Men deemed 'suspicious' for mall photos are visually impaired: Vancouver doctor

VANCOUVER -- Two men and a teenager labelled "suspicious" because they were taking photos of a Vancouver mall feared being attacked on the street after local media published their images, says their doctor.

See Full Article

Dr. Weidong Yu of the Wellspring Clinic for Holistic Medicine says the trio are visiting from Manchester, England, so that two of them can be treated at his clinic for a visual disability.

The teenager and young adult suffer from a disorder that restricts their field of vision, making their sight blurry, and they take lots of photos in order to zoom in later and see everything more clearly, he said.

"You look at a shop, you look at a mountain, you see it. They don't. So they take photos and then they enlarge the photo, and then they can see it."

Vancity Buzz, a news and culture website, posted an article Thursday night saying that police were looking to speak with the men after they were spotted taking photos of entrances and exits at Pacific Centre mall.

The article included surveillance photos of the trio and described them as "Middle Eastern," as did the internal police memo that was obtained by the publication.

The trio were immediately alarmed and feared going outside, Yu said.

"They were concerned that if they walk out on the street, some other pedestrians will ... knock them down and hurt them because they are viewed as terrorists," he said.

But he said they trusted Vancouver police and called them Friday morning from his clinic, where officers attended and conducted interviews in a "trained and professional" manner.

Vancouver Police Chief Adam Palmer said the internal memo, which labelled the men "suspicious" and included the surveillance photos, was never intended to be public.

Palmer said the description of the men as "Middle Eastern" was not racial profiling, and that details on race are always included in these kind of memos between police forces.

Police issued a statement on Friday afternoon that said officers had located and spoken with the men and were confident their actions were "completely innocent."

Vancity Buzz editor in chief Farhan Mohamed said shortly before police cleared the men that the outlet published the story because it was in the public interest.

He later said in a statement that he welcomed the news that the men had been located and their actions deemed innocent.

Despite the incident, Yu said the trio's opinion of Canada had not changed and they would come back again for treatment.

"They were treated very well by the police," he said. "I'm glad media have declared them innocent."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Here's how Moose Jaw will welcome the Snowbirds home

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- The Snowbirds team is scheduled to return to their home base at 15 Wing Moose Jaw on Monday afternoon, and the city is rallying together to create visual displays of support following the death of Cpt. Source
  • Environmental advocates concerned by Alberta's new rules for coal mining

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Upcoming changes to Alberta's coal regulations are expected to create hundreds of jobs in the province, but environmental advocates worry that the work will come at the expense of the ecosystem alongside the Rocky Mountains. Source
  • New Zealand leader carries on with TV interview during quake

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND -- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern barely skipped a beat when an earthquake struck during a live television interview Monday morning. She interrupted Newshub host Ryan Bridge to tell him what was happening at the parliament complex in the capital, Wellington. Source
  • White House limits travel to U.S. from Brazil as COVID-19 crisis deepens

    World News CBC News
    The White House on Sunday said it was prohibiting most non-U.S. citizens from travelling to the United States if they had been in Brazil in the last two weeks, two days after the South American nation became the world No. Source
  • COVID-19 cases in Alberta remain low, 42 more cases reported Sunday

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Alberta reported 42 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, and no new deaths. The total number of active cases in the province is now 801. The case break down across the province is as follows: Calgary zone: 629 active cases and 4,020 recovered South zone: 92 active cases and 1,132 recovered Edmonton zone: 55 active cases and 455 recovered North zone: 20 active cases and 200 recovered Central zone: three active cases and 95 recovered Two active cases and 22 recovered cases in zones to be…
  • Union launches nationwide appeal for long-term care reform in wake of COVID-19

    Canada News CBC News
    The union backing Canada's public employees is launching a nationwide effort to transform long-term care into a publicly funded, universal health care system in the midst of a pandemic it says has exacerbated problems in facilities across the country and led to the deaths of thousands of residents. Source
  • Robert Durst murder trial to move to new California court

    World News CTV News
    TORRANCE, CALIF. -- The California murder trial of real estate heir Robert Durst is likely to move to a new venue this summer, depending on how a judge rules on a defence motion for a mistrial. Source
  • U.S. Muslims try to balance Eid rituals with virus concerns

    World News CTV News
    WINTER PARK, FLA. -- With no congregational prayers or family gatherings, Salsabiel Mujovic has been worried that this year's Eid al-Fitr celebration will pale. Still, she's determined to bring home holiday cheer amid the coronavirus gloom. Source
  • 'It felt like it was a disservice to us': Infectious disease specialist reacts to crowded park

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An infectious disease specialist says scenes of people overcrowding a Toronto park on Saturday was an “expression of disrespect” to health-care workers and could spark a surge in new COVID-19 cases. Speaking to CTV News Channel on Sunday, Dr. Source
  • Crowds cram beaches across U.S., raising physical distancing concerns

    World News CBC News
    The Memorial Day weekend marking the unofficial start of summer in the U.S. meant big crowds at beaches and warnings from authorities Sunday about people disregarding the coronavirus physical-distancing rules and risking a resurgence of the scourge that has killed nearly 100,000 Americans. Source