La Loche shooting: Teen suspect charged with four counts of 1st-degree murder

A 17-year-old male has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder following a mass shooting that left four people dead in La Loche, Sask.

See Full Article

At a press conference on Saturday, RCMP Supt. Grant St. Germaine said that the suspect, who can't be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of attempted murder and a single count of unauthorized possession of a firearm.

"There's never been a school shooting of this magnitude in the country," St. Germaine said.

The suspect is scheduled to make his first court appearance next week.

Teacher, tutor among the victims

Earlier Saturday, a teacher and a tutor were identified as two of the victims of the mass shooting.

Family members confirmed to CTV News that Adam Wood, a new teacher, and Marie Janvier, a tutor, were both killed when a gunman stormed Dene High School on Friday afternoon.

According to a statement from his family, Wood was originally from Uxbridge, Ont.

His family said he moved to La Loche this past September to begin his teaching career, and was enjoying his experience there.

"Adam was quite an adventurer, had a passion for life, and would make you laugh until your stomach hurt," the family said. "He was always up for a good challenge and lived each day joyously."

Ashton Lemaigre, a friend of Janvier's, told the Canadian Press that the tutor was kind and patient with children.

"The kids loved having her around," Lemaigre said. "When we were out and about kids would say 'Hi.' They would just come running to her. And she was just a friend to everybody."

Wood and Janvier were two of four victims killed during the shooting on Friday. An unspecified number of other victims sustained injuries and had to be airlifted to hospital in Saskatoon, which is about 600 kilometres south of La Loche.

Police said they are investigating two different locations.

Mourners gathered at the Dene High School on Friday to pay their respects to the victims with a candlelit vigil.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also offered his condolences on Friday, calling the shooting "a parent's worst nightmare."

"We all grieve with and stand with the community of La Loche and the province of Saskatchewan on this terrible and tragic day," he said from Davos, Switzerland.

With files from CTV's Sarah Plowman and The Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Organizer of Saturday D.C. rally looks to rewrite Jan. 6 history

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The architect of a Washington protest planned for Saturday that aims to rewrite history about the violent January assault on the U.S. Capitol is hardly a household name. Matt Braynard worked as an analyst for the Republican Party, crunched data for a small election firm and later started a consulting business that attracted few federal clients, records show. Source
  • Rittenhouse hearing to decide on evidence allowed at trial

    World News CTV News
    MADISON, WIS. -- A judge was set to decide Friday whether jurors at the trial of a man accused of killing two men and wounding a third during a police brutality protest in Wisconsin last year will see video that prosecutors say shows him talking about wanting to shoot people. Source
  • Minnesota Supreme Court rules Minneapolis voters may decide on abolishing the police department in upcoming elections

    World News CTV News
    The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Thursday that voters in Minneapolis may decide on abolishing the police department in the upcoming municipal elections. The measure, if approved, would amend the city charter to replace the Minneapolis Police Department with a new Department of Public Safety. Source
  • B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs

    Canada News CBC News
    B.C. says it won't be able to take any of Alberta's extra intensive care unit patients at a time when that province's hospitals are buckling under the weight of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19. Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services (AHS) said Wednesday it will ask other provinces if they can take ICU patients who need care, or spare staff that can work in intensive care units. Source
  • Cuba begins vaccinating children as young as 2

    World News CTV News
    HAVANA -- Sitting on her mother's lap, 2-year-old Lucia looked at the illustrations in her book while around her several children watched the doctors in white coats and nurses with thermometers in amazement. In an adjoining room, Danielito, also 2, sniffled while getting a shot as a clown tried to distract him. Source
  • Haiti PM, under fire, addresses evidence in leader's slaying

    World News CTV News
    PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI -- The office of Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry issued its first public statement Thursday about evidence authorities say they have of phone calls between him and a key suspect in the presidential assassination, saying he received countless calls from people concerned for his safety following the slaying. Source
  • U.S. boosts security, warns risk of violence at pro-Trump Capitol rally

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Travellers arriving at the airport nearest Washington, D.C., will face increased security in the run-up to a planned Saturday rally supporting people charged with taking part in the deadly Jan. 6 riot, the U.S. Source
  • Lawyer charged in probe of Trump-Russia investigation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The prosecutor tasked with examining the U.S. government's investigation into Russian election interference charged a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on Thursday with making a false statement to the FBI. The case against the attorney, Michael Sussmann, is just the second prosecution brought by special counsel John Durham in two-and-a-half years of work. Source
  • Florida surpasses 50,000 COVID-19 deaths after especially deadly summer fuelled by delta variant

    World News CBC News
    Florida surpassed 50,000 coronavirus deaths since the pandemic began, health officials reported Thursday, with more than one-fourth of those succumbing this summer as the state battled a fierce surge in infections fuelled by the delta variant. Source
  • Father files $1M lawsuit after daughter's hair cut by Michigan teacher

    World News CBC News
    The father of a seven-year-old Michigan girl whose hair was cut by a teacher without her parents' permission has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the school district, a librarian and a teacher's assistant. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Grand Rapids against Mount Pleasant Public Schools, MLive.com reported. Source