OPG to announce $12.8 billion refurbishment of Darlington nuclear reactors

TORONTO - Ontario Power Generation will unveil plans Monday for a $12.8-billion refurbishment of four nuclear reactors at the Darlington generating station east of Toronto.

See Full Article

The Canadian Press has learned the Liberal cabinet has given approval to start the rebuild of the first reactor this fall, and OPG will have to come back to the government for approval of each subsequent reactor refurbishment project.

Sources familiar with the announcement say the final budget includes a $1.7 billion contingency fund in case of cost-overruns on the $4.5 billion portion of the project done inside the reactor itself - the nuclear science work deemed as "subject to execution risk" versus the fixed contracts for the majority of the supporting infrastructure.

OPG estimates it would need between 7.8 cents-to-8.1- cents-per-kilowatt-hour to recover the total cost of the refurbishment, below current averages of 9.2 cents-per-kwh, but more than privately-owned Bruce Power will be paid under a new contract.

Bruce announced plans last month to spend $13 billion to refurbish six nuclear reactors at the generating station it operates under contract in Kincardine, on Lake Huron. It will be paid between 6.57-to-7.7-cents-a-kwh for the power generated by the refurbished reactors.

The Liberal government wants to extend the scheduled lifespan of the reactors at both generating stations, which would normally end around 2020, by about another 30 years.

OPG was "limiting risk by including contractual provisions that keep contractors and subcontractors accountable for any delays or overruns," on the Darlington refurbishment, said one source.

Bruce Power assumed all risks of cost overruns for its nuclear rebuild project, which will start in 2020, four years later than originally planned.

Ontario's only other nuclear generating station, in Pickering, is also scheduled to be decommissioned in 2020, and there are no plans to rebuild its reactors.

OPG president and CEO Jeff Lyash touted the benefits of the Darlington refurbishment in a recent speech, citing a Conference Board of Canada report showing it would generate $14.9 billion in economic benefits to Ontario and create 11,800 jobs a year during the peak of construction.

The government estimates there are 180 Ontario companies in the supply chain to refurbish the Candu reactors.

Premier Kathleen Wynne wants to keep generating about 50 per cent of Ontario's electricity from nuclear power, and points out that her government cancelled plans to build a new nuclear generating station, which would have cost at least $15 billion.

Ontario's opposition parties say the Liberals have made a mess of the electricity sector and have driven rates so high they are forcing companies to leave the province for cheaper-power in neighbouring provinces and states.

Anti-nuclear activists like the Ontario Clean Air Alliance say nuclear projects always run over budget, and they want OPG to abandon the refurbishment plans and instead import more electricity from Quebec.

Greenpeace Canada is concerned about possible accidents at nuclear generating stations, and says refurbishing the aging reactors at Darlington is not worth the risk.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rudy Giuliani joining Trump's Russia probe legal team

    World News CBC News
    ?Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, a one-time federal prosecutor, is joining U.S. President Donald Trump's personal legal team, Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow said in a statement on Thursday. "Rudy is great. He has been my friend for a long time and wants to get this matter quickly resolved for the good of the country," Sekulow quoted Trump as saying. Source
  • Rudy Giuliani to join Trump legal team in Russia probe

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani is joining the legal team defending U.S. President Donald Trump in the special counsel's Russia investigation. That's according to a statement from Trump personal attorney Jay Sekulow. Source
  • 8,000 Disneyland tickets worth about $800K stolen from youth group

    World News CTV News
    GALT, Calif. - Thieves made off with eight-thousand Disneyland tickets worth about 800-thousand dollars when they stole a box trailer from a youth agricultural education organization. The tickets were to have been distributed to participants at a conference in Southern California. Source
  • Edmonton police charge youth in sex trafficking case involving girl

    Canada News CTV News
    Edmonton police have laid human-trafficking charges against a youth accused of sexually exploiting a girl. Police say the youth met the girl at a mall and spent time with her for a month, showering her with expensive gifts. Source
  • Doug Ford says his company would benefit 'probably very little' from his own tax cut

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario's Progressive Conservative leader acknowledged Thursday that his company would benefit, although "probably very little," from his proposal to cut corporate taxes, but said he would not personally stand to gain anything. Doug Ford, a businessman and former Toronto city councillor whose family owns and operates Deco Labels and Tags, has promised to cut the provincial corporate tax by one percentage point if the Tories are elected to power this spring. Source
  • Prominent Nunavut businessman faces $1.2M sex assault judgment

    Canada News CTV News
    IQALUIT, Nunavut -- A prominent Nunavut businessman has been ordered to pay $1.2 million in damages for almost 20 years of sexual assaults on four children. There's no guarantee that the victims of Ike Haulli will see any money, despite repeated abuse inflicted over years. Source
  • Hundreds apply to see or block the opening of adoption records in New Brunswick

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- Just weeks after the New Brunswick government opened a century of adoption records there is growing interest from people who want to know more about their past, and those who want that information kept secret. Source
  • Quebec City mosque leadership takes stand at shooter's sentencing hearing

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC -- The head of a Quebec City mosque where six worshippers were gunned down addressed the author of the rampage directly in court Thursday and pointedly asked him why he committed the crimes. "Why? Why?," said Boufeldja Benabdallah, his eyes trained on killer Alexandre Bissonnette as he testified at his sentencing arguments. Source
  • 'People refer to us as Switzerland': King of Swaziland changes country's name

    World News CBC News
    Swaziland's King Mswati III, Africa's last absolute monarch, said Thursday he was officially renaming the country as the Kingdom of eSwatini. He announced the change to eSwatini, meaning "land of the Swazis," in the local Swati language at Golden Jubilee celebrations of the 50th anniversary of Swazi independence and of his 50th birthday. Source
  • Dash cam video captured by Manitoba courier sparks concerns about crosswalk safety

    Canada News CTV News
    When a woman was having trouble crossing a busy intersection in Selkirk, Manitoba, Rick Ritchie’s dash cam was there to capture every second. The video shows the pedestrian waiting on the side of the road as cars continue to speed through the marked crosswalk. Source