'Suspicious incident' photos were leaked: VPD

Vancouver police say photos of three men who were seen taking "suspicious" photographs at a downtown mall were leaked to the media, and investigators had not planned on going public with the information.

See Full Article

In a press conference on Friday, Chief Const. Adam Palmer said police "have no idea" who leaked the information to a Vancouver news outlet.

He said the information and photographs were part of an internal bulletin shared among police officers throughout the province.

"Police balance public safety, people's privacy and keep an open mind in any investigation," he said. "For this reason the VPD has not, and will not, be releasing any photographs regarding this incident at this time."

Police are still looking to speak to anyone who may have information about the "suspicious incident."

Police had earlier said in a news release that "Middle Eastern-looking men" were seen taking pictures and videos of the various entrances and exits inside Pacific Centre Mall, with a specific focus on one entrance on Tuesday, around 6:30 p.m.

"There is no information to believe that these men have committed a crime," police said in a news release on Thursday. "Nor do we have information to believe that the public is currently at risk."

On Friday, Palmer said the bulletin was not a result of racial profiling.

"All of the information we've ever released to the media or other police agencies over all the years… we always say if they're white, if they're South Asian, if they're Middle Eastern, and these folks looked Middle Eastern."

Palmer also urged the public not to "jump to conclusions."

"It's a pretty serious thing if we're going to be releasing photographs to the general public when someone's job can be affected, when their neighbours may think that they're up to something… When it fact there may be a pretty reasonable explanation for what these people were up to."

Palmer said, although not crime may have been committed, police do want to speak to the men.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Vancouver Police Department at 604-717-3235.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Man charged in toddler's 2014 death linked to snake venom

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - A 51-year-old man has been arrested in the 2014 death of a two-year-old girl and North Vancouver Mounties say it's believe she was poisoned by snake venom. Police say Henry Thomas had the girl in his care on May 18, 2014, and returned her to her mother that day in North Vancouver. Source
  • 7 shot to death at home in Mexican resort city of Cancun

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - Authorities say three gunmen have shot to death seven people at a house in the Mexican resort city of Cancun, in an apparent dispute between street-level drug dealers. Cancun is located in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo. Source
  • B.C. man who left moose to suffer before death is convicted, fined in court

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- A man who illegally shot a moose in British Columbia's southern Interior has been fined $10,000 after leaving the animal to suffer before it died. The B.C. Conservation Officer Service says it began an investigation in November 2017 after the man from Surrey, B.C. Source
  • Premier says no changes to Quebec gun registry despite call for better screening

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC - The head of the Quebec City mosque where six men were killed in a shooting almost two years ago wants the province to tighten up controls over who has access to firearms. In a letter to Premier Francois Legault, Boufeldja Benabdallah identifies a weakness when it comes to verifying people who have mental health problems. Source
  • Man who killed Const. Sarah Beckett gets partial parole for rehab treatment

    Canada News CTV News
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - A drunk driver who killed RCMP Const. Sarah Beckett in a crash has been granted limited day parole to attend alcohol abuse treatment. Kenneth Fenton was handed a five-year, six-month prison sentence in July 2017 and his first parole hearing was held today at a medium-security prison in Abbotsford, B.C. Source
  • Expect more extreme hurricanes on the East Coast due to faster ice melts in Greenland, study says

    World News CBC News
    Ice is melting in an unexpected region of Greenland at a rate that is unprecedented in the past century, according to a study published Monday, which could lead to rising sea levels and increasingly wild weather on the East Coast. Source
  • European Union sanctions heads of Russian intelligence for poisoning former spy and daughter

    World News CBC News
    The European Union has sanctioned the heads of Russia's military intelligence and two of their officers for poisoning a former Russian double agent in Britain last year, a decision Moscow dismissed as groundless. The EU travel bans and asset freezes issued Monday are against two men Britain has named as Russia intelligence officers Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov and accused of attempting to murder Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia. Source
  • Russia brandishes new superweapons as U.S. threatens to scrap nuclear treaty

    World News CBC News
    Welcome to The National Today newsletter, which takes a closer look at what's happening around some of the day's most notable stories. Sign up here and it will be delivered directly to your inbox Monday to Friday. Source
  • Man accused of throwing trailer hitch at woman in Thunder Bay, Ont., to stand trial for 2nd degree murder

    Canada News CBC News
    A Thunder Bay, Ont., man will stand trial for second degree murder in the death of an Indigenous woman who was hit by a trailer hitch in January 2017. Brayden Bushby was initially charged with aggravated assault, accused of throwing a metal trailer hitch from a moving vehicle which struck 34-year-old Barbara Kentner. Source
  • Death toll in Mexico pipeline fire reaches 89

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- The death toll in a massive fire at an illegally tapped pipeline in Mexico rose to 89 Monday as more of the injured have died at hospitals. Health Secretary Jorge Alcocer said 51 victims severely burned in the fire were still in hospitals, two of them in Galveston, Texas. Source