Ministers consult indigenous women on missing, murdered inquiry

Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett and Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu offered new details Wednesday about the possible design of the inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls, after their second closed-door meeting with families of victims.

See Full Article

The meeting, held in Thunder Bay, Ont., is one of at least nine scheduled for the pre-inquiry phase, which Bennett said she expects will wrap up by summer.

Among the things Hajdu said they learned at the emotional meeting was the importance of hearing from women who had “a near miss.”

Bennett, meanwhile, said she heard some families want the inquiry to stretch across international borders, where loved ones may have last been.

Bennett also said women had expressed concern that their personal safety will be protected if they come forward with stories.

On top of that, Bennett said she heard about the desire to involve police and child welfare agencies that are not under federal control.

One big challenge, according to Bennett, will be choosing an indigenous name for the commission that’s “inclusive not only of our First Nations sisters (but also) our Inuit and Metis sisters.”

Bennett added that with any “feminist exercise,” there is “always the question of who is not here that should be here,” and that some had suggested youth must be included.

Bennett suggested students may “help families take down their stories and make their submissions, in a way, as powerful as possible.”

Asked whether a commissioner had been chosen, Hajdu said they are still taking suggestions, and that that there may be more than one.

As for the timeline, Bennett said the government wants to balance “getting it right with a proper pre-inquiry consultation and getting on with the commission,” so that they can “put in place concrete actions to make it stop.”

Bennett added she hopes to have the pre-inquiry consultation wrapped up as early as Mother’s Day in May, adding, “I don’t think we should get to Canada Day without the important work of the commission beginning.”

A meeting has already been held in Ottawa, and there are meetings scheduled for the following cities:

  • Yellowknife, Northwest Territories: January 8, 2016
  • Whitehorse, Yukon: January 11, 2016
  • Vancouver, British Columbia: January 13, 2016
  • Prince George, British Columbia: January 15, 2016
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia: January 20, 2016
  • Québec City, Québec : January 21, 2016
  • Montréal, Québec : January 22, 2016

All Canadians are invited to participate in the pre-inquiry design process by filling out an online survey.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 'You are not a leader': RCMP corporal denounces Paulson's Moncton testimony

    Canada News CTV News
    An RCMP corporal who was a friend of three murdered Mounties is publicly condemning the commissioner's testimony last week as a clear failure of leadership. Commissioner Bob Paulson told the RCMP's Labour Code trial in the 2014 Moncton shootings that management had concerns over the possible militarization of the force as it prepared to arm officers with high-powered carbine rifles. Source
  • Who is Amor Ftouhi, Canadian accused in U.S. airport stabbing?

    Canada News CTV News
    Neighbours say the Canadian arrested for an attack at a Michigan airport is a friendly, quiet man who lives in a modest apartment in Montreal. Amor Ftouhi, 49, of Montreal, was arrested Wednesday at Bishop International Airport in Flint, Mich. Source
  • Sears Canada plans restructuring, files for creditor protection

    Canada News CBC News
    Shares in Sears Canada were halted Thursday morning after the retailer said it is seeking court protection from its creditors while it restructures. The company has asked the Ontario Superior Court for protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act — the law that covers insolvency proceedings. Source
  • 'I don't want you to get shooted': Child pleads to mother after Castile shooting

    World News CBC News
    In the moments after a Minnesota police officer fatally shot Philando Castile, his handcuffed girlfriend began screaming in the back of a patrol car as her four-year-old daughter begged her to stop. Squad car video from the July 2016 shooting shows Diamond Reynolds and her daughter in the cruiser, the Star Tribune reported Wednesday. Source
  • Bill Cosby trial: 2 holdouts refused to convict, says juror

    World News CBC News
    After 52 hours of tense deliberations, two holdouts in Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial refused to convict the 79-year-old comedian, a juror told ABC News. The juror, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said 10 of the 12 jurors agreed that Cosby was guilty on the first and third felony counts. Source
  • Doctors say racist rants not isolated incidents

    Canada News CTV News
    The incident this week of a mother in Mississauga, Ont. demanding that her son be examined by a “white doctor” is not an isolated incident, say several physicians, who want to see the policies about how to treat such patients made clearer. Source
  • Doctors say racist rants from patients not isolated incidents

    Canada News CTV News
    The incident this week of a mother in Mississauga, Ont. demanding that her son be examined by a “white doctor” is not an isolated incident, say several physicians, who want to see the policies about how to treat such patients made clearer. Source
  • Church of England apologizes, admits it 'colluded' with bishop to hide sexual abuse

    World News CBC News
    The Church of England "colluded" with and helped to hide the long-term sexual abuse of young men by one of its former bishops, the head of the church said Thursday. Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby apologized to the victims who spoke out and helped bring ex-bishop Peter Ball to justice as the church published a detailed report into how it handled the case. Source
  • 600 buildings in England also have 'combustible' cladding

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — Some 600 buildings in England could have been fitted with flammable external panels like the ones believed to have contributed to a fire that killed at least 79 people in a west London apartment building, Prime Minister Theresa May’s Downing Street office said. Source
  • London man died after mosque attack from 'multiple injuries'

    World News CBC News
    London police say 51-year-old man found dead after mosque attack last week died of "multiple injuries." The Metropolitan Police statement on Thursday is important because it had not been certain whether Makram Ali died of illness or as a result of the actions of a 47-year-old man who plowed a large van into a crowd of worshippers spilling out of two London mosques following Ramadan prayers. Source