Crown trying to 'criminalize' cop's judgement, Forcillo's lawyer tells jury

TORONTO -- The lawyer for a Toronto police officer on trial for killing a teen on an empty streetcar is asking a jury to acquit the man, saying the prosecution in the case is trying to "criminalize a judgement call" made by a first responder.

See Full Article

Const. James Forcillo has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and attempted murder in the death of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim.

Forcillo's lawyer, Peter Brauti, says the case needs to be decided not out of sympathy for any party, but on the evidence heard at trial.

The jury has heard that on a night in July 2013, Yatim had taken the drug ecstasy before boarding a streetcar where he pulled out a small knife.

After panicked passengers rushed off the vehicle, videos and audio played at the trial have shown that Forcillo arrived on the scene, yelled repeatedly at Yatim to drop the knife and fired nine bullets at the teen after a 50-second confrontation.

Crown prosecutors argue Forcillo's actions were not necessary or reasonable. Brauti contends the officer's actions were justified and carried out in self-defence.

"To be clear, no one likes the end result in this case," said Brauti.

"There can be no doubt that while Mr. Yatim may not have been a perfect young man, he is missed by his family. The answer in this case is not to take officer Forcillo away from his family. That is not justice."

Brauti accused Crown prosecutors of trying to "cloud the big picture" in the case by engaging in a frame-by-frame microanalysis of Forcillo's confrontation with Yatim, along with suggestions of alternative-use-of-force options the officer could have used.

"What's important to understand is it is Mr. Yatim's outward behaviour that results in him being shot," Brauti told the jury. "If he obeys any one of the dozen commands given, if he puts down the knife, Mr. Yatim lives to be put on trial for criminal conduct and we would not be here today."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Condemned church shooter Roof seeks appellate court mercy

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBIA, S.C. - A white supremacist sentenced to death for killing nine worshippers in a racist attack at a Charleston church has petitioned an appeals court for mercy. Attorneys for Dylann Roof filed notice Tuesday they were appealing his conviction and sentence to the 4th U.S. Source
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned over Trump campaign Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…
  • Newfoundland and Labrador joins 10-digit phone number club

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- One of Canada's last bastions of local seven-digit dialing will soon be no more. People in Newfoundland and Labrador were warned today that local 10-digit dialing -- including the area code and the phone number -- will begin on Aug. Source
  • 'Moved by the tremor of the explosion': Witness describes chaos

    World News CTV News
    Hoping to beat the post-concert traffic, Isabel Baldwin and her sister decided to leave Ariana Grande’s Manchester show while the singer was still on stage, performing an encore. Their early departure may have saved their lives. Source
  • LIVE BLOG: Carbine rifles were a 'high priority' for RCMP, Moncton massacre trial told

    Canada News CTV News
    MONCTON, N.B. -- A top Mountie has testified at the national police force's Labour Code trial stemming from a 2014 shooting rampage in Moncton, N.B., that the carbine rifle program was a "high priority" for the RCMP. Source
  • Passenger took cocaine before disrupting flight, lawyer says

    Canada News CTV News
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- An attorney says a Canadian man took cocaine before boarding a flight where he allegedly attacked the crew with coffee pots and tried to open a cabin door. The Orlando Sentinel reports that 34-year-old Brandon Michael Courneyea appeared Monday in Orlando federal court. Source
  • 'Fear-mongering': Red Deer high school braces for anti-immigrant protest after school fight fuels vitriol

    Canada News CBC News
    RCMP officers will stand guard outside a high school in Red Deer, Alta., Tuesday morning after a fight last week involving students from Syria prompted calls for an anti-immigration protest outside the school. "I would like to assure that our sons and daughters will be safe [Tuesday ] at school," Dan Lower, principal of Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School, said in a letter sent to parents Monday. Source
  • Saffie Roussos, 8, among 22 killed by suicide bomber at Ariana Grande show in Manchester [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    British authorities say an 8-year-old girl, Saffie Roussos, was among the 22 who died in the Manchester bombing. Medical officials say 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England. Source
  • Passenger took cocaine before disrupting flight: lawyer

    Canada News CBC News
    Ont. man arrested after allegedly assaulting flight crew (Courtesy Nicole Golubok). An attorney says a Canadian man took cocaine before boarding a flight where he allegedly attacked the crew with coffee pots and tried to open a cabin door. Source
  • Toronto police invited to march in uniform in New York City pride parade

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have received an invitation to participate in uniform at the New York City Pride March next month. The invitation, in a letter sent last Friday, comes amid a controversy over the exclusion of uniformed officers from Toronto's Pride Parade. Source