Jury urged to find Melonie Biddersingh drowned in unclear circumstances

TORONTO -- The defence at a trial involving the death of a teenage girl whose body was found stuffed in a burning suitcase is urging jurors to accept forensic evidence that she drowned.

See Full Article

Lawyer Jennifer Penman tells the Toronto jury there is no evidence as to how Melonie Biddersingh drowned.

Given the uncertainty, Penman says jurors must acquit her father, Everton Biddersingh, 60, of first-degree murder.

Court has heard from the stepmother and brother about the terrible abuse 17-year-old Biddersingh endured before her death.

Penman says convicting her father on the basis of what she termed their self-serving testimony would be dangerous.

The defence called no witnesses and Biddersingh didn't take the stand in his own defence.

He has pleaded not guilty in the death of his daughter, whose charred body was found 21 years ago. It would be almost two decades before police were able to lay charges.

The Crown argues the teen died Sept. 1, 1994, essentially starved to death.

The trial has previously heard that the teen was confined for hours in a tiny closet, had her head placed in a toilet that was flushed, was chained to the furniture at times, was denied food and was kicked, punched and thrown against walls by her father.

After she died, the Crown has said, Biddersingh crammed his daughter into a suitcase, drove her to a remote area and set her on fire.

"The tragedy of this young woman's death may easily overwhelm our imaginations," Penman said in her closing argument. "A lot of terrible things went on in that apartment."

Penman said her weakened state might have been a factor in her death.

"That is not the same thing as saying starvation was the cause of death," the lawyer said.

Biddersingh's wife, Elaine, whom the defence said "hated" the teen, faces her own murder trial in April.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec police looking for missing 17-year-old girl

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in Quebec are appealing to the public for help in locating a 17-year-old girl who has been missing for two days. Laval police said Kelly Martin Nolet was last seen leaving for work on Thursday, but she never showed up. Source
  • Montreal man convicted of manslaughter for killing wife who had Alzheimer's

    Canada News CBC News
    A jury has opted for the lesser of two possible verdicts suggested by a judge, finding Montrealer Michel Cadotte guilty of manslaughter for the 2017 death of his ailing wife. The jurors began their deliberations on Feb. Source
  • At least 20 killed in vehicle accident at China mine

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- State media report at least 20 people were killed and 30 injured in a vehicle accident at a mine in northern China blamed on faulty brakes. The Xinhua News Agency says the accident occurred Saturday morning at a lead, zinc and silver mine operated by the Yinman Mining Company in the sprawling inner Mongolia region. Source
  • Explosions, delays mark Nigeria's presidential election

    World News CBC News
    Gunfire and explosions opened the voting in Nigeria's delayed election on Saturday as President Muhammadu Buhari sought a second term. The vote, widely seen as too close to call, also was marred by hours-long delays at polling stations across the West African country. Source
  • Hundreds gather at celebration of life for former MP Paul Dewar

    Canada News CBC News
    Hundreds of people are filling an Ottawa church to say their final goodbyes to former MP Paul Dewar. Dewar, who represented the riding of Ottawa-Centre for almost a decade, died earlier this month from brain cancer. He was 56. Source
  • 'Tears of sadness for a life too short': Former MP Paul Dewar remembered at memorial service

    Canada News CBC News
    Hundreds of people filled an Ottawa church to capacity on Saturday to say their final goodbyes to former MP Paul Dewar. Dewar, who represented the riding of Ottawa-Centre for almost a decade, died earlier this month from brain cancer. Source
  • As U.S. plans in Syria shift, Canada tries to plan for own forces in Iraq

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The commander of Canada's special forces says officials are watching closely to see what impact U.S. plans to withdraw hundreds of soldiers from Syria could have on Canada's mission in neighbouring Iraq. In an interview with The Canadian Press, Maj. Source
  • Vietnam issues traffic ban for Kim's possible arrival route

    World News CTV News
    HANOI, Vietnam -- Vietnam has announced an unprecedented traffic ban along a possible arrival route of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ahead of his second summit with President Donald Trump in Hanoi next week, state media reported. Source
  • Train possibly taking Kim Jong Un to summit enters China

    World News CTV News
    DANDONG, China -- A train similar to one used in the past by Kim Jong Un entered China on Saturday evening, possibly carrying the North Korean leader on a multiday journey to Vietnam's capital for his summit with U.S. Source
  • 3 Venezuelan soldiers desert post amid border tensions

    World News CBC News
    Three members of the Venezuelan national guard deserted their posts early on Saturday, Colombia's migration agency said, ahead of a planned opposition-led effort to bring aid into the economically devastated county. The soldiers have asked for help from the agency, it said. Source