Saskatchewan says refugee influx straining resources

REGINA -- Saskatchewan Immigration Minister Jeremy Harrison says the arrival of nearly 600 Syrian refugees over the last couple of months is straining resources.

See Full Article

Harrison says the province has been working hard with Ottawa, municipal governments and settlement agencies to make sure that refugees are set up to succeed. But he says that has "put some very real stress" on the system.

"We're seeing areas where our resources are being taxed," Harrison said Thursday at the legislature.

"We want to make sure that those (who) arrive, are here and are going to be successful here."

Harrison says some of the biggest demand is around English language training. There are a limited number of Arabic speakers who are able to work with newcomers, he said.

"We know one of the most significant determinants of success for new arrivals is language," he said.

"That's kind of your greatest determinant of your ability to attach to the labour market, to get a job. This one chokepoint particularly (is)where ... we're going to need additional resources for language training and we've communicated that with the government of Canada."

Saskatchewan is expected to take in a total of 850 refugees by the end of February.

Some cities, including Vancouver and Ottawa, are taking a break from accepting any more government-assisted Syrian refugees as settlement agencies try to work through housing issues. A surge of arrivals in the last month has filled temporary housing to capacity and settlement groups say they need time to move people into permanent homes before they can accept any new cases.

In Prince Albert, Sask., the government said the YWCA asked for a pause this week so that it could get caught up on moving people out of hotels and into apartments.

The pause applies to government-assisted refugees, those whose costs are covered entirely by the federal government. Upon arrival in Canada, they are sent to one of 36 cities that have resettlement agreements with the government.

Finding permanent places for refugees to live has been going well in Saskatchewan, said Harrison.

"We've been successful there, but in terms of speeding up the process, that's not something we're asking for right now."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Activists plan to stay in North Dakota protest camps after blocking of pipeline route

    World News CTV News
    Activists and residents of the sprawling Dakota Access pipeline protest camp say they're pleased with the decision by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to block the project route, but are committed to keep the camps running. Source
  • Homeless prostitute planned to eat penis of man found dead in tub with genitals chopped off: Report

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — A 32-year-old homeless prostitute has been charged in the death of a 68-year-old man who was found dead in a New York City bathroom with his penis chopped off, according to a report by The New York Daily News. Source
  • Trump defends call with Taiwan's leader

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK - President-elect Donald Trump continued to use Twitter Sunday to defend his engagement with the leader of Taiwan, a breach of diplomatic protocol as the U.S. shifted recognition from Taiwan to China nearly 40 years ago. Source
  • More people should engage in politics so 'no party gets to run against Muslim Canadians,' Justin Trudeau says

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadians from different backgrounds should get involved in politics so that "no party gets to run against Muslim Canadians or any other group," says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.You can watch and read more about the discussion with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday at CBC.ca/Toronto. Source
  • University class takes on case of B.C. woman stripped of citizenship

    Canada News CTV News
    SQUAMISH, B.C. -- A group of university students in Squamish, B.C., is hoping their school work will help change the life of a woman whose Canadian citizenship was stripped under a little-known policy. Leanne Roderick, an instructor at Quest University, wanted the 20 students in her democracy and justice class to meet someone who was really wrestling with representative democracy in Canada, so she introduced them to a local woman named Byrdie Funk. Source
  • Accused hatchet-killing teen chatted about plan to murder grandfather on Kik: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A North Carolina teenager charged with killing his grandfather with a hatchet discussed the crime in advance with a still-unidentified person on a cellphone messaging app, law enforcement authorities said in an affidavit. According to a detective’s affidavit for a search warrant, the then-15-year-old discussed his forming plans before attacking Joseph Emmett Naulty, 63, in August, the Fayetteville Observer reported. Source
  • New Zealand PM John Key resigns after 8 years as leader

    World News CBC News
    New Zealand's popular Prime Minister John Key stunned the nation on Monday when he announced he was resigning after eight years as leader. Key had been widely expected to contest his fourth general election next year. Source
  • New Zealand Prime Minister John Key resigns after 8 years

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand's popular Prime Minister John Key stunned the nation on Monday when he announced he was resigning after eight years as leader. Key had been widely expected to contest his fourth general election next year. Source
  • Heartbroken family set to return to Medicine Hat without baby son's stolen ashes [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    It’s been a traumatic weekend for a Medicine Hat family, who will be going back home heartbroken after their baby’s ashes stolen over the weekend in Calgary remain missing. Laura Hudson and her husband Nathan issued a desperate plea for help Saturday after she discovered her purse, which contained the ashes of her late son Hunter, had been stolen from a Calgary hotel bar the night before. Source
  • Twitter account belonging to 7-year-old Syrian girl disappears

    World News CTV News
    For months, 7-year-old Bana Alabed has turned to Twitter to share harrowing scenes and stories from her war-ravaged hometown of Aleppo, Syria. On Sunday, with the city under fierce attack from Russian warplanes and Syrian government forces, her account disappeared. Source