Trans-Canada bridge failure a 'wakeup call': NDP MP

The federal government needs to step in to help clear a "choke point" caused by a damaged bridge on the Trans-Canada Highway, one NDP MP says.

See Full Article

Charlie Angus, MP for the riding of Timmins-James Bay, says the federal government needs to improve road conditions along the Trans-Canada Highway, and make it easier for trucks to take detours through the United States when parts of the highway are closed.

"These are serious choke points to the Canadian economy," Angus told CTV's Canada AM on Tuesday. "We need to have some federal presence stepping up to the plate here."

Angus' recommendations come as workers attempt to fix a damaged cable-stayed bridge over the Nipigon River, in northern Ontario. A segment of the bridge recently heaved more than 60 centimetres out of position, temporarily stopping all traffic along Canada's busy shipping route. Many transport trucks were forced to take a detour through the United States, which can add up to 12 hours to their trip because of customs checks.

One lane of the bridge has since been re-opened, but larger transport trucks are still being rerouted along a lengthy detour through the U.S.

"This is the economic truck corridor for the country," Angus said. "People think 'Well, it's way up north, it's not really an issue,' but it is an issue."

The recently-opened Nipigon River Bridge is the most expensive bridge ever built in Ontario. Approximately 1,300 trucks cross the bridge carrying an estimated $100 million worth of goods each day, according to a trucking industry spokesperson.

"It connects the east to the west, and there is only that one route," Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne told reporters on Monday.

Angus said the troubles at the bridge are indicative of the poor road conditions in northern Ontario. "On any given day in northern Ontario, the Trans-Canada is going to be closed at certain points," he said. "We really have third-rate roads, yet this is the main truck transfer route for all economic development in this country."

"I think it's a wakeup call to Canadians," he added.

The last bridge failure to impact the highway was in 2003, at Latchford.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Organizer of Saturday D.C. rally looks to rewrite Jan. 6 history

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The architect of a Washington protest planned for Saturday that aims to rewrite history about the violent January assault on the U.S. Capitol is hardly a household name. Matt Braynard worked as an analyst for the Republican Party, crunched data for a small election firm and later started a consulting business that attracted few federal clients, records show. Source
  • Rittenhouse hearing to decide on evidence allowed at trial

    World News CTV News
    MADISON, WIS. -- A judge was set to decide Friday whether jurors at the trial of a man accused of killing two men and wounding a third during a police brutality protest in Wisconsin last year will see video that prosecutors say shows him talking about wanting to shoot people. Source
  • Minnesota Supreme Court rules Minneapolis voters may decide on abolishing the police department in upcoming elections

    World News CTV News
    The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Thursday that voters in Minneapolis may decide on abolishing the police department in the upcoming municipal elections. The measure, if approved, would amend the city charter to replace the Minneapolis Police Department with a new Department of Public Safety. Source
  • B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs

    Canada News CBC News
    B.C. says it won't be able to take any of Alberta's extra intensive care unit patients at a time when that province's hospitals are buckling under the weight of patients who are critically ill with COVID-19. Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services (AHS) said Wednesday it will ask other provinces if they can take ICU patients who need care, or spare staff that can work in intensive care units. Source
  • Cuba begins vaccinating children as young as 2

    World News CTV News
    HAVANA -- Sitting on her mother's lap, 2-year-old Lucia looked at the illustrations in her book while around her several children watched the doctors in white coats and nurses with thermometers in amazement. In an adjoining room, Danielito, also 2, sniffled while getting a shot as a clown tried to distract him. Source
  • Haiti PM, under fire, addresses evidence in leader's slaying

    World News CTV News
    PORT AU PRINCE, HAITI -- The office of Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry issued its first public statement Thursday about evidence authorities say they have of phone calls between him and a key suspect in the presidential assassination, saying he received countless calls from people concerned for his safety following the slaying. Source
  • U.S. boosts security, warns risk of violence at pro-Trump Capitol rally

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Travellers arriving at the airport nearest Washington, D.C., will face increased security in the run-up to a planned Saturday rally supporting people charged with taking part in the deadly Jan. 6 riot, the U.S. Source
  • Lawyer charged in probe of Trump-Russia investigation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The prosecutor tasked with examining the U.S. government's investigation into Russian election interference charged a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on Thursday with making a false statement to the FBI. The case against the attorney, Michael Sussmann, is just the second prosecution brought by special counsel John Durham in two-and-a-half years of work. Source
  • Florida surpasses 50,000 COVID-19 deaths after especially deadly summer fuelled by delta variant

    World News CBC News
    Florida surpassed 50,000 coronavirus deaths since the pandemic began, health officials reported Thursday, with more than one-fourth of those succumbing this summer as the state battled a fierce surge in infections fuelled by the delta variant. Source
  • Father files $1M lawsuit after daughter's hair cut by Michigan teacher

    World News CBC News
    The father of a seven-year-old Michigan girl whose hair was cut by a teacher without her parents' permission has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the school district, a librarian and a teacher's assistant. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Grand Rapids against Mount Pleasant Public Schools, MLive.com reported. Source