Site C dam protesters in B.C. prepare for arrests

VANCOUVER - First Nations protesting the construction of the $9-billion Site C dam in northeastern British Columbia are preparing for their own arrests while they implore Prime Minister Justin Trudeau intervene to stop the hydroelectric project.

See Full Article

Helen Knott of the Prophet River First Nation said in an interview from the protest site that she and six other demonstrators are camped at Rocky Mountain Fort, the former site of a North West Company fur-trading post established in 1794 on the west side of the Moberly River, near Fort St. John.

RCMP said they arrested three protesters on Wednesday who had been blocking an access road needed by BC Hydro crews to begin work in the creation of the dam that will be the third on the Peace River. The dam will create an 83-kilometre-long reservoir and flood the area where the protesters are camping.

BC Hydro and Power Authority has issued an eviction notice, warning protesters that all contents of the camp set up on Dec. 31 will be removed and delivered to the RCMP.

Knott said the protesters are hunkering down and weathering snow and temperatures as low as -20 C, awaiting the possibility of arrest.

"It's not necessarily anybody goes into it with that idea, like 'yeah, we're going to be arrested,' right? It's that, 'yeah, we're committed to saving this tract of land and to, you know, actively use our treaty rights here," she said.

Knott said she would rather not be arrested but is willing to be at the camp and take a stand on an issue in which she believes.

Several First Nations and local residents have filed legal challenges over the dam, raising concerns about flooding and the impact the lake will create.

Art Napoleon of the Saulteau First Nation said in a phone interview from Victoria that the lake will flood the historic site and other sacred areas.

"That whole area was a culturally significant area for us, for hunting, trapping, fishing, gathering, a lot of history, all of our history, so that's our cultural institution and it's being raped, and it's still not enough," he said, adding he hopes Trudeau can get involved.

"Well, I don't know what exactly he can do but it's worth a shot, isn't it?," said Napoleon. "I believe we're after the possibility of ... governments taking a more-serious look at some of the alternatives that have been presented. They look pretty dam viable to me."

He said protesters still think smaller dams, and maybe even under water dams with turbines, are alternatives.

Peace River Valley resident Verena Hofmann said earlier this week that critics of the dam have asked Trudeau to reassess the environmental approval that was grated by the former federal Conservative government.

BC Hydro spokesman Craig Fitzsimmons has said the Crown corporation respects the rights of individuals to peacefully protest and express their opinions in a safe and lawful manner. He said Hydro hopes the issue can be resolved and it is in discussions with protesters.

The protest camp is in a remote area. Knott said once protesters leave the main highway, they must drive on rough, secondary roads for 90 minutes to two hours, before making another seven-kilometre trip by foot or snowmobile.

BC Hydro announced in December it would pay the Peace River Hydro Partners $1.75 billion to build the earthen dam, foundation, two diversion tunnels and spillways.

The partners are ACCIONA Infrastructure Canada Inc., Petrowest Corporation and Samsung C&T Canada Ltd.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Jurors convict singer R. Kelly of racketeering and sex trafficking

    World News CBC News
    Jurors have found R. Kelly guilty of racketeering and eight counts of sex trafficking after a trial in which prosecutors accused the R&B singer of exploiting his stardom over a quarter century to lure women and underage girls into his orbit for sex. Source
  • Egg thrown at French President Macron during food trade fair

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- French President Emmanuel Macron was hit on the shoulder Monday by an egg thrown at him by a young man during a visit to an international food trade fair in the French city of Lyon. Source
  • Nova Scotia reports 96th COVID-19 related death, 83 new cases over the weekend

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting the province’s 96th death related to COVID-19 on Thursday. In a news release, N.S. Health says a man in his 80s died in the Central zone. Source
  • Vaccine enforcement begins in Calgary as doctors renew calls for targeted measures

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - The City of Calgary has ticketed two businesses for failing to comply with new vaccine passport regulations. Peace officers have handed out one, $200 ticket for failing to display signage around proof of vaccination requirements, and another $500 ticket for failing to check customers' proof of immunization. Source
  • San Marino legalizes abortion while Pope, women's groups disagree

    World News CTV News
    SAN MARINO -- Pope Francis repeated Monday that abortion is "murder," a day after the tiny republic of San Marino became the latest Catholic state to legalize the procedure, much to the cheers of women's rights groups. Source
  • Judge suspends probe into Lebanon port blast amid challenges

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- The lead judge investigating last year's massive blast in Beirut's port suspended his work in the case Monday after a former Cabinet minister demanded his dismissal. Judge Tarek Bitar, the second judge to lead the complicated and thorny investigation, canceled the questioning of a former military intelligence general, scheduled for Monday. Source
  • New Brunswick reports record 86 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, active cases rise to 650

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Health officials in New Brunswick are reporting a single-day record 86 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, along with 64 recoveries, as the total number of active cases in the province rises to 650. Source
  • Rescue effort underway for 39 miners trapped underground in Sudbury, Ont., since Sunday

    Canada News CBC News
    Thirty-nine Vale employees have been trapped underground in the Totten Mine in Sudbury, Ont., since Sunday, the company says. The workers are safe and are currently mobilizing to exit the mine via a secondary egress ladder system, the company said in a news release. Source
  • Man in Poland gets 25-year sentence for murder, cannibalism

    World News CTV News
    WARSAW, POLAND -- A court in Poland convicted a man on Monday of instigating a murder in 2002 and participating in subsequent cannibalism and handed him a 25-year prison term. The body of the victim was never found and his identity isn't known. Source
  • S.Korea's president hints at dog meat ban amid debate over animal rights

    World News CTV News
    South Korea's President Moon Jae-in said on Monday there might be a need to prohibit dog meat consumption amid debate over the controversial practice and growing awareness of animal rights. While no longer as common as before, dog meat is eaten mainly by older people and is served in some restaurants and can be bought at specific markets. Source