March held for man fatally shot by police in northern New Brunswick

TRACADIE-SHEILA, N.B. -- More than 100 people marched through the small town of Tracadie-Sheila, N.B., on Tuesday to pay tribute to a local businessman shot dead a year ago during a police drug investigation that went awry.

See Full Article

In November, RCMP charged two Bathurst City Police officers in the death of 51-year-old Michel Vienneau, who was shot in his vehicle near the Bathurst train station on Jan. 12, 2014.

The Mounties have said their investigation revealed that Vienneau was not involved in criminal activity.

A lawsuit filed by Vienneau's common-law partner, Annick Basque, alleges that his death was caused by police negligence.

In response to Basque's lawsuit, the City of Bathurst filed a statement of defence saying the officers were investigating whether the couple were in possession of illegal drugs after returning from a trip to Montreal.

The statement also says the officers clearly identified themselves to Vienneau and had tried to stop his vehicle before it accelerated, pinning an officer against a snowbank. It says one officer fired at the car as it moved toward his colleague.

None of the lawsuit's allegations or statement of defence have been proven in court.

Camille McLaughlin, a local businessman and a friend of Vienneau's for more than 20 years, said Tuesday's march was organized as a memorial for a good neighbour and as a protest against the way local police have acted.

The march started at the local church and ended at the shopping centre where Vienneau had owned an electronics store for many years.

A news conference was later held at the mall, where questions were raised about police conduct and there were calls for the resignation of the police chief, McLaughlin said.

"As friends, we don't want this to happen again," McLaughlin said in an interview. "It was terrible what happened."

McLaughlin said he was with Vienneau and Basque in Montreal before the pair boarded the train headed for Bathurst.

Constables Patrick Bulger, 38, and Mathieu Boudreau, 26, are each facing charges of manslaughter with a weapon, assault with a weapon and unlawfully pointing a firearm. Both have yet to enter pleas.

The officers are scheduled to return to court Feb. 3.

Bathurst City Police Chief Eugene Poitras has said the two officers have been suspended until the court process is concluded.

The RCMP in Nova Scotia were asked to investigate the incident and handed their findings to New Brunswick's Public Prosecution Service last summer.

The New Brunswick Police Commission, which investigates complaints related to police conduct, has suspended its investigation until the criminal process concludes.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Organizer of Saturday D.C. rally looks to rewrite Jan. 6 history

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The architect of a Washington protest planned for Saturday that aims to rewrite history about the violent January assault on the U.S. Capitol is hardly a household name. Matt Braynard worked as an analyst for the Republican Party, crunched data for a small election firm and later started a consulting business that attracted few federal clients, records show. Source
  • Rittenhouse hearing to decide on evidence allowed at trial

    World News CTV News
    MADISON, WIS. -- A judge was set to decide Friday whether jurors at the trial of a man accused of killing two men and wounding a third during a police brutality protest in Wisconsin last year will see video that prosecutors say shows him talking about wanting to shoot people. Source
  • Minnesota Supreme Court rules Minneapolis voters may decide on abolishing the police department in upcoming elections

    World News CTV News
    The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Thursday that voters in Minneapolis may decide on abolishing the police department in the upcoming municipal elections. The measure, if approved, would amend the city charter to replace the Minneapolis Police Department with a new Department of Public Safety. Source
  • B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs

    Canada News CBC News
    B.C. says it won't be able to take any of Alberta's extra intensive care unit patients at a time when that province's hospitals are buckling under the weight of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19. Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services (AHS) said Wednesday it will ask other provinces if they can take ICU patients who need care, or spare staff that can work in intensive care units. Source
  • Cuba begins vaccinating children as young as 2

    World News CTV News
    HAVANA -- Sitting on her mother's lap, 2-year-old Lucia looked at the illustrations in her book while around her several children watched the doctors in white coats and nurses with thermometers in amazement. In an adjoining room, Danielito, also 2, sniffled while getting a shot as a clown tried to distract him. Source
  • Haiti PM, under fire, addresses evidence in leader's slaying

    World News CTV News
    PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI -- The office of Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry issued its first public statement Thursday about evidence authorities say they have of phone calls between him and a key suspect in the presidential assassination, saying he received countless calls from people concerned for his safety following the slaying. Source
  • U.S. boosts security, warns risk of violence at pro-Trump Capitol rally

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Travellers arriving at the airport nearest Washington, D.C., will face increased security in the run-up to a planned Saturday rally supporting people charged with taking part in the deadly Jan. 6 riot, the U.S. Source
  • Lawyer charged in probe of Trump-Russia investigation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The prosecutor tasked with examining the U.S. government's investigation into Russian election interference charged a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on Thursday with making a false statement to the FBI. The case against the attorney, Michael Sussmann, is just the second prosecution brought by special counsel John Durham in two-and-a-half years of work. Source
  • Florida surpasses 50,000 COVID-19 deaths after especially deadly summer fuelled by delta variant

    World News CBC News
    Florida surpassed 50,000 coronavirus deaths since the pandemic began, health officials reported Thursday, with more than one-fourth of those succumbing this summer as the state battled a fierce surge in infections fuelled by the delta variant. Source
  • Father files $1M lawsuit after daughter's hair cut by Michigan teacher

    World News CBC News
    The father of a seven-year-old Michigan girl whose hair was cut by a teacher without her parents' permission has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the school district, a librarian and a teacher's assistant. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Grand Rapids against Mount Pleasant Public Schools, MLive.com reported. Source