Concern grows over live lobster thefts in N.S.

SAULNIERVILLE, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia lobster fisherman says he is troubled by the recent thefts of roughly 2,700 kilograms of live lobster in the province.

See Full Article

Hubert Saulnier, a former president of the Maritime Fishermen's Union Local 9, says the valuable crustaceans were someone's livelihood and a lot of work and money went into catching them.

The RCMP say 48 crates of live lobster, more than 2,100 kilograms, were stolen from an outdoor pound at a business on Cape Sable Island early Wednesday.

The theft followed a similar incident last month, when 14 crates of lobster were stolen from a secure compound on Morris Island near Yarmouth.

Saulnier says at roughly six dollars per pound, the latest theft would have amounted to roughly $27,000 in lobster.

He says he's concerned about the incidents and believes the thieves had an elaborate plan, as live lobsters have a limited shelf life.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • South Korean parliament sets up presidential impeachment vote

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - South Korea's opposition-controlled parliament has formally introduced an impeachment motion on President Park Geun-hye. This sets the stage for a likely impeachment vote Friday. A parliamentary official reported the motion to a plenary session Thursday. Source
  • Campus cop shot teen holding knife at Nevada high school

    World News CTV News
    RENO, Nev. -- A campus police officer shot a knife-wielding student at a Nevada high school on Wednesday during a confrontation witnessed by dozens of other students, Reno police said. The 14-year-old boy was reported in critical condition Wednesday night at a Reno hospital, Police Chief Jason Soto said. Source
  • Italian PM Renzi quits as search begins for new leader

    World News CTV News
    ROME -- Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi resigned Wednesday evening, his self-inflicted penalty for staking his job on constitutional changes voters resoundingly rejected earlier in the week. He will stay in a caretaker's role at the request of Italy's president until a new government can be formed. Source
  • Winnipeg man pleads guilty to bigamy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A former Winnipeg man married to two women for more than a year has learned what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas. The 43-year-old man pleaded guilty in Winnipeg court Wednesday to one count of bigamy. Source
  • Rescuers search through Indonesia quake rubble for second day

    World News CTV News
    MEUREUDU, Indonesia - Rescue workers, soldiers and police combed through the rubble of a devastated town in Indonesia's Aceh province Thursday, resuming a search for earthquake survivors that was halted at night by rain and blackouts. Source
  • Mississippi teacher barred for 12 years after dragging student by hair

    World News Toronto Sun
    JACKSON, Miss. — Fired, criminally charged and with her state teaching license on the line, Linda Winters-Johnson admitted Wednesday that she’d been wrong to drag a special education student by the hair across the gym floor at Greenville High School. Source
  • New York restaurant threatened by Pizzagate hoax callers

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A popular New York restaurant has become the latest victim of a fake-news conspiracy about Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring out of a Washington, D.C., pizza joint. Roberta's, a Brooklyn restaurant known for its wood-fired pizza, received telephone calls threatening its employees, police confirmed on Wednesday. Source
  • Mom on the run

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    She’s Canada’s most wanted fugitive. But she’s also mom — one whose family insists she’s not a criminal but just trying to protect her nine-year-old daughter. Child abductor or protector? However it’s sorted out, the manhunt is on for Allana Haist. Source
  • New trial order for mom accused of having sex with kids' underage friend

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial for a woman accused of having sex with the underage friend of her teenage children. The order was made after the Crown appealed a Court of Queen's Bench ruling that acquitted Barbara George, who was 35 at the time, of sexual assault and sexual interference. Source
  • Ohio House committee approves 20-week abortion ban

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Abortions would be banned after 20 weeks under a bill that Republican lawmakers hope to pass Thursday and add to legislation already on its way to GOP Gov. John Kasich that would prohibit abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected. Source