Charity delivers food to laid-off Goodwill employees

Former Goodwill employees in Toronto were on the receiving end of some much-needed charity this weekend.

For the second-straight day, Second Harvest, a food redistribution organization, handed out baskets of groceries to workers who were laid off last week.

See Full Article

On Jan. 16, Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario announced it would close 16 stores, 10 donation centres and two offices because of cash flow problems.

"It helps out quite a bit," former Goodwill employee, Christina Schnider, told CTV Toronto.

"For at least a little bit until we can get other employment."

Both Schnider and her husband were among the 430 workers who were affected by last weekend's sudden closures.

"A lot of good people were affected by this, it's really sad," said her husband Nuno Da Chuna."It breaks my heart. (It was) all of a sudden. You're working here one day, and the next it's gone."

The pair was among those who received supplies -- such as fruit, produce, frozen meat, dairy and other staples – donated by Second Harvest on Saturday.

The organization's truck went from one Goodwill location to the next, giving out food to former workers who lined up.

James Nickle, a union representative for Goodwill employees, said it was a nice gesture, particularly given their former roles in the community.

"Normally the employees are the ones helping the less fortunate. Now, they're getting it back in return, thanks to the public and Second Harvest," said Nickle.

In total, Second Harvest gave out food to hundreds of former Goodwill employees from across the Greater Toronto Area.

Debra Lawson, executive director of Second Harvest, said that she hopes the baskets can help sustain them for a week. Lawson said that the charity gave those with larger families a bigger share.

"There some here who have five, six kids, so we know who they are and try to give them a little bit extra," said Lawson.

And they were appreciative of the help.

"It's wonderful to have them here to deliver this food to us, because we're really in need of it," said former Goodwill employee, Sharon Nimblett.

"Losing our job right now, we don’t know what's going to happen out there. So, we're very thankful for it."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Program to study ways to help soldiers transition back to civilian life

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A Canada-wide research study is being launched with the aim of helping members of the Canadian Armed Forces and veterans transition to civilian life. The study, based around a New Brunswick-based program called Shaping Purpose, will examine the experiences of 84 Forces members and veterans. Source
  • Pope Francis to celebrate Mass in Cairo on 2nd day of trip

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO - Pope Francis will celebrate Mass for Egypt's tiny Catholic community and meet with its priests and seminarians before returning to Rome. Local media reports say at least 25,000 are expected at Saturday's Mass in Cairo, which comes on the second day of Francis' two-day trip to the Arab world's most populous country Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $13 million Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    Winning tickets for the Lotto Max draw on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017 were sold in Sarnia and Chatham. Source
  • After delay derails murder trial, mother asks: 'Where are the politicians?'

    Canada News CTV News
    The parents of a man whose accused murderer was set free due to an unreasonable trial delay are asking why it’s taking politicians so long to address the problem. Amine and Nicole Nayel’s son Fouad Nayel, 28, was killed five years ago. Source
  • Filipino troops kill commander of group that kidnapped, beheaded Canadians

    World News CBC News
    The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south.Robert Hall, Canadian hostage, killed by Abu Sayyaf militants in PhilippinesCBC IN MANILA | Few signs of Canadian investigation into Abu Sayyaf beheadings in PhilippinesMilitary chief Gen. Source
  • Filipino troops kill notorious Abu Sayyaf kidnapper in clash

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south. Military chief Gen. Eduardo Ano tells The Associated Press that Alhabsy Misaya was slain in a clash with marines late Friday in the jungles between the towns of Indanan and Parang in Sulu province. Source
  • Donald Trump: North Korea 'disrespected' China with missile test [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said Friday that North Korea had “disrespected” China by attempting to launch another ballistic missile. Trump has said he is counting on Chinese President Xi Jinping to encourage North Korea to give up its pursuit of ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programs. Source
  • Some U.S. lawmakers want parents charged in genital cutting cases

    World News CTV News
    ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Lawmakers in Minnesota and Texas are pushing to crack down on parents involved with genital cutting after an indictment against a Detroit-area doctor accused of performing the procedure on two young Minnesota girls highlighted the little-known practice. Source
  • Three men sentenced for stealing $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL - Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years. Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million. Source
  • Donald Trump to NRA: 'Eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA - President Donald Trump reaffirmed his support for gun rights Friday, telling attendees of a National Rifle Association convention that “the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end.” Trump, the first sitting president to address the group’s annual convention in more than 30 years, assured the audience that he would defend their right to bear arms in a campaign-like speech reminiscent of his election rallies. Source