Trial begins for website owner who posted Magnotta video

EDMONTON -- A trial is to start today for an Edmonton website owner accused of posting an infamous video of Luka Magnotta dismembering a Chinese university student in Montreal.

See Full Article

Mark Marek, who founded bestgore.com, was arrested a year after the 2012 killing of Jun Lin.

Marek, who is 41, has pleaded not guilty to publishing obscene material -- a charge under the corrupting morals section in the Criminal Code and which carries a maximum sentence of two years.

Police have alleged Magnotta sent Marek the video and that Marek posted it online knowing it depicted a real killing.

The video, titled "1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick," shows a man in a dark hoodie stabbing an already dead Lin and eventually cutting the body into pieces.

Magnotta was convicted in 2014 of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.

The porn actor and escort admitted to killing and dismembering Lin and to mailing the man's hands and feet to political offices in Ottawa and schools in Vancouver. Police in Montreal found Lin's torso in a suitcase.

Magnotta's lawyer argued in court that his client was not criminally responsible for his actions due to a mental disorder. A jury found him guilty after eight days of deliberations.

The gruesome 10-minute video was shown at Magnotta's trial.

An officer testified that it appeared on various sites under different titles and, while some sites removed it at the request of police, bestgore.com resisted.

In a previous email to The Canadian Press, Marek said he removed the video the same day police publicly identified Magnotta as a suspect.

He also said, in a post on his site, that he initially thought the video was a bad joke and he suggested that the site's users had helped identify Magnotta before the police did."I've dedicated my life to fight against Evil and Lies and I know that God and Truth are on my side," he wrote.

Marek, a native of Slovakia, declined an interview before the trial.

He is out on bail and acting as his own lawyer.

His website is still operating. It advertises itself as a reality news website for adults only. It opens with a content warning.

"Videos and images posted on Best Gore are bloody, gut wrenching, teeth grinding, offensive and upsetting. Just as the life itself," it says.

"Best Gore exposes the truth about the humans as a whole and the truth is not always nice."

Police have described the site as disturbingly violent and racist and said it has had as many as 10 million viewers.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson in Turkey for talks

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Turkish officials on Thursday discussed ways to co-ordinate the fight against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, a day after Turkey said it has ended a military operation in northern Syria. Source
  • Syrian refugees top 5 million mark, UN refugee agency says

    World News CTV News
    GENEVA - The number of Syrians who have fled their country after six years of war has surpassed the 5 million mark, the UN refugee agency said Thursday. UNHCR announced the milestone a year after participating countries at a Geneva conference pledged to "resettle and facilitate pathways for 500,000 refugees" from Syria - but that only half of those places have been allocated so far. Source
  • 'Did we come here to fight?' Listen to this Vimy vet, who took a bullet to the head

    Canada News CTV News
    Like many teenagers, Bill Harrison was determined to fight in the First World War, even if it meant lying about his age. But the brave young man ended up leaving the war with a bullet in his brain. Source
  • Xi Jinping to meet with Trump in Mar-a-Lago in early April

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and U.S. President Donald Trump will meet for the first time on April 6-7 at the latter's Florida resort, China's foreign ministry announced Thursday. The future relationship between the world's No. Source
  • Conservative drop-off deadline approaches — but does anyone want out?

    Canada News CBC News
    If any of the 14 candidates running for the Conservative leadership are thinking of dropping out and keeping their name off the ballot, they will soon need to make up their minds. But with a midnight deadline looming on Friday, it doesn't seem that anyone is throwing in the towel just yet. Source
  • 'Very depressing': CIBC staff losing jobs to workers in India, expected to help with training

    Canada News CBC News
    CIBC is eliminating up to 130 jobs in its Toronto finance department and outsourcing the work to India. As part of the transition, staff losing their positions must train other local CIBC employees. Those employees then train the workers in India who will be taking over the jobs. Source
  • 'They are scared': CP workers say rookie engineers ill-prepared for dangerous job

    Canada News CBC News
    High in the mountains of southeastern B.C., the conductor of a 25,000-tonne Canadian Pacific Railway freight train pulling 2.5 kilometres of cars loaded with potash got a bad feeling. Headed west to Revelstoke, the train had just cleared a tunnel and was starting to build momentum downhill when he turned to the engineer, the man operating the massive vehicle, and said: "You know we're tippin' over here?" Source
  • U.S. internet service providers get green light to sell user data — but what about Canada?

    Canada News CBC News
    Privacy protections designed to prevent U.S. internet service providers from sharing or selling subscribers' personal information with third parties — without permission — were dismantled by U.S. Congress on Tuesday. It means that information about the apps American internet subscribers use, the websites they visit, and the things they purchase online — among other things — can potentially be tracked, shared, and monetized by third parties, unless those users opt out. Source
  • Federal Court orders public safety minister to make decision in immigration case

    Canada News CBC News
    In a withering ruling, the Federal Court has ordered Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to make up his mind on a politically sensitive immigration case. The decision from Chief Justice Paul Crampton also makes it clear the minister is obliged to make decisions in a reasonable time frame, no matter how busy he is. Source
  • How will we know when police have earned their way back to Toronto Pride?: Robyn Urback

    Canada News CBC News
    If we accept that uniformed police officers should be banned from Pride parades in Toronto, Vancouver and Ottawa because of their history of persecution of racialized, gay and other minority communities, as some local Black Lives Matter (BLM) groups and their supporters contend, then a number of other groups should likewise be prohibited from joining the festivities. Source