Judge delivers final instructions to jurors who will decide Forcillo's fate

TORONTO -- Jurors deciding the fate of a Toronto police officer charged in the fatal shooting of a teen on an empty streetcar were asked Monday to assess the evidence in the case with an open mind.

See Full Article

In his instruction to the jury, Justice Edward Then said the Crown must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Const. James Forcillo is guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Sammy Yatim.

"If you believe that officer Forcillo is probably guilty but no more, then in those circumstances you must find him not guilty," the judge said.

Forcillo has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and attempted murder.

The jury has heard that on a night in July 2013, Yatim had taken the drug ecstasy before boarding a streetcar where he pulled out a small knife, prompting panicked passengers to rush off the vehicle.

Videos and audio played at the trial have shown that Forcillo arrived on the scene, yelled repeatedly at Yatim to drop the knife, and after a 50-second confrontation fired nine bullets at the teen.

Crown prosecutors argue Forcillo's actions weren't necessary or reasonable but his lawyer contends the officer's actions were justified and carried out in self-defence.

The judge highlighted the fact that Forcillo had testified in his own defence, reminding the jury that the officer got "no special marks" for doing so.

"You assess his credibility in the same manner as you do with any other witnesses. What he says may be evidence for or against him," Then said.

He noted, however, that Forcillo's testimony had to be carefully considered.

"If you believe the evidence of the accused then you must acquit him," Then said.

"If you do not believe the evidence of the accused but are left in a state of reasonable doubt on the evidence of the accused, then you must also acquit him."

The jury also didn't need to find a motive or reasons for Forcillo's actions on the night Yatim died, Then said.

"It is for you to decide whether officer Forcillo had a motive or any motive at all, and how much or how little you will rely on it."

Forcillo has told the jury that he believed Yatim was going to rush off the streetcar and launch an attack when he said he saw the teen flick his knife towards him.

The jury has heard that when Yatim took a few steps back to the spot at the top of the streetcar steps, Forcillo -- who had warned the teen not to take another step forward -- fires nine bullets at Yatim in two separate volleys.

The teen collapses immediately. The entire standoff lasted about 50 seconds.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump allows scheduled release of JFK records

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says he doesn’t plan to block the scheduled release of thousands of never publicly seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy’s assassination. Trump says in a tweet that “Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened. Source
  • Spanish PM seeks Senate backing to take over Catalonia government

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — The Spanish government moved decisively Saturday to use a previously untapped constitutional power so it can take control of Catalonia and derail the independence movement led by separatist politicians in the prosperous industrial region. Source
  • Somalia's death toll at 358 as “state of war' planned

    World News Toronto Sun
    MOGADISHU, Somalia — The death toll in Somalia’s deadliest attack has risen to 358 while dozens remain missing. Somalia’s president was expected to announce a “state of war” against the al-Shabab extremist group blamed for the bombing, the prime minister said. Source
  • Malta offers $1.18 million to discover who killed reporter

    World News CTV News
    VALLETTA, Malta -- Malta's government is offering a $1.18 million reward and full protection for anyone with information on who killed an investigative reporter with a car bomb. The government statement Saturday called the Oct. Source
  • Paralympian awarded $9M after U of Regina found negligent in swimming accident

    Canada News CBC News
    The University of Regina has been deemed negligent by a jury in a June 2005 diving accident that left Miranda Biletski a quadriplegic. Biletski and the Piranhas Swim Club were deemed not at fault in the same accident. Source
  • Trump calls congresswoman 'wacky' in dispute over remarks to soldier's widow

    World News CBC News
    Mourners were expected to pack a church Saturday to honour a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between U.S. President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman. Family, friends and neighbours of Sgt. Source
  • Bannon faults George W. Bush for ‘destructive’ presidency

    World News CTV News
    Former White House adviser Steve Bannon depicted former U.S. President George W. Bush as bumbling and inept, faulting him for presiding over a “destructive” presidency during his time in the White House. Bannon’s scathing remarks on Friday night amounted to a retort to a Bush speech in New York earlier this week, in which the 43rd president denounced bigotry in Trump-era American politics and warned that the rise of “nativism,” isolationism and conspiracy theories have clouded the nation’s true…
  • U.S. appeals court blocks immigrant teen's access to abortion

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — An appeals court is blocking, for now, an abortion sought by a pregnant 17-year-old immigrant being held in a Texas facility, ruling that the government should have time to try to release her so she can obtain the abortion outside of federal custody. Source
  • Knife wielding man arrested after 8 attacked in Munich

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERLIN — A man with a knife attacked eight people in Munich on Saturday and then fled, police said. The suspected assailant, a local German already known to police for theft and other offences, was arrested a few hours later. Source
  • Trump jabs back at 'wacky' congresswoman as spat rolls on

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Unwilling to put the tussling behind, U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday jabbed back at the Democratic lawmaker who has slammed him for his words of condolence to a military widow, calling Rep. Source