'Nothing can explain': Couillard honours Quebecers killed in Jakarta, Burkina Faso

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard honoured seven Quebecers who died in international attacks this week, remembering them as generous humanitarians who loved their families.

See Full Article

In a speech in Quebec City on Monday, Couillard honoured Tahar Amer-Ouali, who was killed in a bombing in Jakarta on Thursday, and remembered the six other Quebecers who died in an attack in Burkina Faso on Friday night.

Couillard described Amer-Ouali, the Jakarta victim, as a dedicated hearing specialist and a family man.

"Amer-Ouali was the father of five and a grandfather," the premier said in French. "He liked to travel and help those in need."

According to his son, Amer-Ouali travelled the world to help people with hearing disabilities, splitting his time between Laval and Indonesia.

Amer-Ouali was in central Jakarta when suicide bombers and gunmen stormed a Starbucks and traffic police post in an attack that left at least seven dead.

Six more Quebec residents were killed this week when militants attacked a hotel in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, on Friday. At least 28 people from 18 different countries died in that attack.

Yves Carrier, a retired teacher, his wife Gladys Chamberland, their son Charlelie and his half-sister Maude were in Burkina Faso for a month-long humanitarian mission, along with teacher Louis Chabot and Suzanne Bernier.

In his speech on Monday, Couillard praised the six victims for their "commitment to the less fortunate, their compassion (and) their generosity."

The group in Burkina Faso was in the country to repair a dormitory and set up a school sports field, and were helping build a congregation, Couillard said.

"It was a beautiful project."

The premier called the deaths inexplicable and unjustifiable, and vowed that Quebec would never "bow before those terrorists," or compromise its values.

"Nothing can explain how (the attackers could have killed) people who have such devotion to a better world," Couillard said. "This attack against them is also an attack against all of us."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Four officers who responded to U.S. Capitol attack have died by suicide

    World News CTV News
    The District of Columbia's police department on Monday said two more police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol have died by suicide, bringing to four the number of known suicides by officers who guarded the building that day. Source
  • U.S. hits 70 per cent vaccination rate -- a month late, amid a surge

    World News CTV News
    The U.S. on Monday finally reached President Joe Biden's goal of getting at least one COVID-19 shot into 70 per cent of American adults -- a month late and amid a fierce surge by the delta variant that is swamping hospitals and leading to new mask rules and mandatory vaccinations around the country. Source
  • China flooding deaths triple to more than 300 after officials revise toll

    World News CBC News
    More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll. The Henan provincial government said 302 people died and 50 remain missing. The vast majority of the victims were in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital, where 292 died and 47 are missing. Source
  • Woman fatally mauled by bear in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Mounties say a female tree planter has been mauled to death by a bear in northern Alberta. RCMP told CTV News they received a call just after 3 p.m. on July 31 regarding an attack in a rural area northwest of Swan Hills. Source
  • Family of Black man fatally shot by police in Repentigny, Que., blame racism for his death

    Canada News CBC News
    The family of a Repentigny, Que., man who died after police shot him three times in the stomach on Sunday are blaming anti-Black racism in the city's police force for his death and are demanding justice. Marie-Mireille Bence, the mother of the victim, called police Sunday morning asking them to bring her son, Jean René Junior Olivier, 37, to the hospital because he was having a mental health issue. Source
  • Calgary woman felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Calgary woman says she felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry and apology

    Canada News CBC News
    WARNING: This story contains distressing details. Former Canadian senator Murray Sinclair and a group representing survivors of the Sixties Scoop are calling for a federal inquiry into the actions and policies of governments that led to thousands of Indigenous children being taken from their homes over four decades and placed with non-Indigenous families. Source
  • FBI used 'provocative photos' of female office staff to catch sexual predators, watchdog says

    World News CTV News
    FBI agents posted provocative photos of female coworkers online without formal authorization as part of sting operations against sex trafficking, according to a new watchdog report. The Justice Department's inspector general said in a report released Monday that some FBI agents "sometimes used photographs of young female support staff employees to pose as minor children or sex workers to entice sexual predators on various social media websites. Source
  • German court sets trial date for former Nazi guard, aged 100

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A German court has set a trial date for a 100-year-old man who is charged with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin during World War II. Source