Privacy concerns keep people from reporting child abuse: Ont. officials

TORONTO -- Recent inquests into the deaths of Ontario children have failed to shake persistent myths that prevent many people from reporting concerns about kids to child welfare authorities, two provincial offices said Wednesday.

See Full Article

Teachers, police officers and other professionals who deal with children often remain reluctant to share information with children's aid societies due to common misconceptions about privacy, according to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario and the Provincial Advocate for Children and Youth.

Though they may mean well, their hesitation is misguided and may put children at risk, the officials said.

"Professionals who are working with children not only may share information that may help protect that child, but in some cases, have a duty to share that information," said the privacy commissioner, Brian Beamish.

A new pamphlet released Wednesday aims to clear up those misunderstandings by laying out those responsibilities.

The 15-page document will be distributed to teachers, health-care practitioners, law enforcement and children's aid societies through professional associations.

The need for greater communication between those who work with and care for children has been at the forefront of several coroner's inquests into the death of children.

Recommendations issued in the Jeffrey Baldwin inquest suggested a public awareness campaign about people's duty to report concerns about child abuse or neglect, and reminders to professionals about their legal duties.

Jeffrey Baldwin was a healthy baby when he and his siblings were placed in the care of their grandparents, but over the next few years the boy fell multiple times through society's safety nets and starved to death.

"There's been some impetus from that inquest, after some pushing, to help people understand more the importance about the duty to report and how serious an obligation it is," said Irwin Elman, Ontario's advocate for children and youth.

However, he said, "I think more can be done."

The issue has also been raised at the inquest into the death of eight-year-old Katelynn Sampson, who died at the hands of her guardians in 2008. The inquest is scheduled to resume Monday.

"There are many times when points of protection fail and our worry is we don't want it to fail because there's some myth out there about sharing information about the needs of a child," Elman said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ginsburg's impact on women spanned age groups, backgrounds

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Sure, there were the RBG bobbleheads, the Halloween getups, the lace collars, the workout videos. The "I dissent" T-shirts, the refrigerator magnets, the onesies for babies or costumes for cats. And yes, the face masks, with slogans like: "You can't spell TRUTH without RUTH. Source
  • Woman accused of sending ricin letter to White House arrested

    Canada News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Three law enforcement officials say a woman suspected of sending an envelope containing the poison ricin, which was addressed to White House, has been arrested at the New York-Canada border. The officials say the woman was taken into custody by U.S. Source
  • Woman suspected of mailing ricin to White House arrested at U.S.-Canada border

    World News CBC News
    Three U.S. law enforcement officials say a woman suspected of sending an envelope containing the poison ricin, which was addressed to White House and President Donald Trump, has been arrested at the New York-Canada border. The officials say the woman was taken into custody by U.S. Source
  • Searchers find body of one of two teens missing after boat capsized off P.E.I.

    Canada News CTV News
    ALBERTON, P.E.I. -- An underwater search team has found the body of one of two 17-year-old boys who went missing when their boat capsized off Prince Edward Island last week. An RCMP spokesman says searchers recovered the body of Ethan Reilly at about 5:30 p.m. Source
  • Storm-weary Texas, Louisiana prepare as Beta churns closer

    World News CBC News
    Tropical storm Beta trudged toward the coasts of Texas and Louisiana on Sunday, threatening to bring more rain, wind and stress to a part of the country that has already been drenched and battered during this year's unusually busy hurricane season. Source
  • Alberta couldn't sell bonds earlier this year, Kenney says, as he continues push for federal reform

    Canada News CBC News
    As part of Alberta Premier Jason Kenney's push for Ottawa to recalculate its fiscal stabilization fund, he cited government bonds Sunday as a dire indicator of the necessity for federal aid. "To be blunt, there were a few weeks where we couldn't sell Alberta government bonds," Kenney said in an interview on CTV's Question Period. Source
  • Shapovalov's run in Rome ends in 3-set semifinal loss to Diego Schwartzman

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadian Denis Shapovalov's steady run at the Italian Open ended Sunday with a semifinal loss to Diego Schwartzman of Argentina. The No. 8-seeded Schwartzman beat Shapovalov 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (4) to advance to Monday's finals, where he'll play world No. Source
  • Thousands protest Netanyahu; many ignore Israeli virus rules

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- Thousands of Israelis resumed their weekly protest Sunday outside Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's official residence in central Jerusalem, despite a new nationwide lockdown order aimed at curbing a raging coronavirus outbreak. An exception allowing people to hold public demonstrations was included in the three-week lockdown imposed last Friday. Source
  • Horse trailer flips on Hwy. 401 in Kingston, Ont., horses treated for cuts

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON -- Two horses were treated for minor cuts after a horse trailer flipped on Highway 401 in Kingston, Ont. Ontario Provincial Police say the incident happened in the westbound lanes of Highway 401 at Highway 38 Sunday afternoon. Source
  • Sask. reports 20 new COVID-19 cases

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- Saskatchewan reported 20 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases to 140. There are seven new cases located in the Saskatoon area, 10 in the Regina area and two in the south east region. Source