Province aims to open another lane of Nipigon bridge by end of Feb.

Ontario's minister of transportation says he's confident the province will be able to re-open the Nipigon River Bridge to two lanes by the end of February.

See Full Article

The four-lane cable-stayed bridge has been reduced to one lane since reopening to traffic after the failure of the structure earlier this month. The bridge is part of the Trans-Canada highway and connects east and west travel in Ontario’s north.

Part of the bridge's steel decking separated and rose about 60 centimetres on Jan. 10.

This week, two independent labs started work to determine what caused the bridge to fail.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said, during a teleconference on Monday, that in order to complete the work temporary short-term full closures of the bridge will be necessary during off-peak hours.

Del Duca said, since the bridge has been reduced to one lane, the average wait time to cross the bridge has been between five and 10 minutes.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • White House press secretary Sean Spicer: 'Our intention is never to lie'

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK - White House press secretary Sean Spicer told a roomful of reporters that “our intention is never to lie to you,” although sometimes the Trump administration may “disagree with the facts.” Spicer’s first full press briefing was closely watched Monday following a weekend statement about President Donald Trump’s inauguration audience that included incorrect assertions. Source
  • Federal Court of Appeal dismisses First Nations' challenge of Site C dam

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - The Federal Court of Appeal has dismissed a legal challenge filed by two First Nations of the $8.8-billion Site C dam project in northeast British Columbia. The Prophet River First Nation and the West Moberly First Nations appealed a Federal Court judge's decision to deny their application for a judicial review of the project's environmental approvals. Source
  • Saint John councillors to vote on removing racist word from place names

    Canada News CTV News
    Councillors in Saint John, N.B., are expected to vote on whether to remove the word “negro” -- long considered to be racist and a relic of the past -- from at least three place names in the city. Source
  • Vancouver woman killed in traffic accident in Thailand

    Canada News CBC News
    A Vancouver woman was killed in a traffic accident in Thailand and a fellow traveller seriously injured. Ali Lambert, 20, died from her injuries, her father Doug told CBC. Canadian consular officials say they are providing assistance to the family as well to relatives of another Canadian who was injured. Source
  • Dutch PM, trailing anti-immigration lawmaker in polls, says integrate or leave

    World News CBC News
    Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte sought to lure voters away from anti-immigration lawmaker Geert Wilders, as campaigning for the March 15 national elections heated up on Monday. In a full-page newspaper message, Rutte said "we have to actively defend our values" against people who refuse to integrate or act antisocially. Source
  • The ‘alternative facts’ of life

    World News Toronto Sun
    “Just the facts, ma’am,” Det. Joe Friday used to say on Dragnet, when I was a pup. Back then, the world was as black and white as our TV shows. Facts were facts. The truth was naked, unvarnished, unbent and gospel. Source
  • Amber Alert issued in U.S. for B.C. girl, 9, believed to be with mother

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in New Westminster, B.C., say that an Amber Alert has been issued in the United States for nine-year-old Makayla Estrada-Weber. Police said in a press release that Estrada-Weber was taken by her mother, Wilma Estrada, during a custody visit, and that they crossed the international border. Source
  • SNL's Katie Rich suspended for Barron Trump tweet

    World News Toronto Sun
    An outraged Twitter mob is calling on NBC to sack Saturday Night Live writer Katie Rich following an egregious attack on Donald Trump’s youngest son, Barron. Rich targeted the 10-year-old in a “disgusting” tweet on Inauguration Day, writing: “Barron will be this country’s first homeschool shooter. Source
  • ’No reason to believe’ Dunphy violent, officer tells inquiry

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — The Newfoundland police officer who says Don Dunphy aimed a rifle at him before he shot him three times saw no conflict in sending an email explaining his actions to the lead RCMP investigator. Source
  • Pipeline breach southeast of Regina leaks 200,000 litres of crude oil

    Canada News CTV News
    STOUGHTON, Sask. -- A pipeline has leaked about 200,000 litres of crude oil onto agricultural land in southeastern Saskatchewan. Government spokeswoman Kathy Young says the spill site 10 kilometres north of Stoughton is in a low-lying area with a frozen slough. Source