Navy finds five more breaches of secure network at N.S. training school

HALIFAX -- In the wake of the revelation of a large breach of information at the military's East Coast intelligence Centre, the navy's commander in the region now says there have been five more breaches of a secure military computer network at Canadian Forces Base Halifax.

See Full Article

In an interview requested by the navy on Thursday, Rear Admiral John Newton said the "non-nefarious breaches" occurred at the navy's training school at the base.

Newton said they were found after the navy began security scans of its system in September. He said those same scans had previously turned up a larger breach of information at the intelligence facility, HMCS Trinity.

He said the latest checks revealed an inappropriate use of information by three instructors and two students at the training school who transferred classified training material from the military's classified network to its unclassified network.

"Therefore I would suspect that the nature of the material on the military unclassified network now are a small group of files related to training of our sailors and how they operate their ships," said Newton.

He said the network scan found that a smaller number of files were involved than in the Trinity case, in which more than 1,000 secret documents were mishandled.

"In one of, less than 10 (files) and it's of that nature," Newton said.

While he classified the latest misuse as "small indiscretions," Newton said the navy views it as a serious matter. He said military police are investigating and so far, no charges have been laid.

The instructors involved have been transferred to an area that doesn't handle secure information, he said, while the students would also face administrative measures pending the outcome of the investigation.

Newton said he's confident the incident was contained within the military because he said its computer network is closed to the public and is not part of the Internet.

"There is no information I have of anything more serious than dealing with human error. Transgressions of moving stuff from one military network to another military network."

He suggested part of the problem may have involved people trying to digest course information in another format because of limited access to restricted computer terminals.

Newton said he's committed to reducing the number of incidents he describes as "background noise" in order to see if there are larger problems with the system.

"I've got to reduce those to zero so I can see people trying to abuse the networks for nefarious intent," he said.

The interview, conducted in Newton's office overlooking the Halifax naval dockyard, followed details of the Trinity breach that emerged on Monday.

A search warrant filed in provincial court by military police alleges that between 2004 and 2009 a web designer used Defence Department networks to improperly store secret files. None of the allegations has been proven in court and so far no charges have been laid.

A serious breach at Trinity in 2012 led to the arrest of Sub-Lt. Jeffrey Paul Delisle, a navy intelligence officer.

Delisle was sentenced to 20 years in prison in February 2013 for copying secret computer files and selling them to Russia.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hurricane Michael victims ID'd as death toll rises, recovery effort drags on

    World News CBC News
    Officials say the death toll from Hurricane Michael now stands at 35, including 25 who died in Florida. On Friday, authorities confirmed that a body recovered Monday was that of Aggie Vicari, a missing 79-year-old Mexico Beach woman. Source
  • Russian woman charged in first 2018 U.S. election meddling case

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. accused a Russian woman on Friday of helping oversee the finances of a sweeping, secretive effort to sway American public opinion through social media in the first federal case alleging foreign interference in the 2018 midterm elections. Source
  • Police say fatal shooting in Abbotsford, B.C., related to gang conflict

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - Police say a man who was shot to death Thursday evening in Abbotsford, B.C., is linked to the ongoing gang conflict in the Lower Mainland and was targeted for murder. Cpl. Frank Jang of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the victim has been identified, but his name will not be released until further investigation is complete. Source
  • Support from above: How Canada is aiding peacekeeping efforts in war-torn Mali

    Canada News CTV News
    As a child growing up in Nova Scotia, Cpl. Nicole Reid didn’t have very many nice belongings. “The things I had, I had to fix with my father so they worked and when I didn’t understand, I taught myself how to do it,” she explained. Source
  • Toronto police raid and shut down five marijuana dispensaries, vow to close more

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have shut down five pot shops in a co-ordinated raid Friday afternoon. Police spokesman Gary Long says the drug squad charged and released eight people under the new provincial cannabis legislation. It is only legal to buy marijuana in Ontario from the province's online website and police Chief Mark Saunders vowed to shut down illegal dispensaries after marijuana became legal on Wednesday. Source
  • Unburied fetuses, other bodies found in second funeral home

    World News CTV News
    DETROIT -- About 36 fetuses and infants have been removed from a Detroit funeral home, the second facility where remains have been improperly disposed. Detroit police raided Perry Funeral Home on Friday and found the remains. Source
  • 'I owe my life to this game': Jordin Tootoo retiring from NHL

    Canada News CBC News
    The first Inuk to play in the National Hockey League is retiring. Jordin Tootoo, 35, made the announcement Friday afternoon in Brandon, Man., where he began his hockey career playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League in 1999. Source
  • Swoop fails to get regulatory approval for U.S. flights, more than 20 trips cancelled

    Canada News CTV News
    Thousands of airline passengers have been left stranded after new Canadian low-cost carrier Swoop failed to get all the regulatory approvals needed for trips to the United States. The airline has been forced to cancel some of its flights last minute, with flights to the U.S. Source
  • Workers tied up in armed attack on legal Ontario pot grow-op

    Canada News CBC News
    Four workers were tied up and several items were taken in an armed attack on a legal marijuana grow-op near Beaverton, Ont., early Thursday morning, according to police. Durham Regional Police say that at approximately 6 a.m. Source
  • Ontario does brisk business with 100,000 pot orders in first 24 hours

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Ontario Cannabis Store says it has received about 100,000 online orders in the first 24 hours that marijuana was legal in Canada. The government-run OCS says 12,000 of those orders came within the first hour after legalization Wednesday morning. Source