RCMP probe nine-year-old's role in death of another child in Labrador

NAIN, N.L. -- The Mounties are investigating the role of a nine-year-old in the death of a seven-year-old girl in Nain, Labrador.

See Full Article

RCMP Cpl. Rick Mills says officers were called to the girl's home in the coastal Labrador community on Nov. 27 where she was found dead.

The force's news release initially said no foul play was suspected in the death.

Since then, the matter has been sent to the chief medical examiner in St. John's, N.L., and RCMP units from Corner Brook and Grand Falls-Windsor are assisting with the investigation.

The province's child, youth and family services minister has declined comment on media reports indicating that the children were siblings and that a shooting was the cause of death.

Newfoundland and Labrador's Child and Youth Advocate recently released a report raising concerns about provincial child protection services in remote communities in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Carol Chafe's probe into the death of two children and one adult in a 2010 house fire in Nain recommended the province's departments of Health and of Child, Youth and Family Services assess the adequacy of services they provide in remote communities, and come up with a plan to address deficiencies.

Chafe's report said social workers told her the family was just one among many with precarious situations in the community, and that other families were "alleging serious concerns of neglect and substance abuse."

Chafe declined to comment on whether she will investigate the seven-year-old's death, saying the matter currently lies with the police.

"In terms of the smaller communities and coastal communities there are extra challenges and more has to be done," she said during an interview.

"It shouldn't matter where a child or youth lives ... every child deserves the best standard of service that can be provided."

The RCMP's major crime unit was called to several serious incidents in the community just prior to Christmas.

They are currently investigating the suspicious deaths of a 37-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman whose bodies were found in Nain on Christmas Eve, and have also arrested a 40-year-old woman following a domestic disturbance and alleged stabbing on Dec. 23.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Murray Sinclair to retire from Senate

    Canada News CBC News
    Sen. Murray Sinclair is retiring from the Senate to work on mentoring young lawyers in Indigenous law and to write his memoirs. "Since working on the [Truth and Reconciliation Commission], we have seen a shift in how our country understands and speaks of residential schools and Indigenous issues in Canada," Sinclair said in a media statement. Source
  • Waterloo-based gun wholesaler accused of alleged $48-million fraud

    Canada News CTV News
    WATERLOO -- Waterloo firearms seller Trigger Wholesale, Inc. is facing allegations that it is millions of dollars in debt, and that its directors and officers were behind what its creditor calls “a massive fraud.” Trigger is an importer/exporter and wholesale distributer of firearms that it says works with federally licensed dealers, retailers, law enforcement and government and military agencies across Canada. Source
  • Her classroom is a school change room. Here's how she's making online teaching work

    Canada News CBC News
    There are no windows in Robyn O'Drowsky's classroom. Her walls would usually be plastered with posters and kids' art. Instead, she's staring at drab off-white brick, a few lockers and more coat hooks than she has coats. Source
  • Taiwan lawmakers throw pig guts, punches in parliament debate on U.S. pork

    World News CBC News
    Lawmakers in Taiwan got into a fist fight and threw pig guts at each other Friday over a soon-to-be enacted policy that would allow imports of U.S. pork and beef. Premier Su Tseng-chang was due to give a regularly scheduled policy report to lawmakers on Friday morning about the pork policy when opposition party lawmakers from the Nationalist party, also known as the KMT, blocked his attempt to speak by dumping bags of pig organs. Source
  • 2 detained for speaking Spanish settle border patrol lawsuit

    World News CTV News
    HELENA, MONT. -- Two women who were detained in northern Montana by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents for speaking Spanish while shopping at a convenience store have reached an undisclosed monetary settlement in their lawsuit against the agency, the ACLU of Montana announced Tuesday. Source
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns against consuming meat bottled by P.E.I. man

    Canada News CTV News
    CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. -- The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued a warning against consuming beef and chicken that was bottled by a Prince Edward Island man and sold through classified ads in provincial newspapers. The agency says the meat products made by Robert Waite of Tignish, P.E.I. Source
  • 2 women detained in U.S. for speaking Spanish settle border patrol lawsuit

    World News CTV News
    HELENA, MONT. -- Two women who were detained in northern Montana by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents for speaking Spanish while shopping at a convenience store have reached an undisclosed monetary settlement in their lawsuit against the agency, the ACLU of Montana announced Tuesday. Source
  • Women in B.C. have fared worse than men during the pandemic, study finds

    Canada News CBC News
    At the onset of the pandemic in March, 60 per cent more jobs were lost by women than men in the province, according to a new report by the B.C. Women's Health Foundation. The study found that women have been negatively affected by COVID-19 to a disproportionate degree, as they are more likely to work public-facing positions and were forced to take on increased responsibilities as the pandemic deepened. Source
  • Rogers says plans for Blue Jays' stadium on hold amid pandemic despite report of possible demolition

    Canada News CBC News
    Rogers Communications Inc. says it was exploring the future of its Toronto stadium prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the virus has caused it to put those plans on hold. The telecommunications company and owner of the Blue Jays baseball team says its primary focus this year is keeping staff safe and maintaining operations, and it has no update on the status of the Rogers Centre stadium. Source
  • Toronto BBQ restaurant owner who opened despite COVID-19 lockdown granted bail

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The owner of a Toronto barbecue restaurant that openly defied public health restrictions has been granted bail. Adam Skelly, 33, declared on social media Monday night that he would open his BBQ restaurant in Etobocike to in-person dining despite provincial lockdown orders for Toronto and Peel Region. Source