Canadian detained in UAE pleads not guilty to terror-related charges

A Canadian man detained for more than a year in the United Arab Emirates has pleaded not guilty to three terror-related charges on the first day of his long-awaited trial.

See Full Article

Salim Alaradi's lawyer says his client learned Monday he was charged with funding terrorist organizations, supporting terrorist organizations, and co-operating with terrorist organizations.

Paul Champ says two specific groups -- the February 17 Brigades and the Libyan Dawn -- were named.

Alaradi's family and lawyers had previously received no explanation from U.A.E. authorities for his continued detention and there have been allegations he has been tortured behind bars.

Champ says neither he nor Alaradi's nephew were allowed to attend Monday's hearing at the State Security Chamber of the U.A.E. Federal Supreme Court.

But the Champ says Canada's ambassador was able to observe, as were two U.S. diplomats, since Alaradi is being tried with two Americans.

The case has been adjourned to Feb. 15, Champ said in an email.

"Despite our serious concerns with the fairness of this trial, and obviously the allegations of torture, we remain optimistic that Mr. Alaradi will be acquitted of all charges and allowed to leave the country," he told The Canadian Press.

Few details about the case were provided but "the family finds the allegations very hard to understand as Mr. Alaradi has not lived in Libya in over 25 years and is not politically involved in his former country," he said.

"As well, these groups no longer exist and in any event were internationally recognized as allies against Gadhafi and were never viewed as terrorist organizations by the (United Nations) or any country."

Alaradi's family is grateful that the Canadian ambassador personally attended the hearing, Champ said.

"I think it sent a very strong message to UAE authorities that Canada takes torture very seriously," he said.

Alaradi, a 46-year-old Canadian of Libyan origin, was running a business in Dubai when he was abruptly arrested in August 2014.

He was born in Libya and immigrated to Canada from the U.A.E. in 1998, settling down in Vancouver with his family. He decided to return to the U.A.E. in 2007 to run a home appliance business with his brother.

He and his family were on vacation when he was arrested.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Oil prices at highest levels in 4 years

    World News CBC News
    Oil prices were at their highest levels since 2014 in trading Monday, after the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries decided not to raise output. In a meeting Sunday in Algiers, OPEC rejected U.S. President Donald Trump's call to open the taps, with both Saudi Arabia and Russia saying they won't produce significantly more oil. Source
  • Michael Kors reportedly ready to buy Versace for $2B

    World News CBC News
    U.S. fashion group Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. has agreed to take control of Italy's Versace in a deal that could value the company at $2 billion US, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday. The deal comes as budding luxury conglomerates, including Michael Kors' U.S. Source
  • Ford plans to form special committee to probe province's fiscal situation

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Premier Doug Ford says his government plans to strike a special committee to further investigate Ontario's fiscal situation in light of a newly reviewed multibillion-dollar deficit. Ford says the select committee will have the power to call witnesses, compel documents and gather evidence. Source
  • Mounties hunt on-the-run assault suspect who escaped custody

    Canada News CTV News
    The RCMP in Saskatchewan is looking for a man who escaped from custody following his arrest in an assault case. Police at Kamsack took the 26-year-old accused into custody Saturday afternoon on Cote First Nation. Source
  • AP source says U.S. Deputy AG expecting to be fired

    World News CTV News
    In this July 13, 2018, file photo, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein speaks during a news conference at the Department of Justice in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File) Source
  • Sex assault charge stayed against one British sailor, trial proceeding for other

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX - The Crown has stayed a sexual assault charge against a British sailor in Halifax but the trial of his co-accused is set to continue today. Simon Radford and Darren Smalley were charged with sexual assault causing bodily harm and participating in a group sexual assault in barracks at 12 Wing Shearwater on April 10, 2015. Source
  • Federal public servants advised to stay home amid Ottawa tornado cleanup

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA – Federal government workers in the Ottawa area have been asked to stay home on Monday as cleanup across the Ottawa area continues following Friday’s tornadoes. Public servants in the National Capital Region received the notice not to come in, or work from home if possible, on Sunday night. Source
  • Wettlaufer inquiry to hear testimony from families of nursing home victims

    Canada News CBC News
    Emotions will be running high as relatives and friends of nursing home residents killed by disgraced nurse Elizabeth Wettlaufer testify today at Ontario's public inquiry into long-term care when it resumes in St. Thomas. Closing submissions will be heard this week, capping off the four-month public portion of the inquiry into the safety and security of residents in long-term care. Source
  • Will Bill Cosby, 81, go to prison? A judge is set to decide

    World News CBC News
    Bill Cosby arrived at a suburban Philadelphia courthouse Monday for the start of a sentencing hearing that will determine how the 81-year-old comedian will be punished for drugging and sexually assaulting a Canadian woman more than 14 years ago. Source
  • South Carolina county braced for 'record event' when Hurricane Florence waters crest

    World News CBC News
    Hurricane Florence is by no means done with the Carolinas, where some rivers are still rising and thousands of people were told to plan to leave their homes on Monday before rivers reach their crest. About 6,000 to 8,000 people in Georgetown County, S.C. Source