Calgary property owners brace for tax assessments

The city of Calgary made its property assessments public Tuesday, and many homeowners want to know why, if the local economy is plunging, the perceived value of their homes isn't as well.

See Full Article

While Calgary homeowners wait to receive their property assessments in the mail, many residents like Ed Cocciardi, who lives in the Tuscany area of Calgary, have already checked online for their assessments.

Cocciardi said he was surprised when he saw his assessment.

"When I checked online, my house was far and above everybody else's, which it really shouldn't have been," he told CTV Calgary, explaining that he may file an appeal.

Nelson Karpa, an assessor with the city of Calgary, said the figures are based on the assessed value of homes on July 1, 2015.

"The way to think about it is, 'What would my property have sold for on July 1, 2015?'" he explained. "And that's really what we're trying to capture in the 2016 assessment notice."

But many residents point out that a lot has changed in the local economy in the last six months as the plunging price of oil has seen the price of homes in the area drop too.

Cocciardi said it's frustrating, because city residents already pay a lot in taxes.

"I think we pay well and enough taxes in Calgary already," he said.

The city says that current real estate values will be reflected in next summer's assessment.

Karpa said overall, the assessments are good news considering the state of the provincial economy.

"We saw a small number of extremely high value properties drop significantly, but the bulk of our assessment base – being moderately priced properties and lower value properties – actually maintain and slightly increase their value," he said.

The city said a typical family will see a one to two per cent drop in this year's assessment compared to last year. The biggest increase will be seen by those who own condos or industrial properties. The biggest decrease will be seen by those with high value homes and downtown office spaces.

With a report from CTV Calgary's Chris Epp



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Who can topple Trump? Dems' electability fight rages in Iowa

    World News CTV News
    DES MOINES, IOWA -- The urgent fight for the Democratic presidential nomination raged across Iowa on Sunday as the party's leading candidates scrambled to deliver closing arguments centred on the defining question of the 2020 primary: Who can beat U.S. Source
  • Rocket strikes dining facility at U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad

    World News CTV News
    One rocket hit a dining facility Sunday on the compound of the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, a U.S. official told CNN. The official said at this early stage there are reports of minor damage. Source
  • Iraq PM condemns rocket attack at U.S. Embassy in Baghdad

    World News CBC News
    Five Katyusha rockets crashed into a riverbank near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone without causing any injuries or serious damage, a statement from U.S. Joint Operations Command said. One rocket landed inside the embassy walls, an Iraqi security official said. Source
  • Rockets fired at U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraqi PM condemns attack

    World News CBC News
    Five Katyusha rockets crashed into a riverbank near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone without causing any injuries or serious damage, a statement from U.S. Joint Operations Command said. One rocket landed inside the embassy walls, an Iraqi security official said. Source
  • Where will Prince Harry and Meghan live? In B.C., hopes of becoming home

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A striking sight, the Royal Standard flaps against the dark skies and unrelenting rains of Vancouver. Monarchist Raymond Greenwood raised the Queen's banner atop his house just days ago to welcome Prince Harry and his wife Meghan after learning that the royal runaways were considering moving to his oceanside Kitsilano neighbourhood. Source
  • 2 more snowmobilers pulled from Lac Saint-Jean

    Canada News CBC News
    Quebec provincial police divers have located and retrieved the bodies of two more missing snowmobilers who were lost in the Lac Saint-Jean region after they broke through the ice during an expedition on Jan. 21. A group of eight French nationals, led by a guide, were trying to cross a snow-covered channel between the towns of Saint-Henri-de-Taillon and Alma on Tuesday night when the ice gave way. Source
  • Toronto Public Health says it's ready for infectious diseases like coronavirus

    Canada News CBC News
    With the confirmation of Canada's first case of the coronavirus in Toronto, health authorities are assuring the public the required systems are in place to keep people safe. Coun. Joe Cressy, chair of the Toronto Board of Health, says he has "full confidence" in the city's Medical Officer of Health and the Toronto Public Health team, and will continue to work closely with them to ensure the public remains protected and informed. Source
  • Who will share the Holocaust's horrors as its survivors disappear?

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- As the Holocaust fades further and further into the reaches of history, some surveys suggest it may be difficult to maintain the memory of one of humanity's greatest atrocities. Monday marks 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz, the most infamous of the Nazi death camps. Source
  • In China, people wonder how open government is being over coronavirus

    World News CBC News
    The 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) left 44 Canadians dead, but it wasn't documented on social media. That's because Facebook, Twitter and YouTube didn't exist back then. "Social media adds a whole new layer to all of this messaging that's out there that I didn't have to deal with when I was reporting on SARS," Maureen Taylor said today on The Weekly with Wendy Mesley. Source
  • Quebec Court of Appeal to hear Alexandre Bissonnette appeals on Monday

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's high court will hear arguments Monday as to whether the length of the sentence handed down to convicted Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette should be changed. Nearly three years after the massacre that claimed six lives at the Islamic Cultural Centre in the provincial capital, lawyers will argue the matter before the Quebec Court of Appeal. Source