'A wonderful family': Friends mourn four killed in Sask. crash

Friends are grieving the loss of a Saskatoon family, after a two-car collision claimed the lives of a couple and their two young children.

See Full Article

Jordan Van de Vorst, 34, and his wife, Chanda Van de Vorst, 33, were pronounced dead at the scene of the crash early Sunday.

The couple's two-year-old son, Miguire, died later in hospital, and police confirmed Monday that their five-year-old daughter, Kamryn had also died.

A 49-year-old woman was taken to hospital and released. She has been charged with three counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing death, and is expected to face a fourth charge of impaired driving causing death.

'A wonderful family'

Family friend Colin Chatfield said those who knew the Van de Vorsts are stunned by their sudden deaths.

"The family was a wonderful family," he told CTV Saskatoon. "This is a big loss for us."

Jordan Van de Vorst was a microbiologist who had a passion for photography. He was part of a group of amateur photographers who often went out together to shoot on location.

In fact, he and his family celebrated New Year's Eve by heading outdoors to take photos of the northern lights.

"Jordan loved his family," Chatfield added. "He was a family man, and always talked about his kids and his wife."

Calls made to improve intersection safety

The RCMP says it appears that the Van de Vorsts were travelling westbound on Highway 11, when their vehicle was struck by an SUV that was trying to cross the highway on Wanuskewin Road.

The intersection, located north of Saskatoon, has been the scene of at least three deaths in the past six years.

Trevor Peterson, a councillor for the city of Warman, says he travels this stretch of the highway every day. He wants a barricade to be put up to prevent cars from crossing all four lanes of traffic.

"There is just no need whatsoever, other than for convenience, to have people crossing four lanes," he told CTV Saskatoon.

The province says it has made safety improvements at the intersection over the years, including dedicated turning lanes, signage and increased lighting.

It says that, whenever there's a death on a provincial highway, it conducts a review to see if any other safety improvements are needed.

Catherine Loye McKay, 49, of Saskatoon made a brief court appearance on Monday. She's expected back in court for a bail hearing on Thursday.

With a report from CTV News' Winnipeg Bureau Chief Jill Macyshon and CTV Saskatoon's Angelina Irinici



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Crowds protest against anti-black racism, police impunity in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    Protests form across U.S. demanding end to police violence Crowds protest against anti-black racism, police impunity in Montreal Source
  • Tornado warning called in southern Alberta, meteorologists track storm

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Officials say a tornado alert has been issued in southern Alberta, and a funnel cloud was spotted near Airdrie Sunday afternoon. Environment Canada called a severe thunderstorm bulletin for the area earlier in the day. Source
  • Ottawa pledges millions to promote tourism within Canada amid COVID-19 pandemic

    Canada News CBC News
    Ottawa is earmarking millions of dollars to promote holiday travel inside Canada as it seeks to help the tourism industry weather the COVID-19 pandemic. The funds announced by Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly on Sunday include $30 million originally intended to attract foreign visitors through the federal tourism marketing agency, Destination Canada. Source
  • 'I didn’t have a voice': Former NHL player Akim Aliu discusses racial divides in hockey

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Former NHL forward Akim Aliu is calling on the league to do more to end the racism that “permeates the culture of hockey” as protests fueled by rage over police mistreatment of African Americans flares in the U.S. Source
  • 85 migrant workers test positive in latest Ontario farm outbreak

    Canada News CBC News
    A farm operation in Norfolk County, south of Simcoe, is the latest agricultural facility in Ontario to declare a COVID-19 outbreak after 85 migrant workers tested positive for the virus. The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit said Sunday that five workers have been hospitalized and approximately 25 others who tested positive are showing symptoms of the virus. Source
  • 'No justice, no peace': Protests resume in NYC for fourth day

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials were looking for a peaceful way forward as the city entered a fourth day of protests against police brutality that have left police cars burned and led to the arrest of hundreds of people. Source
  • 'No justice, no peace': Protests resume in New York for fourth day

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials were looking for a peaceful way forward as the city entered a fourth day of protests against police brutality that have left police cars burned and led to the arrest of hundreds of people. Source
  • Season's first tropical storm drenches part of Central America

    World News CTV News
    SAN SALVADOR, EL SALVADOR -- The first tropical storm of the Eastern Pacific season drenched parts of Central America on Sunday and officials in El Salvador said at least seven people had died in flooding. President Nayib Bukele decreed a 15-day state of emergency to deal with the rains that began pounding the country on Friday ahead of Tropical Storm Amanda's landfall on Sunday. Source
  • Notre Dame forecourt opens to public after long cleanup

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Notre Dame Cathedral's forecourt is being opened up to the public for the first time since the devastating fire of April 15 last year. The body overseeing the Gothic structure's restoration issued a statement Sunday saying that the reopening was finally made possible after several deep clean operations took place to remove toxic lead dust from the large forecourt. Source
  • Dispatches from Yosemite: Alone with the bears and beauty

    World News CTV News
    The glacier-carved valleys of Yosemite National Park have been closed to the public for nearly three months and a few dozen lucky kids have had it mostly to themselves. Locked down amid cascading waterfalls and giant sequoias, the kids and their families have passed afternoons hiking empty trails, rafting in the river and walking with wildlife now thriving in the near absence of humans. Source