Driver accused in Ont. crash that killed 4 pleads to appear in Superior Court

The man accused of impaired driving in a crash north of Toronto that claimed the lives of three children and their grandfather will appear before a Superior Court justice this afternoon.

See Full Article

This is a developing story. Previous version of story follows.

Marco Muzzo, 29, is facing several charges in connection with a crash in Vaughan, Ont., including impaired driving causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

The Sept. 27 crash fatally wounded 9-year-old Daniel, 5-year-old Harrison (Harry) and 2-year-old Milagros (Milly) Neville-Lake. The children's 65-year-old grandfather Gary Neville also died as a result of the collision, and their grandmother and great-grandmother were injured.

Muzzo appeared at a courthouse in Newmarket, Ont. shortly before 10 a.m. A short time later, CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry reported that the courtroom was so packed that nearly two dozen people had to stand.

Some people, including members of the media, were asked to give up their seats for the family of the children who died in the crash.

Before the hearing began, the Muzzo case was moved to a larger courtroom, Cherry reported. Along with the move, the accused is now sitting before a federal judge, rather than a provincial justice of the peace. No explanation has been given for the change so far.

Almost all cases in Canada start in provincial courts then may be appealed to the federal level.

Muzzo last appeared in court on Dec. 10 via video link, where he was told the hearing was put over until Jan. 6. He was told he would be required to attend Wednesday's hearing in person.

With files from CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry

Marco Muzzo now in courtroom. It's an absolute circus here. Never seen this many people trying to cram into this many seats.

— Tamara Cherry (@tamaracherry) January 6, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • New trial ordered for man in child bride case

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The British Columbia Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial for James Oler, who was acquitted of taking a 15-year-old girl across the border for a sexual purpose. The Crown appealed the verdict in the case of the former leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bountiful, B.C. Source
  • Ontario will move ahead with council cut despite city's court challenge

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - The Ontario government says it will move ahead with a plan to cut Toronto city council nearly in half despite local politicians deciding to mount a court challenge against the province over the issue. Source
  • Jury in Manafort trial: What if we can't agree on 1 count?

    World News CTV News
    ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- The jury in the financial fraud trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort asked the judge Tuesday what it should do if it cannot reach a consensus for a single count in the case. Source
  • Jurors in Paul Manafort trial struggle to reach consensus on 1 count

    World News CBC News
    Jurors in the fraud trial of Paul Manafort asked the judge Tuesday how to fill out a verdict form if they were unable to reach a consensus on one of the 18 counts faced by the former campaign chair for Donald Trump. Source
  • Jurors in Paul Manafort trial struggle reach consensus on one count

    World News CBC News
    Jurors in the fraud trial of Paul Manafort asked the judge Tuesday how to fill out a verdict form if they were unable to reach a consensus on one of the 18 counts faced by the former campaign chair for Donald Trump. Source
  • Scheer going to India to 'repair' relationship after 'disastrous' Trudeau trip

    Canada News CBC News
    Six months after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's foreign policy prowess was pummelled by a disorganized state visit to India, his chief opponent is heading to New Delhi to try to "repair and strengthen" Canada-India relations. Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer will take his team to India for nine days in October. Source
  • Truck driver charged in Humboldt Broncos crash sees case adjourned until October

    Canada News CTV News
    MELFORT, Sask. -- The case of a Calgary truck driver charged in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash has been adjourned until October. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who is 29, is charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily injury. Source
  • Case of truck driver charged in Humboldt Broncos crash adjourned until October

    Canada News CTV News
    MELFORT, Sask. -- The case of a truck driver charged in the fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash has been adjourned until October. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily injury. Source
  • Trump plan rolls back Obama-era regulations on power plants

    World News CBC News
    The Trump administration on Tuesday came out with new rules scaling back Obama-era constraints on coal-fired power plants, striking at one of the former administration's legacy programs to rein in climate-changing fossil-fuel emissions. The Environmental Protection Agency called the Obama-era regulations on coal power plants "overly prescriptive and burdensome. Source
  • Court adjourns case for accused in Humboldt Broncos crash

    Canada News CBC News
    The court case of the man facing 29 charges stemming from the Humboldt Broncos bus crash has been adjourned until this fall. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is charged with 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily injury. Source