Ottawa investigating report of Canadian killed in Indonesia attack

Global Affairs Canada is investigating reports that a Canadian is among those who were killed in a brazen terror attack in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta.

See Full Article

In an email to CTV News, a spokesperson from the department said the Canadian government is working with Indonesian authorities to confirm the identity of the victim.

Explosions were set off at a Starbucks cafe in a busy shopping area, leading to a prolonged gun battle between gunmen and police Thursday that lasted for hours and left bodies in the streets.

Police say five attackers and two civilians were killed. At least 10 others were injured. It was unclear if any perpetrators remained at large.

Earlier Thursday, Indonesian cabinet secretary Pramono Anung said a Canadian civilian was among the seven dead.

Indonesia has been on edge for weeks following warnings that Islamic militants were planning something big. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Eliza Harvey, a reporter with Australia’s ABC News says Jakarta’s police chief says it is believed the South-East Asia arm of ISIS network is responsible for attacks.

Following the attack, Ottawa updated its travel advisory for Indonesia, warning Canadians that they should exercise a “high degree of caution” there due to a “continuing threat of terrorist attacks” in the country.

Attack ripped through central business district

Jeremy Douglas, the UN Regional Representative for Southeast Asia, was travelling to a work meeting in a car Thursday when the first bomb went off.

"I was about 500 metres away," he told CTV's Canada AM from Jakarta. "We pulled to the front of the building, and as I got out the door, the second suicide bomber detonated. That was about 100 metres away.

"You could really feel it at that point … it was chaotic, so we rushed into the building."

Douglas said he heard a total of six explosions, and watched from his office as a gunfight unfolded in the streets below.

"We were watching it from upstairs… it was quite a scene," he said.

Douglas said the attack took place in the bustling central business district of Jakarta, where there are several international hotels, shopping malls and coffee shops.

He said he works out of Bangkok, but was in Jakarta to help craft a counter-terrorism strategy with government officials. "I just happened to be here at the wrong time," he said.

He said while Indonesia is generally a "very safe"country, there is an ever-present background threat due to groups that are sympathetic to al Qaeda and ISIS.

Indonesian police spokesman: two foreigners died in today's #JakartaBlasts. One Dutch person, one Candian.

— Eliza Harvey (@harvey_eliza) January 14, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Organizer of Saturday D.C. rally looks to rewrite Jan. 6 history

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The architect of a Washington protest planned for Saturday that aims to rewrite history about the violent January assault on the U.S. Capitol is hardly a household name. Matt Braynard worked as an analyst for the Republican Party, crunched data for a small election firm and later started a consulting business that attracted few federal clients, records show. Source
  • Rittenhouse hearing to decide on evidence allowed at trial

    World News CTV News
    MADISON, WIS. -- A judge was set to decide Friday whether jurors at the trial of a man accused of killing two men and wounding a third during a police brutality protest in Wisconsin last year will see video that prosecutors say shows him talking about wanting to shoot people. Source
  • Minnesota Supreme Court rules Minneapolis voters may decide on abolishing the police department in upcoming elections

    World News CTV News
    The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Thursday that voters in Minneapolis may decide on abolishing the police department in the upcoming municipal elections. The measure, if approved, would amend the city charter to replace the Minneapolis Police Department with a new Department of Public Safety. Source
  • B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs

    Canada News CBC News
    B.C. says it won't be able to take any of Alberta's extra intensive care unit patients at a time when that province's hospitals are buckling under the weight of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19. Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services (AHS) said Wednesday it will ask other provinces if they can take ICU patients who need care, or spare staff that can work in intensive care units. Source
  • Cuba begins vaccinating children as young as 2

    World News CTV News
    HAVANA -- Sitting on her mother's lap, 2-year-old Lucia looked at the illustrations in her book while around her several children watched the doctors in white coats and nurses with thermometers in amazement. In an adjoining room, Danielito, also 2, sniffled while getting a shot as a clown tried to distract him. Source
  • Haiti PM, under fire, addresses evidence in leader's slaying

    World News CTV News
    PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI -- The office of Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry issued its first public statement Thursday about evidence authorities say they have of phone calls between him and a key suspect in the presidential assassination, saying he received countless calls from people concerned for his safety following the slaying. Source
  • U.S. boosts security, warns risk of violence at pro-Trump Capitol rally

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Travellers arriving at the airport nearest Washington, D.C., will face increased security in the run-up to a planned Saturday rally supporting people charged with taking part in the deadly Jan. 6 riot, the U.S. Source
  • Lawyer charged in probe of Trump-Russia investigation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The prosecutor tasked with examining the U.S. government's investigation into Russian election interference charged a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on Thursday with making a false statement to the FBI. The case against the attorney, Michael Sussmann, is just the second prosecution brought by special counsel John Durham in two-and-a-half years of work. Source
  • Florida surpasses 50,000 COVID-19 deaths after especially deadly summer fuelled by delta variant

    World News CBC News
    Florida surpassed 50,000 coronavirus deaths since the pandemic began, health officials reported Thursday, with more than one-fourth of those succumbing this summer as the state battled a fierce surge in infections fuelled by the delta variant. Source
  • Father files $1M lawsuit after daughter's hair cut by Michigan teacher

    World News CBC News
    The father of a seven-year-old Michigan girl whose hair was cut by a teacher without her parents' permission has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the school district, a librarian and a teacher's assistant. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Grand Rapids against Mount Pleasant Public Schools, MLive.com reported. Source