Nearly 350 reports made of explicit images being shared without consent

WINNIPEG - The Canadian Centre for Child Protection says it has received almost 350 reports in the last 10 months of sexual images being shared online without people's consent.

See Full Article

Nearly half the cases from across Canada involved teenagers between 15 and 17.

Centre director Lianna McDonald says there are individuals who misuse technology to exploit and to abuse vulnerable people.

McDonald spoke alongside Manitoba government officials yesterday to mark a new law against so-called revenge porn and other online abuse.

The law allows any Manitoban whose intimate images are shared without consent to sue the perpetrators.

The legislation also empowers the Canadian Centre for Child Protection, which is funded federally and provincially, to help victims to get their images taken down from websites and social media platforms.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Plane nose-dives into California homes, killing 3 people [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. — A small plane crashed into two homes in Riverside Monday evening shortly after taking off from a nearby airport, leaving fiery wreckage that nearly destroyed one of the homes, officials said. The Cessna 310 aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from Riverside Municipal Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. Source
  • Pennsylvania nurse James Close allegedly recorded videos of naked patients: Police

    World News Toronto Sun
    YARDLEY, PA. - Authorities say a Pennsylvania nurse recorded videos of naked female patients. Lower Makefield police say 45-year-old James Close, of Abington, who works at Penn Medicine Dermatology, was arrested on Feb. 13 after a 17-year-old patient noticed a phone on the ground had been recording her while naked. Source
  • Audi driver pleads guilty after video shows him mowing down man in road-rage

    Canada News CTV News
    GRAPHIC CONTENT warning: Some of the content in this video is disturbing. SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- A 69-year-old man has pleaded guilty after being captured on video mowing down another man in a Saint John, N.B. Source
  • After decades in Canada, 59-year-old man faces deportation to Netherlands

    Canada News CTV News
    On the day a 59-year-old man who has lived in Canada almost his whole life, but never obtained citizenship, is due in court over his scheduled deportation to the Netherlands, an immigration lawyer explains how other long-time residents of this country could suddenly find themselves ordered out. Source
  • Former teacher and ex-softball coach Robert Ruben Ornelas sentenced for assaulting girls in Philippines

    World News Toronto Sun
    SANTA ANA, CALIF. - A former Southern California teacher has been sentenced to 190 years in federal prison for travelling to the Philippines to have sex with young girls and videotaping the encounters. Robert Ruben Ornelas was found guilty in November on seven counts including having illicit sexual conduct in a foreign country and producing child pornography. Source
  • Video captures New Brunswick senior mowing down man with SUV

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    “He smoked him.” That's what a frantic woman told an emergency dispatcher last Thursday after watching her friend get run down by a vehicle. Gene Williams, 69, of Saint John, N.B. pleaded guilty to assault with a weapon, dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an incident after using his sport utility vehicle to intentionally hit the man. Source
  • Protests, 'alternative facts' surround Trump Tower opening in Vancouver

    Canada News CTV News
    Vancouver police are preparing for a day of protests outside the new Trump International Hotel and Tower in Vancouver, as the U.S. president's sons come to town to open the family-branded hotel. Donald Trump Jr. Source
  • Donald Trump claims Barack Obama is 'behind' large-scale organized protests

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump claims his predecessor, Barack Obama, is "behind" the large-scale organization of activists who have continuously protested his first month in office. In an interview Monday with Fox News Channel, Trump said that he believes his predecessor is helping to organize the protests. Source
  • Kim Jong Nam's body sought by North Korean diplomats [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — North Korea is seeking the body of Kim Jong Un’s half brother. A high-level North Korean delegation arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday seeking the body of leader Kim Jong Nam, the victim of a nerve-agent attack that many suspect the North itself of orchestrating. Source
  • Donald Trump clarifies correspondents' dinner snub: 'I am not a hypocrite. I haven’t been treated properly'

    World News Toronto Sun
    In a taped White House sit-down with Fox News that aired Tuesday morning, President Donald Trump previewed a speech he’ll give Tuesday night to a joint session of Congress. During the roughly 10-minute Fox and Friends segment, Trump provided highlights of the looming address – which will cover military spending, healthcare, the economy and his push to curb illegal immigration. Source