Sask. premier, AFN chief to visit La Loche after mass shooting

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall, Assembly of First Nations Chief Perry Bellegarde and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale are headed to the town of La Loche, Sask.

See Full Article

, to join the grief-stricken community in mourning.

The three are scheduled to arrive on Sunday to meet with local residents and extend their condolences, two days after four people were killed in a mass shooting.

"(The purpose of the visit) is to share the grief and the necessary healing in that community," Goodale told CTV News Channel in a phone interview on Sunday.

"That's number one: to share in that horrible sense of loss and to make the point that the country is standing with them."

Goodale also said it would be important for the visiting leaders to listen to the needs of the community.

"This is a community that has had difficulties in the past, and they have a sense that governments haven't listened to them well enough," he said. "Solutions here need to be built from the community up, not from the top down."

Police say a gunman shot and killed four people and injured seven others on Friday at two different locations in La Loche, a remote community of about 3,000 people.

Officers responded to reports of a shooter at a local high school at about 1:15 p.m. on Friday.

The gunman was active for about eight minutes, before police chased him through the school, arrested him and took him into custody, police said.

In those eight minutes, two victims were fatally shot.

Marie Janvier, a 21-year-old tutor, was found dead at the school, and Adam Wood, a 35-year-old teacher, was rushed to hospital and later pronounced dead.

Police then went to a nearby home, where they found Dayne Fontaine, 17, and Drayden Fontaine, 13, dead.

Seven other victims from the school were taken to the La Loche Health Centre and Hospital with injuries. Four were then airlifted to the Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon.

On Saturday, RCMP announced that they had charged a 17-year-old suspect with four counts of first-degree murder in the case.

The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, also faces seven counts of attempted murder and one count of an unauthorized possession of a firearm.

The suspect is expected to appear in the Meadow Lake Provincial Court on Monday.

The high school where the shooting took place remained closed on Sunday as police continued their investigation on the grounds.

The school district superintendent said it is unclear when students will be able to return to classes, and that grief counsellors and social workers were on hand to speak with anybody affected by the event.

A former La Loche teacher, who now lives in Burnaby, B.C., has set up an online fundraiser for the victims of the shooting.

According to the fundraising website, the money is intended to help pay for funerals and supporting those who were injured. Any excess funds will go towards the La Loche Community School.

With files from CTV Saskatoon and the Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump to chair 1st Security Council meeting, expected to take aim at Iran

    World News CBC News
    More world leaders will step up to the podium at the UN General Assembly on Wednesday but the lion's share of attention will be down the hall where U.S. President Donald Trump will be chairing the Security Council. Source
  • Convicted killer of Kim Wall on last day of sentence appeals

    World News CTV News
    COPENHAGEN -- Danish submarine inventor Peter Madsen, convicted of torturing and murdering Swedish reporter Kim Wall last year, appeared in court Wednesday on the last day of his appeal against a life sentence. Closing remarks had been adjourned Sept. Source
  • Case of Bruce McArthur, facing 8 murder counts, back in Toronto court today

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The case of a man facing eight first-degree murder charges following an investigation into the disappearances of men with ties to Toronto's gay village returns to court today. The remains of eight men were found at a Toronto home where 66-year-old Bruce McArthur worked as a landscaper. Source
  • Rod Rosenstein's future is in doubt. Here's how his removal could imperil the Mueller probe

    World News CBC News
    Not long ago, the idea of removing Rod Rosenstein, the U.S. Justice Department official overseeing the special counsel's investigation into President Donald Trump and Russian collusion, seemed improbable. And yet doubts about the deputy attorney general's future are taking shape this week as he prepares for a one-on-one with Trump at the White House on Thursday. Source
  • How Ottawa is reading New Brunswick's wild election result

    Canada News CBC News
    The election results out of New Brunswick don't offer much in the way of clarity. The party that got the most votes failed to win the most seats. No party won a majority. And the leaders of both the provincial Liberal and Conservative parties — separated by a single seat — are claiming the right to first crack at forming a government. Source
  • Mississauga's population is 57% visible minorities. So why does its city council look like this?

    Canada News CBC News
    As a rookie politician taking on an incumbent city councillor, Safeeya Faruqui is already staring down long odds in the upcoming Mississauga, Ont., municipal election. But if the 24-year-old succeeds in her bid for Ward 4 on Oct. Source
  • Parkland school shooting suspect due back in Florida court

    World News CTV News
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Parkland school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz is headed back to a Florida courtroom for a status hearing on his death penalty case. Officials say a number of issues could come up in Wednesday's hearing, including the release of evidence and witness interviews by prosecutors to Cruz's defence lawyers. Source
  • GOP lines up Kavanaugh vote plan as showdown hearing nears

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump denounced Democratic efforts to block Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court confirmation as a cynical "con job" on Tuesday and launched a dismissive attack on a second woman accusing the nominee of sexual misconduct in the 1980s, asserting she "has nothing. Source
  • Laughter at Trump among a long line of shocking UN moments

    World News CTV News
    The laughter was sudden, loud and unexpected. It came at the expense of the U.S. president as he addressed global leaders at the United Nations, and it was witnessed by an audience of tens of millions viewing immediate clips online of an awkward moment for Donald Trump. Source
  • Mexico disarms Acapulco police force linked to drug gangs

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- Authorities in southern Mexico disarmed and placed under investigation the entire police force in the once-glittering resort of Acapulco on Tuesday, claiming the local cops were infiltrated by drug gangs. Officials in Guerrero state issued arrest warrants for two top Acapulco police commanders, accusing them of homicide. Source