Tim Bosma murder trial to start Monday with jury selection

HAMILTON -- About an hour after the sun had set on a day in early May 2013, Tim Bosma took two men for a test drive in his truck -- never to return.

See Full Article

The trial of two men accused in his death is set to begin Monday with jury selection, which is expected to last up to two weeks.

Lawyers for Dellen Millard and Mark Smich have said both men will plead not guilty to charges of first-degree murder.

The case of the missing 32-year-old Hamilton man -- who had a wife and a two-year-old daughter -- and later the discovery of his remains, "burned beyond recognition," rocked his tight-knit Dutch community in rural Hamilton and made headlines across the country.

According to police, on May 6, 2013, a man called Bosma to arrange a test drive of his black, 2007 Dodge Ram pickup that he had advertised for sale online. Around 9:20 p.m., two men showed up at his house.

"I'll be right back," a smiling Bosma told his wife, Sharlene Bosma would recall at a news conference a few days later.

Within an hour, she called her husband on his cellphone and when he didn't answer she called police.

"I ask and I beg and I plead to whomever has my husband to please let him go," she said through tears.

"It was just a truck, it was just a truck."

Police initially treated it as a missing person's case, but due to the "unusual nature" of his disappearance, homicide investigators took over.

The police response was massive. More than 150 officers took part in the search that also included K9 units, police horses, planes and helicopters.

The investigation quickly spread across neighbouring jurisdictions and involved forces from Toronto, Brantford, York Region, Waterloo and Ontario Provincial Police.

At the Bosma home, his friends and family set up their own command centre. Friends gathered in the family's garage around a large map of the area, deciding search paths and making plans to plaster the area with "Find Tim" posters.

Peter Lowe, who'd been an acquaintance of Bosma's when they were teenagers, found himself in the family's inner circle after showing up at the door a few days after Bosma went missing.

Knowing his way around social media, Lowe was quickly given the task of boosting interest in the search online. The family's newly created Facebook page exploded with interest and the hashtag .FindTimBosma made the rounds way beyond the Hamilton borders.

Police have said they believe Bosma was killed shortly after he went missing.

Dellen Millard, of Toronto, was arrested on May 10 and was charged with forcible confinement and theft of a vehicle.

The search for Bosma continued, with investigators searching two properties owned by Millard, who is the heir to a local aviation business started by his grandfather nearly 50 years ago.

On May 13, police found Bosma's truck. The next morning, police showed up at the Bosma house to deliver the news the family never wanted to hear: Tim Bosma's body had been found "burned beyond recognition."

On May 15, Millard was charged with first-degree murder in Bosma's death.

More than a week later, 1,000 people gathered at a hall in Hamilton to say goodbye to Bosma -- the same hall Tim and Sharlene got married in three years earlier.

On May 22, police announced the arrest of Mark Smich, from Oakville, Ont., who was also charged with first-degree murder in Bosma's death.

Lowe, Tim's childhood friend, has since become a spokesman for the Bosmas.

"The family is grateful for the love and support shown by their community," Lowe told The Canadian Press.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canada's 2015 federal election may have been influenced by outsiders, according to a new report

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained in part by the Herald. The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections…
  • Saffie Roussos, 8, among 22 killed by suicide bomber at Ariana Grande show in Manchester [Photos] [Vide

    World News Toronto Sun
    British authorities say an 8-year-old girl, Saffie Roussos, was among the 22 who died in the Manchester bombing. Medical officials say 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England. Source
  • Toronto's Air Canada Centre adding more security staff after Manchester bombing

    Canada News CTV News
    Ariana Grande says she is 'broken' after Manchester bombing 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say Source
  • Three Nova Scotia men facing charges in $3M international lobster fraud and theft case

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    BARRINGTON, N.S. - More than $3 million worth of lobster is at the centre of a complex, international case involving fraud and theft allegations against three Nova Scotia men, RCMP said Tuesday. The Mounties’ investigation started in July 2015 when allegations arose that a man from Shag Harbour, N.S. Source
  • Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say

    World News CTV News
    The suicide bombing at an arena in Manchester was meant to strike at soft targets, including underage girls, in order to "shock the world," terror experts say. Twenty-two people were killed, including an eight-year-old girl, and another 59 were injured following the suicide bombing at Manchester Arena Tuesday night, at the conclusion of an Ariana Grande performance. Source
  • Suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos] [V

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Condemned church shooter Roof seeks appellate court mercy

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBIA, S.C. - A white supremacist sentenced to death for killing nine worshippers in a racist attack at a Charleston church has petitioned an appeals court for mercy. Attorneys for Dylann Roof filed notice Tuesday they were appealing his conviction and sentence to the 4th U.S. Source
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned over Trump campaign Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned by Trump campaign's Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…