Vancouver, Ottawa ask feds for break from taking in Syrian refugees

OTTAWA -- Two cities, Vancouver and Ottawa, are taking a break from accepting any more government-assisted Syrian refugees as agencies in both cities try to work through housing bottlenecks.

See Full Article

A surge of arrivals in the last month filled temporary housing to capacity and the settlement groups responsible say they need time to move people into permanent homes before they can accept any new cases.

The director of settlement for the Immigrant Services Society of B.C. says the pause in Vancouver will last five days, beginning Tuesday. Even though the group added 700 beds to its housing stock, it is still taking time to find permanent homes, Chris Friesen said.

"Nobody is stuck in an airport for a week or something like that," he said. "Overseas, what it means is either they will put them on later flights or they may (send) them to new centres that have current capacity just to keep the flow going," he said.

Friesen said it also took more time than expected for the federal Immigration Department to process the cheques newcomers use to pay for their first homes and other needs.

In Ottawa, officials had been gearing up for large numbers of privately sponsored refugees but what came first was the influx of government-assisted ones, filling the available beds. A delay in accepting new government-assisted refugees could last as long as a week.

"The timing just needs to be spread out a bit, it's just been this huge influx over a two-week period," said Leslie Emory, the executive director of the Ottawa Immigrant Community Services Organization.

The pause only applies to government-assisted refugees, those whose costs are covered entirely by the federal government.

Upon arrival in Canada, they are sent to one of 36 cities that have resettlement agreements with the government. Of the 25,000 Syrians the Liberals plan to bring in by the end of February, about 15,000 are to be part of that category and 5,932 have arrived so far.

An early element of the resettlement plan called for refugees to be housed temporarily at military bases in Ontario and Quebec until permanent homes could be found, but that is now considered an option of last resort. No bases have taken refugees so far.

A spokesperson for the Immigration Department said the size of the refugee resettlement operations brings challenges and the department is working with communities buckling under the strain. The spokesperson did not immediately say whether other communities had requested a pause.

Privately sponsored refugees will continue to arrive in both Vancouver and Ottawa.

Immigration Minister John McCallum said Monday the resettlement challenge is on the government's mind. One thing he said is under consideration is finding a way to get Syrians into more French-speaking communities.

McCallum says more than 90 per cent of refugees that have arrived don't speak either of the official languages, creating what he calls a blank slate for refugees and provinces to teach them either English or French.

But language-training courses are in high demand across the country. Friesen said. While some cities have no wait lists, others see new immigrants wait for over a year.

-- With files from Jordan Press in Saint Andrews, N.B.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Conservative Party leadership contenders hold debate in Ottawa

    Canada News CBC News
    The 14 contenders for the Conservative Party leadership are aiming to stand out from the crowd during a debate at the Manning Centre Conference Friday. The debate is taking a slightly different format, dividing the field of leadership hopefuls into four groups to allow for longer answers and more exchanges between candidates. Source
  • Agency publishes timetable for Mexico border wall

    World News CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection says it plans to start awarding contracts by mid-April for President Donald Trump's proposed border wall. The agency said Friday on a website for federal contactors that a request for bids would be published on or around March 6. Source
  • Dakota Access pipeline could be operating within weeks

    World News CBC News
    Oil could be flowing through the $3.8 billion US Dakota Access pipeline in less than two weeks, according to court documents filed by the developer just before police and soldiers started clearing a protest camp in North Dakota where pipeline opponents had gathered for the better part of a year. Source
  • Paris mayor fires back at Trump for insulting her city

    World News CTV News
    Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has pushed back at U.S. President Donald Trump for insulting the City of Light in a speech. Trump evoked his friend Jim, "a very, very substantial guy," in an address Friday at the Conservative political Action Conference. Source
  • Accused N.S. doctor gets go-ahead to resume practice -- with chaperone

    Canada News CTV News
    NEW GLASGOW, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia physician charged with voyeurism after medical clinic staff were surreptitiously filmed in the washroom has approval to practice again. Dr. Rafid al-Nassar, a 41-year-old former Iraqi refugee, was arrested last fall after New Glasgow Regional Police received a complaint from staff at the Westside Medical Centre. Source
  • Infant who survived in 1920s sideshow incubator dies at 96

    World News CTV News
    MINEOLA, N.Y. -- Lucille Conlin Horn weighed barely 2 pounds when she was born, a perilous size for any infant, especially in 1920. Doctors told her parents to hold off on a funeral for her twin sister who had died at birth, expecting she too would soon be gone. Source
  • ’No anonymous sources,’ Trump scolds 'fake news' at CPAC [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Six years ago, as the “money, money, money, money” chorus of his reality TV show’s theme song blasted, Donald Trump stepped out before the nation’s largest gathering of conservative activists for the first time. Source
  • Logging charges withdrawn after 8 years: Aboriginal accused get $390K

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Ontario government has been ordered to pay four aboriginal people $390,000 after the prosecution decided at the last minute to withdraw illegal-logging charges the men had faced for eight years. In an unusual decision, Ontario court judge Romuald Kwolek found the prosecution's behaviour justified the costs award to the members of the Batchewana First Nation. Source
  • Man throws fluid on girl

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Winnipeg police say surveillance video is still being reviewed and DNA tests are pending after an unsettling incident at the St. Vital Centre involving a group of teenage girls. Police are only calling it a suspicious person investigation for now, but the service’s sex crimes unit is involved in investigating the incident that took place Sunday afternoon. Source
  • Positive response to populist sentiment key for politicians: Preston Manning

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA - The man who once successfully harnessed populist sentiment in Canada into political success is warning that much is at stake if today’s political leadership fails to do that. Preston Manning, founder of the Reform party, says the greatest challenge facing political leaders is that people are becoming increasingly disenchanted with government, mainstream media and politics. Source