Edmonton man pleads guilty in posting of Magnotta video

EDMONTON -- An Edmonton website owner has pleaded guilty in the posting of an infamous video of Luka Magnotta dismembering a Chinese university student in Montreal.

See Full Article

The trial for Mark Marek, who founded bestgore.com, was to start today.

But Marek, who is 41, has pleaded guilty to publishing obscene material -- a charge under the corrupting morals section in the Criminal Code.

He was arrested a year after the 2012 killing of Jun Lin.

Police alleged Magnotta sent Marek the video and that Marek posted it online knowing it depicted a real killing.

Magnotta was convicted in 2014 of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.

The video, titled "1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick," shows a man in a dark hoodie stabbing an already dead Lin and eventually cutting the body into pieces.

Magnotta, who was a porn actor and escort, admitted to killing and dismembering Lin and to mailing the man's hands and feet to political offices in Ottawa and schools in Vancouver. Police in Montreal found Lin's torso in a suitcase.

Magnotta's lawyer argued in court that his client was not criminally responsible for his actions due to a mental disorder. A jury found him guilty after eight days of deliberations.

The gruesome 10-minute video was shown at Magnotta's trial.

An officer testified that it appeared on various sites under different titles and, while some sites removed it at the request of police, bestgore.com resisted.

In a previous email to The Canadian Press, Marek said he removed the video the same day police publicly identified Magnotta as a suspect.

He also said, in a post on his site, that he initially thought the video was a bad joke and he suggested that the site's users had helped identify Magnotta before the police did."I've dedicated my life to fight against Evil and Lies and I know that God and Truth are on my side," he wrote.

Marek, a native of Slovakia, declined an interview before the trial.

He was out on bail and acting as his own lawyer.

His website is still operating. It advertises itself as a reality news website for adults only. It opens with a content warning.

"Videos and images posted on Best Gore are bloody, gut wrenching, teeth grinding, offensive and upsetting. Just as the life itself," it says.

"Best Gore exposes the truth about the humans as a whole and the truth is not always nice."

Police have described the site as disturbingly violent and racist and said it has had as many as 10 million viewers.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Four officers who responded to U.S. Capitol attack have died by suicide

    World News CTV News
    The District of Columbia's police department on Monday said two more police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol have died by suicide, bringing to four the number of known suicides by officers who guarded the building that day. Source
  • U.S. hits 70 per cent vaccination rate -- a month late, amid a surge

    World News CTV News
    The U.S. on Monday finally reached President Joe Biden's goal of getting at least one COVID-19 shot into 70 per cent of American adults -- a month late and amid a fierce surge by the delta variant that is swamping hospitals and leading to new mask rules and mandatory vaccinations around the country. Source
  • China flooding deaths triple to more than 300 after officials revise toll

    World News CBC News
    More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll. The Henan provincial government said 302 people died and 50 remain missing. The vast majority of the victims were in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital, where 292 died and 47 are missing. Source
  • Woman fatally mauled by bear in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Mounties say a female tree planter has been mauled to death by a bear in northern Alberta. RCMP told CTV News they received a call just after 3 p.m. on July 31 regarding an attack in a rural area northwest of Swan Hills. Source
  • Family of Black man fatally shot by police in Repentigny, Que., blame racism for his death

    Canada News CBC News
    The family of a Repentigny, Que., man who died after police shot him three times in the stomach on Sunday are blaming anti-Black racism in the city's police force for his death and are demanding justice. Marie-Mireille Bence, the mother of the victim, called police Sunday morning asking them to bring her son, Jean René Junior Olivier, 37, to the hospital because he was having a mental health issue. Source
  • Calgary woman felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Calgary woman says she felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry and apology

    Canada News CBC News
    WARNING: This story contains distressing details. Former Canadian senator Murray Sinclair and a group representing survivors of the Sixties Scoop are calling for a federal inquiry into the actions and policies of governments that led to thousands of Indigenous children being taken from their homes over four decades and placed with non-Indigenous families. Source
  • FBI used 'provocative photos' of female office staff to catch sexual predators, watchdog says

    World News CTV News
    FBI agents posted provocative photos of female coworkers online without formal authorization as part of sting operations against sex trafficking, according to a new watchdog report. The Justice Department's inspector general said in a report released Monday that some FBI agents "sometimes used photographs of young female support staff employees to pose as minor children or sex workers to entice sexual predators on various social media websites. Source
  • German court sets trial date for former Nazi guard, aged 100

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A German court has set a trial date for a 100-year-old man who is charged with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin during World War II. Source