Marco Muzzo to be tried by judge only

A man accused of impaired driving will appear before a judge alone in Superior Court, in connection with a crash north of Toronto that claimed the lives of three children and their grandfather.

See Full Article

Marco Muzzo, 29, appeared in front of a federal judge briefly on Wednesday, where his lawyer announced that he had elected to be tried by a judge without a jury. The lawyer announced that they would appear before a Superior Court justice on Wednesday afternoon, at 2:15 p.m.

He said there is sufficient evidence that Muzzo can be committed to trial on all counts.

Criminal lawyer Boris Bytensky said the decision was a "formality," and does not mean the case will necessarily go to trial.

"This is a preliminary step to getting the matter placed before the Superior Court for a judge to hear the matter and for a plea to be entered," Bytensky told CTV Toronto.

"There's been lots of speculation that a plea deal is coming today. That still could happen, (but) it hasn't happened yet and might not happen."

Muzzo is facing several charges in connection with a crash in Vaughan, Ont., including impaired driving causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

The Sept. 27 crash fatally wounded 9-year-old Daniel, 5-year-old Harrison (Harry) and 2-year-old Milagros (Milly) Neville-Lake. The children's 65-year-old grandfather Gary Neville also died as a result of the collision, and their grandmother and great-grandmother were injured.

Muzzo appeared at a courthouse in Newmarket, Ont. shortly before 10 a.m. A short time later, CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry reported that the courtroom was so packed that nearly two dozen people had to stand.

Some people, including members of the media, were asked to give up their seats for the family of the children who died in the crash.

Before the hearing began, the Muzzo case was moved to a larger courtroom, Cherry reported. In the new courtroom, Muzzo's lawyer announced the decision to go before a Superior Court justice.

With files from CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry and Colin D'Mello



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Time is running out for Brexit trade deal, EU and Britain say

    World News CBC News
    Britain and the European Union cautioned each other on Monday that time was running out to reach a Brexit trade deal, with big differences still to be bridged on state aid, enforcement and fishing. The United Kingdom leaves the EU's orbit on Dec. Source
  • Ont. ice cream-maker recalls two flavours due to metal contamination concerns

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Kawartha Dairy has pulled two flavours of its popular ice cream over concerns there could be small pieces of metal in chocolate chips. The “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough” and “Mint Chip” flavours were voluntarily recalled last week by the Ontario company, which said the chocolate chips are provided by a supplier. Source
  • Moderna asking U.S., European regulators to OK its virus shots

    World News CBC News
    Moderna Inc. said it would ask U.S. and European regulators Monday to allow emergency use of its COVID-19 vaccine as new study results confirm the shots offer strong protection — ramping up the race to begin limited vaccinations as the coronavirus rampage worsens. Source
  • Wild winter, drastic swings in store for Canada this year: Weather Network

    Canada News CTV News
    A prominent Canadian forecaster says the country's residents could experience everything from winter wonderlands to spring-like spells in the months ahead. The Weather Network says cooler Pacific Ocean temperatures off the coast of South America, also known as "La Nina," will create a strong jet stream separating warm southern air masses from their colder northern counterparts. Source
  • Forensic psychiatrist to testify for defence at Toronto van attack trial

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The defence's star witness is set to testify today at the trial of the man who killed 10 people in Toronto's van attack. Dr. Alexander Westphal is expected to say Alek Minassian is not criminally responsible for his actions on April 23, 2018, due to autism spectrum disorder. Source
  • Thai protest leaders hear police charges of defaming king

    World News CTV News
    BANGKOK -- Five leaders of Thailand's pro-democracy movement reported to police Monday to acknowledge charges that they defamed the king, the most serious of many offences of which they stand accused. The five are part of the student-led movement that for several months has been campaigning for Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and his government to step down, the constitution to be amended to make it more democratic and the monarchy be reformed to make it more accountable. Source
  • Iran says Israel remotely killed military nuclear scientist

    World News CTV News
    TEHRAN, IRAN -- A top Iranian security official on Monday accused Israel of using "electronic devices" to remotely kill a scientist who founded the Islamic Republic's military nuclear program in the 2000s. Ali Shamkhani, the secretary of the country's Supreme National Security Council, made the comment at the funeral for Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, where Iran's defence minister separately vowed to continue the man's work "with more speed and more power. Source
  • N.S. lobster season delayed in one fishing area, but set to go ahead in another

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia's weather forecast has prompted a staggered start to Dumping Day -- the launch of Canada's largest and most lucrative lobster fishery. The federal Fisheries Department says fishers in Lobster Fishing Area 33 on the province's south shore can go ahead with dumping their traps this morning. Source
  • Uproar in France over proposed limits on filming police

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- French activists fear that a proposed new security law will deprive them of a potent weapon against abuse -- cellphone videos of police activity -- threatening their efforts to document possible cases of police brutality, especially in impoverished immigrant neighbourhoods. Source
  • Families say valued possessions still missing years after bank emptied their safety deposit boxes

    Canada News CBC News
    If there's one thing Sheila Levy-Bencheton took for granted, it's that the safety deposit box her father rented from a big bank was secure. That's until her dad passed away in 2017 at age 103. The Toronto woman went to TD Canada Trust to empty the box a few months later, and discovered the bank had already done it years ago — forcing it open by drilling the lock then emptying the contents. Source