Feds have year to review parent-and-grandparent sponsorship: McCallum

OTTAWA -- Immigration Minister John McCallum says there could be a better way to accept applications for a coveted sponsorship program other than the current system, which has some couriers charging hundreds of dollars to deliver files.

See Full Article

But McCallum is not committed to making any changes, saying only that the government has a year to review the process before the parent and grandparent program re-opens.

The Canadian Press reported this week that couriers lined up at a Toronto-area immigration office hours before the program opened for applications on Jan. 4 and, in some cases, they charged clients as much as $400 in order to guarantee their file would be among the first submitted.

Only 5,000 spots are currently available in the first-come, first-served visa program, though the Liberals have promised to raise the cap to 10,000.

Over 14,000 applications were received this year and the Immigration Department is holding on to the excess files pending that increase.

McCallum suggests the higher cap would come with the release of the government's overall plan for immigration in 2016.

The parent and grandparent sponsorship program only accepts applications by mail or courier to the processing centre in Mississauga, Ont., and since it re-opened in 2014 with a cap on applications, it has hit that ceiling within the first few days.

McCallum's department had said previously the first-come, first-served approach was an effort to ensure the program's fairness and the rates charged by couriers were beyond their control.

Some applicants have said the way the program is structured leaves them no choice but to pay what it takes to get their files in first, a system that particularly hurts applicants from outside Ontario, who have to pay higher delivery fees just to get them to the office.

"If you're telling me that we could find a better way to handle this so that people don't have to pay these high fees to couriers, then I accept the point," McCallum said Wednesday.

"The exercise has been completed now for 2016 but we will have a year to figure out ways in which we might improve that process for the next year."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec woman arrested in the Bahamas for allegedly having sex with a minor

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL - A Quebec mother of three is under arrest in the Bahamas for allegedly having sex with a teenage boy. Karine Gagne, 23, is accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old American boy earlier this month. Source
  • Quebec mom arrested in the Bahamas for allegedly having sex with teen

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — A Quebec mother of three is under arrest in the Bahamas for allegedly having sex with a teenage boy. Karine Gagne, 23, is accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old American boy earlier this month. Her mother tells Radio-Canada her daughter was on a cruise ship when she met a young male who supposedly told her he was 18. Source
  • O'Leary: If I don't win a majority then 'fire me'

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Kevin O’Leary is telling Conservatives to give him the boot if he doesn’t win a majority mandate for the party in 2019. He also wants to use drones instead of jets to patrol our borders to save money. Source
  • Garland murder trial to hear about tampered lock on victims' home

    Canada News CBC News
    CBC News is bringing you the latest developments from the trial when it resumes Thursday. You can also follow the latest tweets from Meghan Grant, the CBC's reporter in the courtroom, at the bottom of this story or, if on mobile, in this live blog. Source
  • Genworth matches CMHC's move to hike mortgage insurance premiums

    Canada News CBC News
    Genworth Canada, the largest private mortgage insurer in Canada, has matched the CMHC's move earlier this week to hike the premiums it charges homeowners to insure their mortgages. On Monday, the housing agency raised its mortgage premiums across the board in response to new federal regulations aimed at increasing the amount of cash the CMHC has on hand to hold against their mortgages. Source
  • The latest: U.S. president-elect leaves Trump Tower for DC

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The latest developments on the day before the inauguration of U.S. president-elect Donald Trump (all times EST): 11:25 a.m. It may rain on Donald Trump's parade. Due to the forecast of rain for Inauguration Day, the National Park Service is revising its "no umbrella" policy for Friday. Source
  • The latest: Trump Cabinet is first without Latino in decades

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The latest developments on the day before the inauguration of U.S. president-elect Donald Trump (all times EST): 12:20 p.m. U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's spokesman is dismissing concerns about the absence of a Latino in the new Cabinet. Source
  • Twisted attorney Michael Fine sentenced to 12 years after hypnotizing clients with sick dirty talk

    World News Toronto Sun
    A twisted Ohio attorney is behind bars after pleading guilty to charges claiming he hypnotized female clients to fulfill his own sick, sexual fantasies. Michael Fine’s clients believed he was helping them with their marital problems — until his therapeutic sessions amounted to disturbing dirty talk and alleged touching. Source
  • Man allegedly tried to strangle wife after dreaming she’d cheated on him

    World News Toronto Sun
    EYNON, Pa. — Police say a Pennsylvania man tried to strangle his wife after he woke up from a dream in which she was cheating on him. Archibald police say 49-year-old Conrad Rudalavage had been drinking before he fell asleep, then woke up Saturday convinced that his wife was unfaithful. Source
  • 91-year-old former president Bush and wife Barbara remain in Houston hospital

    World News CBC News
    Former president George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, on Thursday remained hospitalized in Houston, where he was in intensive care for pneumonia and she was being treated for bronchitis. The 92-year-old former president went into the ICU on Wednesday and underwent a procedure "to protect and clear his airway that required sedation," family spokesman Jim McGrath said in a statement. Source