Red Cross racing to prep military bases for Syrian reguees

OTTAWA -- Refugee agencies and the Red Cross are racing to line up housing for thousands of Syrians in the coming weeks as the focus of the Liberal government's program shifts from refugees with private sponsors to those assisted by the government alone.

See Full Article

Three military bases in Ontario and Quebec should be ready by the end of next week to provide essential services for government-assisted refugees, said Hossam Elsharkawi, associate vice president, international operations for the Canadian Red Cross.

"We are not able at this stage to quite understand how many weeks they will stay at these centres, but at least these centres will have the capacity of three to four thousand refugees," he said,

"If we need to grow that to larger, we will."

So far, the bases haven't had to be used in part because privately sponsored refugees -- representing about 10,000 of the 25,000 Syrians the Liberals say they will bring to Canada by the end of February -- have groups arranging housing. Those refugees formed the majority of the first wave of resettlement.

But with arrivals set to spool up in the remaining seven weeks of the program, especially those of government-assisted refugees, finding enough temporary housing has become an urgent issue.

Over the course of a normal year, Canada takes in about 7,000 government-assisted refugees, sent to one of the 36 cities with agreements in place to provide support services paid for by the federal government.

In many of these cities, organizations run residences that can handle a few hundred people at most for a few weeks while they search for more permanent housing.

Government-assisted refugees often arrive in clusters, but having 15,000 of them coming in the space of three months is overwhelming.

Regina usually receives about 215 government-assisted refugees a year but is preparing to handle 348 by the end of February.

"It's not too much more, but in the span of two months we are getting almost double what we get in a year, " said Getachew Woldeyesus of the Regina Open Door Society. "The pressure is not the number but it is the time frame."

Still, the extension of the original government deadline to resettle all 25,000 by the end of last year gave the group time to secure 300 apartments, thanks to the generosity of landlords and a lot of leg work.

As of Jan. 6, 6,974 Syrians had arrived in Canada. Currently, the overflow in other cities has been managed by accommodating people in hotels or motels.

Military bases are the option of last resort, said Debbie Douglas, executive director, Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants.

"It's difficult to have folks come from one camp into another military setting," she said.

Since the start of the program, military bases were eyed for housing needs, but neither the Defence Department nor the Immigration Department would elaborate Friday on the plan to use them.

CFB Kingston and CFB Valcartier have always been at the top of the list, followed by Meaford, Petawawa, Trenton and Borden.

"Due to the many factors influencing if and when a refugee will have to go to an (interim lodging site), it is premature to speculate on the scale of possible operations," Faith St. John, a spokesperson for the Immigration Department wrote in an e-mail.

Refugee agencies currently provide daily updates to the government on how many beds they have and some of the resettlement funding already allocated by the Liberals has gone to securing more space to avoid the use of bases.

A national shortage of affordable housing, especially in major cities, will make securing long-term housing for all refugees a challenge.

Several real estate firms have offered apartments, including Calgary-based Mainstreet Equities. It initially said it would provide up to 200 discounted apartments but is now looking at raising that number, said company president Bob Dhillon.

Prior to the end of 2015, there had been little interest in his offer but in recent days his office has been fielding dozens of calls.

"When somebody newly arrives into Canada, you can make their lives by offering a little assistance," he said. "That first home is everything."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canada suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong over new security law

    World News CBC News
    Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne says Canada is suspending its extradition treaty with Hong Kong as part of a package of responses to the new security law China has imposed on the territory. "This process demonstrated disregard for Hong Kong's basic law and the high degree of autonomy promised for Hong Kong under the 'one country, two systems' framework," Champagne said. Source
  • Canada, U.S. excluded from Britain's new quarantine-free travel list

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Britain is allowing travellers from dozens of countries to arrive without self-isolating for 14 days, but Canada and the U.S. are not on the list. On Friday, the British government announced it would cancel the two weeks self-isolation requirement for people arriving from countries deemed a “lower risk” for the coronavirus. Source
  • Washington Redskins undergoing 'thorough review' of team name

    World News CBC News
    The Washington Redskins are undergoing a "thorough review" of their name. The National Football League team said Friday it has been talking to the league for weeks about the subject. In a statement, the team said recent events around the U.S. Source
  • Toronto bar that allegedly held secret indoor party will lose liquor licence

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A Toronto nightclub that allegedly hosted a secret indoor party without physical distancing measures will have its liquor licence revoked by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). In a tweet Friday, the commission said that it has imposed an "immediate suspension" of Goldie's liquor license and that it has also served the club with a notice that it intends to revoke its liquor licence. Source
  • Keystone XL pipeline construction starts in Alberta

    Canada News CBC News
    Alberta Premier Jason Kenney marked the start of construction in the province of the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday in the small town of Oyen. The 1,947-kilometre project will be able to carry 830,000 barrels of crude oil per day from Hardisty, Alta. Source
  • Fewer than 10% of police watchdog investigations in Canada end in charges against officers, analysis finds

    Canada News CBC News
    An analysis of data from civilian police watchdogs in Canada shows that most of their investigations do not result in charges against officers. Charges were laid or forwarded to Crown prosecutors for consideration in three to nine per cent of the cases opened by the provincial agencies, a review by The Canadian Press of their most recent annual reports largely covering 2018 and 2019 found. Source
  • 'National interest' and 'risk mitigation' paved way for Blue Jays to train in Toronto

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's Public Health Agency (PHAC) says robust measures taken by Major League Baseball to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 is what led the government to issue an exemption to the mandatory isolation order for the Blue Jays to hold training camp in Toronto. Source
  • Iran will not disclose cause of mysterious nuclear site fire

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES -- An online video and messages purportedly claiming responsibility for a fire that analysts say damaged a centrifuge assembly plant at Iran's underground Natanz nuclear site deepened the mystery Friday around the incident -- even as Tehran insisted it knew the cause but would not make it public due to "security reasons. Source
  • Noose found in northern Alberta hospital prompts province investigation

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- The Alberta government is launching a third-party investigation after a noose was found taped to the door of an operating room at the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Grande Prairie in 2016. Health Minister Tyler Shandro said he was made aware of the "racist act" last August and that Alberta Health Services told him it was being addressed appropriately. Source
  • Federal government, WE Charity agree to part ways on summer student grant program

    Canada News CBC News
    The federal Liberal government and the WE Charity are ending a partnership that would have seen the charity distribute around $900 million in federal student grants this summer. The decision to outsource this work to a third-party with ties to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's family was criticized by some in the charitable sector and by the opposition Conservatives. Source