Dozens of families with no-fly list stories contact Ontario boy's mother

OTTAWA - It turns out the little Ontario boy who's been having trouble boarding airplanes is far from alone.

The whirlwind of publicity about six-year-old Syed Adam Ahmed's difficulty at the airport has prompted dozens of other families with similar stories to contact Khadija Cajee, the boy's mother.

See Full Article

Twenty-one of them agreed to be mentioned in a letter that Cajee has sent to federal cabinet ministers involved in the high-profile issue.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale promised to investigate after Adam's father, Sulemaan Ahmed, tweeted a photo from Toronto's international airport that appeared to show the boy's name with a "DHP" or "deemed high profile" label and instructions on how to proceed before allowing the youngster to check in.

They were trying to board an Air Canada flight Dec. 31 to Boston to see the NHL Winter Classic.

Tales of other children with the same sorts of travel challenges soon emerged. And now Adam's mother has become an unofficial liaison with the Liberal government on behalf of many families.

"When they saw this in the media, they contacted us," said Cajee, who lives in Markham, Ont. "Because I guess they were surprised and happy to know they were not the only ones."

The 21 cases Cajee is sharing in confidence with Goodale and other ministers involve Canadian-born children ranging in age from six months to 17 years.

"They've never been denied boarding, but they've all had some level of delay and inconvenience," Cajee said.

"Some of them have actually missed flights because of this."

After Adam's case hit the headlines, Goodale said his officials had reminded airlines they don't need to vet children against Canada's no-fly list.

His department is also exploring possible changes to the Secure Air Travel Regulations that would help identify those who have similar or the same names as people on the no-fly list, but are not the intended targets.

In addition, Goodale indicated the no-fly regime - officially known as the Passenger Protect Program - would be examined during broad public consultations on Canada's overall security framework.

In a statement at the time, Adam's parents welcomed Goodale's announcement, saying he "addressed several key points that we asked for."

Since then, Cajee has sent followup queries to the family's MP - Health Minister Jane Philpott - and the ministers of public safety, transport and foreign affairs.

"Honestly, I think we have more questions now than we did before," Cajee said.

The family would like to know if Adam is no longer flagged in the system and, if not, when he will be removed.

However, it's difficult to understand exactly why he and the other young travellers have been stopped at the airport, in part due to the quiet use of U.S. air-security lists in Canada.

Other countries are at liberty to develop their own rules for their own purposes, Goodale said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

"But it can have a spillover effect that is very difficult to manage. We'll obviously look at that in the process of the consultation that we're going to undertake with the airlines and with the general public. It's just critically important to get this balance right."

Meantime, Adam is slated to fly to Edmonton in March, the boy's mother said. "So we'll see what happens."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Southwest plane passenger dilemma: Protect child or try to save victim

    World News CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- As Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 plunged, passenger Hollie Mackey was torn between trying to save a woman whose upper body was being sucked out of a broken window and protecting the child beside her from a similar fate. Source
  • Students marking Columbine anniversary to walk out across U.S. in call for gun control

    World News CBC News
    Thousands of students across the United States will mark the 19th anniversary of the massacre at Columbine High School by walking out of classes on Friday, in a show of unity intended to put pressure on politicians to enact tighter gun restrictions. Source
  • Cost of living rose in March to highest level since 2014

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's inflation rate hit 2.3 per cent in the year up to March, the highest level since October 2014 as gas prices and just about everything else got more expensive. Statistics Canada reported Friday that seven of the eight components the data agency tracks rose in March. Source
  • 'I was so scared': Beaver on the lam after break-in attempt

    Canada News CTV News
    It may have only been about 30 centimetres tall with a plump figure and a slow waddle, but a buck-toothed beaver delivered quite the scare when it tried to gnaw its way into a home in Nanaimo, B.C. Source
  • Basque militant group ETA: 'We really are sorry'

    World News CTV News
    MADRID -- The Basque militant group ETA on Friday offered an unprecedented apology for the pain caused during its more than four decades of armed campaign for independence from Spain and France, and vowed not to return to violence. Source
  • In Comey memos, Trump talks of jailed journalists, 'hookers'

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In a series of startlingly candid conversations, U.S. President Donald Trump told former FBI Director James Comey that he had serious concerns about the judgment of a top adviser, asked about the possibility of jailing journalists and described a boast from Vladimir Putin about Russian prostitutes, according to Comey's notes of the talks obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday night. Source
  • Italian city refuses to register baby born to lesbians

    World News CTV News
    MILAN -- A councilwoman in the Italian city of Turin says authorities have refused to register her newborn, conceived abroad by artificial insemination, due to Italian laws that make fertility treatments available only to heterosexual couples. Source
  • Basque separatist group ETA apologizes to victims ahead of dissolution

    World News CBC News
    The Basque militant group ETA on Friday apologized for the harm caused to victims and their relatives during its half-century-long violent campaign to create an independent state in northern Spain and southwest France. The apology comes as the group is expected to announce its final dissolution early next month, just over a year after it ended its armed separatist campaign by surrendering guns and explosives. Source
  • Arsene Wenger ends 22-year run at Arsenal

    World News CBC News
    Arsene Wenger is leaving Arsenal after 22 seasons in charge against the backdrop of growing disillusionment from fans as the team struggles to compete for the Premier League title. The 68-year-old Frenchman said Friday he will leave the London club at the end of the season, ending the tenure of English soccer's longest-serving manager. Source
  • Who's next? Leaders to discuss next Commonwealth head

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Commonwealth leaders are meeting at Windsor Castle, where they are set to discuss whether Prince Charles should succeed his mother Queen Elizabeth II as head of the 53-nation alliance. The queen has headed the association of Britain and its former colonies throughout her 66-year reign, but the position is not hereditary. Source