Murder trial in death of Tim Bosma starts Monday with jury selection

HAMILTON -- About an hour after the sun had set on a day in early May 2013, Tim Bosma took two men for a test drive in his truck -- never to return.

See Full Article

The trial of two men accused in his death is set to begin Monday with jury selection, which is expected to last up to two weeks.

Lawyers for Dellen Millard and Mark Smich have said both men will plead not guilty to charges of first-degree murder.

The case of the missing 32-year-old Hamilton man -- who had a wife and a two-year-old daughter -- and later the discovery of his remains, "burned beyond recognition," rocked his tight-knit Dutch community in rural Hamilton and made headlines across the country.

According to police, on May 6, 2013, a man called Bosma to arrange a test drive of his black, 2007 Dodge Ram pickup that he had advertised for sale online. Around 9:20 p.m., two men showed up at his house.

"I'll be right back," a smiling Bosma told his wife, Sharlene Bosma would recall at a news conference a few days later.

Within an hour, she called her husband on his cellphone and when he didn't answer she called police.

"I ask and I beg and I plead to whomever has my husband to please let him go," she said through tears.

"It was just a truck, it was just a truck."

Police initially treated it as a missing person's case, but due to the "unusual nature" of his disappearance, homicide investigators took over.

The police response was massive. More than 150 officers took part in the search that also included K9 units, police horses, planes and helicopters.

The investigation quickly spread across neighbouring jurisdictions and involved forces from Toronto, Brantford, York Region, Waterloo and Ontario Provincial Police.

At the Bosma home, his friends and family set up their own command centre. Friends gathered in the family's garage around a large map of the area, deciding search paths and making plans to plaster the area with "Find Tim" posters.

Peter Lowe, who'd been an acquaintance of Bosma's when they were teenagers, found himself in the family's inner circle after showing up at the door a few days after Bosma went missing.

Knowing his way around social media, Lowe was quickly given the task of boosting interest in the search online. The family's newly created Facebook page exploded with interest and the hashtag .FindTimBosma made the rounds way beyond the Hamilton borders.

Police have said they believe Bosma was killed shortly after he went missing.

Dellen Millard, of Toronto, was arrested on May 10 and was charged with forcible confinement and theft of a vehicle.

The search for Bosma continued, with investigators searching two properties owned by Millard, who is the heir to a local aviation business started by his grandfather nearly 50 years ago.

On May 13, police found Bosma's truck. The next morning, police showed up at the Bosma house to deliver the news the family never wanted to hear: Tim Bosma's body had been found "burned beyond recognition."

On May 15, Millard was charged with first-degree murder in Bosma's death.

More than a week later, 1,000 people gathered at a hall in Hamilton to say goodbye to Bosma -- the same hall Tim and Sharlene got married in three years earlier.

On May 22, police announced the arrest of Mark Smich, from Oakville, Ont., who was also charged with first-degree murder in Bosma's death.

Lowe, Tim's childhood friend, has since become a spokesman for the Bosmas.

"The family is grateful for the love and support shown by their community," Lowe told The Canadian Press.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Firm says trees obstructing vision at Humboldt Broncos crash intersection

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- A consulting firm says sight lines are a safety concern at the rural intersection where the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash happened. A 70-page safety review done for the Saskatchewan government says a stand of trees, mostly on private property, obstructs the view of drivers approaching from the south and east -- the same directions the bus and semi-trailer were coming from when they collided. Source
  • The staggering scale of France's battle against terror, by the numbers

    World News CBC News
    Welcome to The National Today newsletter, which takes a closer look at what's happening around some of the day's most notable stories. Sign up here and it will be delivered directly to your inbox Monday to Friday. Source
  • Rumble strips, lights among changes coming to Humboldt Broncos bus crash intersection

    Canada News CBC News
    The Saskatchewan government is promising to install rumble strips, lights, signs and road markers at the site where the Humboldt Broncos bus collided with a transport truck. The changes planned for the intersection of Highways 35 and 355 also include removal of trees, limiting nearby access roads, and the relocation of the roadside Broncos memorial. Source
  • LIVE UPDATES: Accused in murders of Calgary woman and her daughter testifies in own defence

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A man accused of killing a Calgary woman and her daughter took the stand in his own defence at his first-degree murder trial on Wednesday. Edward Downey, who is 48, has pleaded not guilty in the deaths of Sara Baillie and her five-year-old daughter Taliyah Marsman. Source
  • Trudeau names four new senators — including a failed Liberal candidate

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's push to reconstitute the Senate and stack its benches with Independent senators continued apace today as he named four more people to the Senate — filling all the remaining vacancies in the Red Chamber. Source
  • B.C. court upholds extradition of pair accused of 'honour killing' in India

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - A court has upheld the extradition of two British Columbia residents accused of hiring assailants to murder their relative in India because she married a poor rickshaw driver. The B.C. Court of Appeal has denied Malkit Kaur Sidhu and Surjit Singh Badesha's request for a stay of proceedings and a judicial review. Source
  • Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen gets 3 years in prison

    World News CBC News
    Michael Cohen, U.S. President Donald Trump's former lawyer, has been sentenced to three years in prison for crimes including campaign finance violations and lying to Congress. Cohen apologized for his actions and told U.S. District Judge William Pauley III that "blind loyalty" to Trump led him to "cover up his dirty deeds. Source
  • Sexual assault victims of ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest sue Alpine Canada

    Canada News CBC News
    Three sexual assault victims of former ski coach Bertrand Charest are suing Alpine Canada, alleging the sports federation turned a blind eye to signs of wrongdoing. The three women are former Canadian skiers Genevieve Simard, Gail Kelly and Anna Prchal, who were all minors at the time of the offences for which Charest was convicted. Source
  • NDP wants RCMP to probe allegation Ford's office asked OPP for 'camper-type vehicle'

    Canada News CBC News
    NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is calling on the RCMP to investigate an allegation that Ontario Premier Doug Ford's office asked the provincial police force to buy him a specialized "camper-type vehicle." The alleged request is detailed in a Dec. Source
  • Former NDP MP Svend Robinson 'very seriously considering' federal run in 2019

    Canada News CBC News
    Former NDP MP Svend Robinson says he is "very seriously considering" a return to federal politics, noting that his former party is facing challenging times. Robinson, 66, represented the Vancouver-area riding of Burnaby for 25 years. He left politics in 2004 after he admitted stealing a diamond ring from an auction, saying he was under too much strain at the time. Source