Two Nova Scotia teens accused of distributing child porn

Two teenagers in Nova Scotia are facing child pornography charges after intimate images were allegedly distributed and published online.

After Windsor District RCMP received a complaint on Jan.

See Full Article

6, investigators determined that three intimate images of a 15-year-old girl were being distributed online and through text messages.

Police say other students noticed the photos and told school authorities, who reported the matter to police.

Two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, both from Hants County, are facing charges of possession and distribution of child pornography. The girl is also charged with publishing pornography, police say.

"The female had the image and she posted it on an online chat site, which therefore would be the publication of child pornography," RCMP Const. Mark Skinner told CTV Atlantic.

Police say the victim and the accused all know each other. The accused teens are due in court on April 1.

The case is a stark reminder for Leah Parsons, the mother of Rehtaeh Parsons.

Rehtaeh Parsons died in April 2013 after attempting suicide. Her family alleges that she was sexually assaulted in 2011, and bullied for months after a digital photo of the assault was passed around her school.

"It brings up emotions," Leah Parsons told CTV Atlantic. "But when I hear that it's been dealt with very quickly and efficiently, it gives me hope that the message is going to get out there to the student body, that it's just not acceptable to share photos to degrade somebody this way."

She said while she's happy police acted so quickly in the new case, she believes more needs to be done.

"We have to get into those schools," she said. "We have to keep talking and keep telling the students how important this is, because these are teenagers who do things on impulse."

Police are urging all parents to talk to their children about the potential dangers of smartphones.

"Much of our youth are constantly communicating on their smartphones," Const. Skinner said in a statement. "We need to ensure they understand the gravity of their actions and the consequences associated with the sharing of intimate images without consent."

Skinner said the only way to truly protect yourself is to refrain from taking intimate or naked photos.

With a report from CTV Atlantic's Kayla Hounsell and files from The Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Tight race between Liberals and Tories as New Brunswick goes to the polls

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- New Brunswick voters go to the polls today in a provincial election that appears to be a tight race between the incumbent Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives. Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is looking to become the first New Brunswick premier to win a second term since 2003. Source
  • Man accused of killing four people in Fredericton to make court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A Fredericton man, accused of killing four people, including two city police officers, in a shooting spree last month makes this second court appearance today. Matthew Vincent Raymond faces four counts of murder in the deaths of Const. Source
  • Decision expected in trial of Dellen Millard, accused of killing his father

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A decision is expected today in the case of a man accused of killing his father, whose death was initially deemed a suicide. Dellen Millard, 32, of Toronto, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of 71-year-old Wayne Millard. Source
  • New sexual misconduct accusation roils Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CBC News
    A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperilled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fuelled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • New misconduct accusations roil Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperiled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fueled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • New sexual-misconduct accusation rocks Kavanaugh nomination

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A second allegation of sexual misconduct has emerged against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a development that has further imperiled his nomination to the Supreme Court, forced the White House and Senate Republicans onto the defensive and fueled calls from Democrats to postpone further action on his confirmation. Source
  • Trump at UN to again confront North Korea's nuclear threat

    World News CTV News
    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. -- As he begins the sequel to his stormy U.N. debut, President Donald Trump will again confront the dangers posed by North Korea's nuclear threat, though its shadow may appear somewhat less ominous than a year ago. Source
  • In a first, Hong Kong bans pro-independence political party

    World News CBC News
    Authorities in Hong Kong have taken an unprecedented step against separatist voices by banning a political party that advocates independence for the southern Chinese territory on national security grounds. Hong Kong's secretary for security, John Lee, announced Monday that the Hong Kong National Party will be prohibited from operation. Source
  • Yemen could run out of food in as little as 2 months: Oxfam

    World News CTV News
    A country where millions of people are already starving could run out of food in as little as two months if a key port gets shut down, desperate aid workers in Yemen say. The United Nations says that three-quarters of war-torn Yemen’s 29 million people rely on humanitarian assistance, including eight million who are considered “severely food insecure. Source
  • U.S. Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh denies 2nd sexual misconduct allegation

    World News CBC News
    The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing Thursday for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, a woman who says he sexually assaulted her as a teenager, as second claim of sexual misconduct emerged from another woman. Source