Suspects sought in case of Winnipeg teen thrown in dumpster

Police are asking for help in identifying two men they say are responsible for attacking and throwing a Winnipeg teen with intellectual disabilities in a dumpster.

See Full Article

Jean-Michael Morrissette, 13, doesn't like to talk about what happened to him after school on Jan. 7.

But his parents say their son was on his way home, in the city's North End, when he was approached by two men who assaulted him and threw him in a dumpster in an alley near Flora Avenue and Parr Street.

"This happened at 3 p.m. in the afternoon, (in) broad daylight," Sgt. Rob Kanaski, of the Winnipeg Police Service, said at a press conference on Friday.

"He was yelling and screaming when they were dragging him. Anyone in the vicinity would have known that he was in distress."

Morrissette spent hours in the trash bin on a day when temperatures hovered around -15 C.

The 13-year-old was eventually found by Nicole Langlois, who initially heard faint cries when she was walking past the dumpster that evening, but didn't know where they were coming from.

She returned a few hours later and found Morrissette sleeping in the dumpster, covered with garbage.

"He wasn't seriously injured, but the emotional injury that he sustained is quite substantial," said Kanaski.

Police have canvassed the area and looked at surveillance video, but they haven't been able to track down the two male suspects.

Morrissette's father, John, is hoping that someone will come forward with information that can help advance investigation.

"I want to plea to the public: Think about it as being your kid," he said. "This is our kids that play in this area – that live in the area – let's make it safe again."

Anyone with information is being asked to contact police at 204-986-2848 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.

With a report from CTV Winnipeg's Michelle Gerwing



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Kevin O'Leary makes late entry into Conservative leadership race

    Canada News CBC News
    It's finally official: Kevin O'Leary will run to become leader of the Conservative Party of Canada. After months of flirting with the idea, he picked the morning after the French leadership debate and used a video on his Facebook page to declare his candidacy. Source
  • 3 large earthquakes hit central Italy in an hour; no deaths reported

    World News CTV News
    ROME -- Italian Premier Paolo Gentiloni says it seems there were no fatalities from the three strong earthquakes that rocked the same area of central Italy that was devastated by quakes last year. Gentiloni said Wednesday was a "difficult day" for Italy. Source
  • Freezing rain cancels school bus service in southern and eastern Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Thousands of Ontario students who take a bus to school will get to stay home today -- many of them for a second day in a row. Icy roads in the Greater Toronto Area and much of eastern Ontario have prompted officials to keep school buses off the roads, although in most cases, the affected schools will be open today. Source
  • ISIS driven out of eastern Mosul, area now under government control

    World News CBC News
    Elite Iraqi forces have driven Islamic State fighters from all districts of eastern Mosul they were tasked with recapturing, their commanding officer said on Wednesday, bringing almost all of the city's eastern half under government control. Source
  • Sanders grills Trump's education pick with a $200M question

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In a sometimes contentious confirmation hearing, education secretary pick Betsy DeVos pledged that she would not seek to dismantle public schools amid questions by Democrats about her qualifications, political donations and long-time work advocating for charter schools and school choice. Source
  • Three earthquakes rattle Italy, tremors felt in Rome

    World News CBC News
    Three earthquakes hit central Italy in the space of an hour Wednesday, shaking the same region that suffered a series of deadly quakes last year. There were no immediate reports of casualties but tremors were felt as far away as Rome, where the subway was closed as a precaution and parents were asked to pick up their children from schools. Source
  • Attack in northern Mali kills at least 33, dozens injured

    World News CBC News
    A local official says at least 33 people have been killed and several dozen injured after an explosives-laden vehicle targeted a camp housing armed groups in northern Mali. Wednesday morning's blast hit the Joint Operational Mechanism base in the city of Gao. Source
  • Russia extends residence permit for Edward Snowden

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russian authorities have extended a residence permit for U.S. intelligence contractor Edward Snowden, who leaked thousands of secret documents from the National Security Agency. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in a post on Facebook late Tuesday that Snowden's residence permit has been extended for "a couple of years. Source
  • Israeli Arab, policeman killed in clashes over demolitions

    World News CBC News
    An Israeli Arab rammed his vehicle into a group of police officers on Wednesday, killing one of them before he was shot dead during clashes in southern Israel over a court-ordered operation to demolish illegally built homes, police said, while local residents accused the police of using excessive force against demonstrators. Source
  • Alzheimer's patient allowed to leave secure unit with man once accused of defrauding her

    Canada News CBC News
    Secure units at nursing homes are meant to keep patients with dementia in, but a Newfoundland family is now questioning who is responsible for keeping others out. Two days before Christmas, 81-year-old Ida Connors — who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease — was taken from the secure unit of a long-term care home in St. Source