B.C. men-only charity group draws criticism

A charity group is stirring controversy by barring women from its gatherings.

The Kelowna, B.C.-based organization, 100 Men Who Give a Damn, bills itself as "a group of men who want to give back to their community but have limited time.

See Full Article

"

Since the first '100 Men' chapter launched in Halifax in 2014, local groups have sprung up in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia.

In Kelowna, the organization's 349 members meet once every quarter, when they are expected to show up with a $100 donation.

The meetings officially run from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., during which time the men listen to presentations from three charities, and then vote on which one they think most deserves the donations raised that night.

Before the formal part of the meeting begins, there's an hour set aside for registration, networking and buying drinks at the cash bar. And afterwards, there's a "post-event reception" at the bar.

The men involved, who include the city's mayor and a local MP, say it's an opportunity to give back and meet like-minded people.

"When you're surrounded by people who have the same views as you, it's a great way to network," one man says in a promotional video for the organization.

But the group's men-only functions are making some critics uneasy.

"This is worrying," Ilya Park, a women's studies professor at the University of British Columbia's Okanagan Campus told CTV Vancouver. "It sends an important message about the vision they have of the future of this community."

It's not the first time a local group has been criticized for excluding women.

Until early January, the local Junior Chamber of Commerce, or Kelowna Jaycees, did not allow women either.

"Women are being excluded in an ongoing kind of systemic fashion," Park said.

While 100 Men Who Give a Damn declined an interview, a statement from the group's co-founder says the group's purpose is to give back, not to create a men's-only social club.

"The focus of the 100 Men Who Give a Damn group is not meant to be a business or networking one but instead, about doing something good for our community," Brett Millard said.

And the Kelowna chapter's website recommends women who want to get involved check out a similar organization geared towards them.

"Ladies, feeling left out?" the website reads. "Please check out 100WomenWhoCare.ca"

According to their website, the Kelowna women's group also holds regular meetings where members are expected to bring a $50 donation and have the option of socializing at a cash bar.

Speaking with CTV Vancouver, the head of the women's group said she supports the men's cause, but added that socializing shouldn't be the main purpose of the events.

"If it's going to be a networking group then absolutely, they need to rethink it," Rose Sexsmith said.

The 100 Men Who Give a Damn Kelowna chapter's next meeting is scheduled for Feb. 2, at the Kelowna Yacht Club.

There are no plans to include women at that event.

With files from CTV Vancouver



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Tight race between Liberals and Tories as New Brunswick goes to the polls

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- New Brunswick voters go to the polls today in a provincial election that appears to be a tight race between the incumbent Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives. Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is looking to become the first New Brunswick premier to win a second term since 2003. Source
  • Man accused of killing four people in Fredericton to make court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A Fredericton man, accused of killing four people, including two city police officers, in a shooting spree last month makes this second court appearance today. Matthew Vincent Raymond faces four counts of murder in the deaths of Const. Source
  • Decision expected in trial of Dellen Millard, accused of killing his father

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A decision is expected today in the case of a man accused of killing his father, whose death was initially deemed a suicide. Dellen Millard, 32, of Toronto, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of 71-year-old Wayne Millard. Source
  • New sexual misconduct accusation roils Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CBC News
    A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperilled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fuelled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • New misconduct accusations roil Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperiled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fueled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • New sexual-misconduct accusation rocks Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperiled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fueled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • Trump at UN to again confront North Korea's nuclear threat

    World News CTV News
    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. -- As he begins the sequel to his stormy U.N. debut, President Donald Trump will again confront the dangers posed by North Korea's nuclear threat, though its shadow may appear somewhat less ominous than a year ago. Source
  • In a first, Hong Kong bans pro-independence political party

    World News CBC News
    Authorities in Hong Kong have taken an unprecedented step against separatist voices by banning a political party that advocates independence for the southern Chinese territory on national security grounds. Hong Kong's secretary for security, John Lee, announced Monday that the Hong Kong National Party will be prohibited from operation. Source
  • Yemen could run out of food in as little as 2 months: Oxfam

    World News CTV News
    A country where millions of people are already starving could run out of food in as little as two months if a key port gets shut down, desperate aid workers in Yemen say. The United Nations says that three-quarters of war-torn Yemen’s 29 million people rely on humanitarian assistance, including eight million who are considered “severely food insecure. Source
  • U.S. Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh denies 2nd sexual misconduct allegation

    World News CBC News
    The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing Thursday for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, a woman who says he sexually assaulted her as a teenager, as second claim of sexual misconduct emerged from another woman. Source