Bennett holds MMIW pre-inquiry meeting in Vancouver

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett continued her cross-country tour as part of pre-inquiry meetings into the issue of missing and murdered aboriginal women in Vancouver on Tuesday.

See Full Article

Bennett kicked off the circuit last week in Thunder Bay, Ont., and has so far scheduled at least four more stops before it is set to wrap up by summer.

The sessions -- which have been designated the "design phase" of the inquiry -- are being held with the victim's families, as well as frontline workers and other aboriginal community organizations.

On Tuesday, Bennett stressed the importance of reaching out to citizens across the country for their input.

"We hope that all Canadians will be part of this really important step forward on reconciliation," she said.

Bennett met with numerous victims' advocates, including several representatives from Vancouver's Memorial March Committee, which was created to honour missing and murdered women from the city's poverty-stricken Downtown Eastside.

The committee has been calling for a national inquiry for decades.

One member of the group, Fay Blaney, emphasized the need for the inquiry to address the issue of violence not only on a local level, but in Canadian society as a whole.

"We experience violence not only in our communities, but we experience violence from the larger population," she said.

Many of the advocates had relatives and friends who had gone missing or been murdered.

"These women had names and identities -- they mean something to us," said Carol Martin, a victim's service worker at the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre and member of the committee.

Coola Louis, the women's representative for the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, also met with Bennett and urged the minister to learn from B.C.'s 2012 report by the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry.

The report was issued in an effort to address the systemic gaps that allowed serial killer Robert Pickton to target sex workers in the Downtown Eastside.

The inquiry's commissioner, Wally Oppal, made 65 recommendations, including compensation for victims' families and safer transportation along B.C.'s so-called Highway of Tears.

Louis criticized the 2012 inquiry for being too limited in scope and not open to everyone who wanted to participate.

"We don't want to repeat some of the same mistakes," she said.

"And in this pre-inquiry stage, it is easy to slip."

Bennett hopes to complete the pre-inquiry consultation by as early as the beginning of May.

Canadians who can't attend in person can also take part by filling out an online survey.

With a report from CTV News' Melanie Nagy



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Chris the sheep, famed for record-breaking fleece, dies

    World News CTV News
    An Australian sheep that entered the Guinness World Records after being found with an enormously overgrown fleece has died, its carers announced. Chris the merino sheep made global headlines after being found wandering alone outside Australia's capital Canberra with masses of wool sagging from its frame in 2015. Source
  • Russia, Turkey seal power in northeast Syria with new accord

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey — Russia and Turkey reached an agreement Tuesday that would cement their power in Syria, deploying their forces across nearly its entire northeastern border to fill the void left by U.S. President Donald Trump’s abrupt withdrawal of U.S. Source
  • Northern Ireland decriminalizes abortion, same-sex marriage

    World News CTV News
    Same-sex marriage and abortion laws in Northern Ireland were liberalized on Monday in a landmark shift for the province aimed at bringing it into line with mainland Britain but which has stoked resentment. The relaxation of the U.K. Source
  • Wildfire that threatened Alberta communities was arson: RCMP, province

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- A wildfire that threatened remote communities in north-central Alberta and torched 2,730 square kilometres of forest was deliberately set. RCMP and Alberta government investigators have determined the McMillan wildfire started as a result of arson. Source
  • California braces for possible second round of outages

    World News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- California's largest utility planned to decide Wednesday whether to black out some half-million customers as dangerous fire weather returns to California. Pacific Gas & Electric said it could begin precautionary power shutoffs as early as Wednesday afternoon to about 189,000 homes and businesses in portions of 16 counties, mostly in the Sierra foothills and north of the San Francisco Bay Area. Source
  • Protests, uncertainty over possible Morales win in Bolivia

    World News CTV News
    LA PAZ, Bolivia -- International election monitors expressed concern over Bolivia's presidential election process Tuesday after an oddly delayed official quick count showed President Evo Morales near an outright first-round victory -- even as a more formal tally tended to show him heading for a risky runoff. Source
  • In election's wake, Trans Mountain still looms large in B.C. and beyond

    Canada News CBC News
    Minutes after his re-election was announced to a jubilant crowd of supporters at Joey's Restaurant in Burnaby Monday night, Terry Beech told reporters he gave more than 40 interviews during the 2019 election. Every one of those interviews, the returning Liberal MP for Burnaby North-Seymour said, meant answering questions about the Trans Mountain pipeline. Source
  • Hong Kong government to withdraw bill that sparked protests

    World News CTV News
    Hong Kong authorities are set to formally withdraw an unpopular extradition bill that sparked months of chaotic protests in the semi-autonomous Chinese city. The security chief is due on Wednesday to announce the bill's withdrawal in the city's legislature. Source
  • Hong Kong government withdraws bill that sparked protests

    World News CTV News
    Hong Kong authorities on Wednesday withdrew an unpopular extradition bill that sparked months of chaotic protests that have since morphed into a campaign for greater democratic change. "I now formally announce the withdrawal of the bill," Secretary for Security John Lee told the city's legislature. Source
  • Son of Brazil's Bolsonaro gives up on being ambassador to U.S.

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- The son of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has given up on being appointed as his country's ambassador to the United States. Eduardo Bolsonaro made the announcement Tuesday night in a speech in the Chamber of Deputies, where he has a seat. Source