Marco Muzzo to plead guilty in fatal collision case

Marco Muzzo’s lawyer has asked for a court appearance next month, at which point his client will plead guilty to various charges in connection with a crash that killed three children and their grandfather north of Toronto.

See Full Article

Muzzo’s lawyer, Brian Greenspan, submitted the request to a Superior Court judge in Newmarket, Ont. on Wednesday, after electing earlier in the day to be tried by a judge without a jury. Greenspan requested a court date of Feb. 4 to make a statement of facts and enter the guilty pleas.

The 29-year-old Muzzo faces 12 counts of impaired driving and six counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle related to the incident.

Greenspan said his client will plead guilty to multiple charges, adding that some charges are “redundant.” Certain charges against Muzzo are mutually exclusive, so some of the charges will disappear when he pleads guilty to others, Greenspan said. He added that Muzzo will not be entering any pleas of not guilty.

Greenspan also stressed that there will be no plea bargain, and that the defence and the Crown will submit different arguments at the sentencing hearing.

“This is not a plea deal. This is an acceptance of responsibility by Marco Muzzo,” Greenspan told reporters outside the courthouse, after submitting the request to the judge. “He wanted this matter to be closed as quickly as possible, and to move on with the plea and the acceptance of responsibility.”

Sentencing is expected to take place Feb. 23-24.

The Sept. 27 crash fatally wounded 9-year-old Daniel, 5-year-old Harrison (Harry) and 2-year-old Milagros (Milly) Neville-Lake. The children's 65-year-old grandfather Gary Neville also died as a result of the collision, and their grandmother and great-grandmother were injured.

Family reaction

The children’s parents, Jennifer Neville-Lake and Edward Lake, were present at the courthouse on Wednesday for Muzzo’s appearance.

Neville-Lake said her family is “cautiously optimistic” about Muzzo’s intent to plead guilty, but “we’re going to remain broken,” she said. Neville-Lake said she did not expect Wednesday’s development, and she is hesitant to believe it until the plea has been formally submitted next month.

“If it’s a guilty plea… then that acknowledges he’s the reason our children are dead,” Neville-Lake told reporters outside the courthouse, after the day’s events inside. She added that there is no “magic number” of years that she is hoping for at a potential sentencing hearing. “There is no sentence that he can ever do that is going to repay what he took from us,” she said. “He has one life. I’m missing my three children and my father – that’s four.”

Edward Lake spoke only briefly. “I feel lost. I feel destroyed,” he said.

Neville-Lake said her mother and grandmother are recovering physically from the crash, but both are dealing with memory loss.

Muzzo’s family owns a vast construction empire with operations in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Southwestern Ontario. Their construction company, Marel Contractors, is estimated to be worth more than $1 billion. They also own Pemberton Group, one of Toronto’s largest development companies, which has been in operation for more than 50 years.

Muzzo appeared in person at the courthouse Wednesday morning, and was there again on Wednesday afternoon.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Could you receive a missile text alert on your phone? In B.C., not yet

    Canada News CBC News
    It was a terrifying morning in Hawaii last Saturday when thousands of people woke up to TV broadcasts, radio messages and a text alert on their smartphones warning them of an incoming ballistic missile. Of course, it turned out to be a false alarm. Source
  • Woman known for sneaking onto planes arrested again in Chicago

    World News CTV News
    CHICAGO -- A woman with a history of sneaking aboard planes slipped past security at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport this week and was flying to London when the airline realized she didn't have a ticket. Source
  • Family of Toronto man who disappeared near Toronto's Gay Village 'want the details' of how he died

    Canada News CBC News
    Andrew Kinsman's family is still searching for answers a day after a Toronto man was charged with first-degree murder in his disappearance and that of another man near the city's Gay Village last spring. "I want the details. Source
  • Company investigating after wind turbine collapses in Chatham-Kent, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    CHATHAM-KENT, Ont. -- A Maryland-based renewable energy company is investigating after one of its wind turbines collapsed in southwestern Ontario. Chad Reed, a spokesman for Terraform Power, said it happened late Thursday or early Friday at the company's Raleigh project in Chatham-Kent. Source
  • Conservatives question pope's airborne, shotgun nuptials

    World News CTV News
    LIMA, Peru -- The honeymoon, as it were, is apparently over. A day after Pope Francis grabbed headlines by pronouncing two flight attendants man and wife while flying 36,000 feet over Chile, the conservative Catholic commentariat on Friday questioned the legitimacy of the shotgun sacrament and warned it could cheapen the church's marriage preparation down the line. Source
  • Hawaii Gov. knew missile alert was false 15 minutes before he told public

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU -- The Hawaii National Guard's top commander said Friday he told Gov. David Ige that a missile alert was a false alarm two minutes after it went out statewide. But the governor didn't tell the public until 15 minutes later. Source
  • Sikh man gets apology after a P.E.I. Legion told him to remove his turban

    Canada News CBC News
    A Sikh man says he was asked to remove his turban by staff at the Royal Canadian Legion in Tignish, P.E.I., on Wednesday night and along with his friend, was subject to racist remarks from patrons. Source
  • Quebec teen says smartphone rules are too tough in letter to school board

    Canada News CBC News
    A Quebec teen thinks his school's policy of seizing smartphones belonging to students caught using them in class goes too far. Vincent Duguay, 15, challenged his school's cellphone policy with a cease-and-desist letter sent to the local school board this week. Source
  • Timeline of Lac-Megantic events

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. -- Three men were found not guilty Friday in connection with the Lac-Megantic train disaster in July 2013. Here is a timeline of key moments related to the the derailment: JULY 6, 2013: An unattended train with five locomotives and more than 70 tank cars carrying crude oil rolls down an incline before coming off the tracks in Lac-Megantic, Que. Source
  • Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose, family says

    World News CBC News
    Tom Petty's family says an autopsy found his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose. (Chris Pizello/Associated Press) Tom Petty's family and the Los Angeles coroner say his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose. Source