Indigenous hunters say treaty rights being violated by Saskatchewan

WINNIPEG -- Indigenous hunters say they are being harassed and bullied by Saskatchewan authorities who don't understand their treaty right to provide food for their families.

See Full Article

The chief of Pine Creek First Nation said Wednesday that conservation officers raided two homes last month and confiscated moose meat harvested from Pine Creek's traditional territory, which crosses the Manitoba-Saskatchewan boundary.

Charlie Boucher said no charges have been laid, but his people are being denied their inherent right to feed their families. Indigenous people were hunting on the land long before Canada or its provinces existed, he said.

"The Creator gave me that authority to harvest and take," Boucher said. "I beg for us to be understood."

Grand Chief Derek Nepinak with the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said aboriginal hunters have been ticketed with non-compliance orders and harassed by farmers who feel the men have been trespassing for decades.

He said the two Pine Creek reserve homes were raided Dec. 15 -- the same day the Truth and Reconciliation Commission released its final report.

"This has to stop," he said. "This is an age of reconciliation."

Diabetes rates are soaring among First Nations, Nepinak said, yet his people are being denied access to traditional, healthy food. At the same time, Saskatchewan hands out thousands of moose tags to sport hunters every year, he added.

"The Saskatchewan government is actively encouraging people to take down 6,000 moose for sport hunting every year, but meanwhile they are out there harassing our hunters that come from the treaty territories."

Jamie Gibson, a spokesperson for Saskatchewan's Environment Ministry, said "we cannot comment on any part of the investigation at this time."

Christina Cook, lawyer for the indigenous hunters, said the case would be fairly straightforward if it were to go to court, given the way judges consider indigenous rights and that the hunters were within their traditional treaty territory.

"It's a clear and unjustified infringement by the province of Saskatchewan on these hunters' aboriginal and treaty rights."

Kevin Hart, Manitoba regional chief with the Assembly of First Nations, said he's disgusted by the "silent war" on the rights of his people. Hart said, as long as he can remember, he has hunted and gathered in various territories including Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.

At times, Hart said, he was accompanied by Manitoba deputy premier Eric Robinson.

"We've exercised our rights to hunt on the land," Hart said. "It's very disturbing in this day and age that our inherent and treaty rights are being infringed upon."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Lost children rescued after getting trapped overnight on B.C. mountain

    Canada News CTV News
    Two young children who spent the night stranded on Burke Mountain in Coquitlam, B.C., were brought to safety by rescue crews on Monday. Their injured father had been forced to leave them to find help. Source
  • 3 handwritten wills found in Aretha Franklin's home

    World News CBC News
    A lawyer says three handwritten wills have been found in the Detroit-area home of Aretha Franklin, months after her death — including one that was discovered under cushions in the living room. The latest one is dated March 2014 and appears to give the famous singer's assets to family members. Source
  • Architects of post-9-11 CIA interrogation program to testify

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Two former CIA contractors who designed the harsh interrogation program used after the Sept. 11 attacks are being summoned to testify before the military tribunal at the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Source
  • Ex-White House lawyer won't testify after Trump direction

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump directed his former White House Counsel Donald McGahn to defy a congressional subpoena Monday, citing a Justice Department legal opinion that maintains McGahn would have immunity from testifying about his work as a close Trump adviser. Source
  • Trump tells ex-counsel McGahn: Defy subpoena, don't testify

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump directed his former White House Counsel Don McGahn to defy a congressional subpoena Monday, citing a Justice Department legal opinion that maintains McGahn would have immunity from testifying about his work as a close Trump adviser. Source
  • U.S. warns companies of data threat from Chinese-made drones

    World News CBC News
    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned U.S. firms of the risks to company data from Chinese-made drones, according to a notice reviewed by Reuters on Monday. The notice, titled Chinese Manufactured Unmanned Aircraft Systems, warned that U.S. Source
  • Pediatrician indicted on 65 charges after rape accusation

    World News CTV News
    BALTIMORE -- A Maryland pediatrician accused recently of raping a patient has since been indicted on 65 additional charges, including nine counts of child sex abuse. Frederick County police and prosecutors say a grand jury has indicted Dr. Source
  • Judge rules Trump can't block subpoena of his financial records by Congress

    World News CBC News
    A federal judge in Washington has ruled against U.S. President Donald Trump in a financial records dispute with Congress. Judge Amit Mehta's ruling says Trump cannot block the House subpoena of his financial records. The decision is a setback for the Trump administration amid a widespread effort by the White House and the president's lawyers to refuse to co-operate with congressional requests for information and records. Source
  • Parents can use dead son's frozen sperm to attempt conception, judge rules

    World News CTV News
    WEST POINT, N.Y. -- The parents of a 21-year-old West Point cadet fatally injured in a skiing accident can use his frozen sperm to produce a child, a judge ruled while noting potential ethical considerations. Source
  • Venezuela's Maduro touts re-election anniversary amid political standoff

    World News CBC News
    Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday celebrated the anniversary of his disputed re-election amid a growing humanitarian crisis and political upheaval. Maduro tweeted that the May 20, 2018, election, was a "victory" for Venezuelans, though the opposition and many countries have derided it as unfair. Source