Anger grows over children caught in no-fly lists

Six-year-old Canadian Syed Adam Ahmed garnered national attention when he needed special security clearance to fly to Boston for the NHL Winter Classic -- but he’s far from the only child to be mistakenly caught in a “no-fly list.

See Full Article

Sheldon Ali says his son, Naseer Muhammad, was held up before flying for the first time when he was only 10 weeks old.

"We know it is going to happen every time," said Ali.

Repeated incidents have led Ali to believe that his son has been targeted because of his religion and ethnic background.

"My son's name is Muslim. We are Muslim. So it leaves me to believe (that) this is a form of racial profiling," he said.

Likewise, Syed Ayden Hussain was only 19-months old when he and his father, also named Syed, were held by border agents during a trip to the United States, only to be later released with no explanation.

"We had to submit our fingerprints ... they did retinal scans and took pictures of us," said his father, Syed Hussain.

Zamir Khan's son, Sebastian, was only six weeks old when he faced similar treatment before boarding a flight.

Khan said that he asked the Canadian government to intervene, but they said they could only offer assistance if his son was barred from the flight.

"I was informed that as long as he was only delayed by this, and not actually denied boarding, they can't help us," he said.

Following the incident involving Ahmed, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale promised to investigate the issue. He said the Liberal government pledged to review issues relating to "no-fly lists," as part of a broader plan to repeal the "problematic elements" of the previous government's anti-terrorism law, Bill C-51 -- which the Liberals supported.

However, Muslim groups are looking for concrete steps to improve the process and prevent the wrong names from landing -- and staying -- on the list.

"There has to be due process … before a person is listed," said Khalid Elgazzar, lawyer and vice-chair of the National Council of Canadian Muslims.

David Lyons, a professor of surveillance studies at Queen’s University, told CTV News earlier this week that there is "great secrecy" concerning the make-up up of no-fly lists, as well as their creation.

And some security experts argue that they repeatedly victimize innocent people.

"The burden of proving your innocence falls on the person who has been deemed guilty, and they have no idea why," said Emily Gilbert, a security expert and professor at the University of Toronto.

With a report by CTV’s Peter Akman



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ontario man in U.S. custody faces more child sex exploitation charges in Canada

    Canada News CTV News
    MARKHAM, Ont. -- Ontario Provincial Police say a Canadian man charged in the U.S. after allegedly flying to Atlanta in an attempt to have sex with an underage girl he met online will face further charges in Canada. Source
  • Minor clashes as Trump protesters flood downtown Phoenix

    World News CBC News
    Protesters got into minor scuffles and shouting matches with U.S. President Donald Trump supporters on Tuesday as hundreds of people lined up to get inside a Phoenix, Ariz., rally that marks his first political event since the violence in Charlottesville, Va. Source
  • Charlottesville votes to cover Confederate statues

    World News Toronto Sun
    The Charlottesville City Council voted to drape two Confederate statues in black fabric during a chaotic meeting packed with irate residents who screamed and cursed at councillors over the city’s response to a white nationalist rally. The anger at Monday night’s meeting, during which three people were arrested, forced the council to abandon its agenda and focus instead on the tragedy. Source
  • Russia says European leaders support truce in east Ukraine

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- The Kremlin says the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France have spoken in support of a new attempt to secure a lasting cease-fire for eastern Ukraine. The Kremlin says in a statement that Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia, Petro Poroshenko of Ukraine and Emmanuel Macron of France and German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke in a conference call Tuesday and welcomed a plan to try to ensure a lasting cease-fire timed to the beginning of the new school year. Source
  • Heritage status doesn't mean Glen Abbey golf course can't be built over: expert

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Ontario town voted this week to designate one of Canada's most famous golf courses a heritage site, but one expert says the status doesn't necessarily protect Glen Abbey's greens from being turned into a housing development. Source
  • Ottawa under tornado watch as city hit by hail, intense winds

    Canada News CTV News
    A tornado watch is in effect for Ottawa and surrounding communities as heavy rain, intense winds and hail pummeled the capital city on Tuesday. Environment Canada issued the tornado watch and thunderstorm warning for Ottawa north, Ottawa south, Kanata, Orleans, Richmond and Metcalfe. Source
  • Severe storm batters southeastern Ontario; tornado watch ends

    Canada News CTV News
    A tornado watch has ended after a major storm pounded Ottawa and parts of Quebec with heavy rain, intense winds and hail. Residents in the Niagara region are still being warned of a severe thunderstorm that can produce large hail, damaging wind gusts and “torrential downpours. Source
  • Missouri governor halts man’s execution after DNA questions

    World News Toronto Sun
    ST. LOUIS — Attorneys for a Missouri inmate scheduled for execution Tuesday warn that the state is preparing to execute a potentially innocent man. Marcellus Williams, 48, was convicted of fatally stabbing former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Lisha Gayle during a 1998 robbery at her home in the suburb of University City. Source
  • White House renews request for privacy for Trump's young son

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The White House on Tuesday renewed its request to the news media for privacy for U.S. President Donald Trump's young son, Barron, after a conservative news and opinion website criticized the casual attire he wore home after the family's summer vacation. Source
  • Lexus-only parking reversal: Calgary airport apologizes after replacing accessible spots for luxury car owners

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Calgary International Airport has apologized for moving parking stalls reserved for those with disabilities and setting up a Lexus marketing campaign in their place. The pavement in the parking spots close to the terminal had recently been painted to indicate they were reserved for drivers of the luxury car. Source