Defence to make closing arguments in Toronto 'suitcase' murder trial

TORONTO - The defence makes its closing arguments to a Toronto jury today at the first-degree murder trial of a man accused of killing his teenage daughter and leaving her body in a burning suitcase.

See Full Article

Everton Biddersingh has pleaded not guilty in the death of 17-year-old Melonie, whose charred body was found 21 years ago.

Crown prosecutor Mary Humphrey on Monday urged the jury to find Biddersingh guilty, saying his "reign of terror" reduced his daughter from a happy, healthy child to a starved, emotionally broken teen, ultimately killing her.

The case has taken two decades to get to trial because police weren't able to identify Melonie's remains until they received a tip that eventually led to the arrest of Biddersingh and his wife in March 2012.

The trial has heard that Melonie came to Canada from Jamaica with two brothers in 1991, when she was 13, to live with her father and stepmother.

Jurors have heard that the girl - who hoped to one day become a nurse - was not sent to school and suffered brutal beatings, food deprivation and gut-wrenching abuse at the hands of her father.

Melonie was treated like a slave, Humphrey said in her closing arguments, and was "withering away" before her father's eyes but he did not stop mistreating her.

"Everton took away everything from Melonie," she said. "He took away her will to live."

Over the course of many months, Melonie was confined for hours in a tiny closet, had her head placed in a toilet that was flushed, was chained to the furniture at times, was denied food and was kicked, punched and thrown against walls by her father, the trial has heard.

Melonie wasn't taken to the hospital as her health deteriorated - despite her obviously frail body and the fact that she had trouble moving - because Biddersingh didn't want anyone to detect that the girl had been abused, Humphrey said.

While the exact cause of Melonie's death is debatable - there are suggestions she may have drowned or merely starved to death - Humphrey told the jury there was no doubt that Biddersingh's "planned and deliberate" actions caused his daughter to die.

After Melonie's death, Humphrey told the jury, Biddersingh crammed his daughter into a suitcase, drove her to a remote area and set her on fire.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Presidential inaugural committee 'blatantly' enriched Trump family: D.C. attorney general

    World News CBC News
    The District of Columbia is suing U.S. President Donald Trump's inaugural committee and two companies that control the Trump International Hotel in the nation's capital, accusing them of throwing parties for the Trump family with non-profit funds, and overpaying for event space at the hotel. Source
  • Survivor recounts confused, chaotic cult rite that killed 7

    World News CTV News
    SANTIAGO, PANAMA -- A survivor of the cult ceremony that killed her daughter and six other people in a remote village in Panama says she was ordered to close her eyes, was beaten and knocked unconscious during the ritual. Source
  • Former soldier, alleged neo-Nazi Patrik Mathews denied bail in U.S.

    Canada News CTV News
    GREENBELT, MD. -- Former Canadian army reservist and accused white supremacist Patrik Mathews was denied bail following an appearance this morning in a U.S. court. Mathews and two other men were arrested last week after the former combat engineer disappeared from his residence in Manitoba amid allegations he was a recruiter for a white-supremacist called The Base. Source
  • Man wins new sex assault trial over poor Swahili-English translation

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife has won a new trial because of problems with the Swahili interpreter he was provided. In overturning his conviction, an Ontario Superior Court justice found the interpreter's incompetence and the trial judge's failure to address the situation breached the man's charter rights. Source
  • Unprovoked shark attacks drop worldwide, but not in the U.S.

    World News CTV News
    GAINESVILLE, FLA. -- Unprovoked shark attacks around the world decreased last year, although they rose in the United States, according to researchers. There were 64 confirmed unprovoked shark attacks worldwide last year, compared to the most recent five-year-average of 82 unprovoked attacks, according to researchers with the International Shark Attack File. Source
  • Worker in Ohio dies after falling into vat of acid, officials investigate

    World News CTV News
    DAYTON, OHIO -- A worker fell into a chemical vat at a business in Ohio and died, authorities said. Dana Swisher, 60, of Union, fell into the vat at Techmetals Inc. on Tuesday, Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Source
  • UN experts: Jeff Bezos phone hack shows link to Saudi prince

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES -- The phone of Amazon billionaire and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos was hacked after receiving a file sent from an account used by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, United Nations experts alleged Wednesday. Source
  • Justice minister calls for tougher penalties to address 'crime crisis' in rural Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta’s Justice Minister is expected to focus in on rural crime in a meeting with his provincial, territorial and federal counterparts in Victoria, B.C. Wednesday. In a letter sent to federal Justice Minister & Attorney General David Lametti in December, Doug Schweitzer wants to see amendments to the criminal code to tackle “skyrocketing” crime rates in many of Alberta’s rural communities. Source
  • Indigenous pipeline supporters slam human-rights advocates over Coastal GasLink stance

    Canada News CBC News
    A collective of First Nations who support the liquefied natural gas industry in British Columbia say human rights advocates failed to do their research when they called for the Coastal GasLink pipeline project to be halted. The First Nations LNG Alliance has issued open letters to the B.C. Source
  • Attacking coyote that was strangled by victim had rabies

    World News CTV News
    CONCORD, N.H. -- A coyote that was strangled by a man after attacking his child had rabies, and it may not be the only one, according to the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. Police said they believe the coyote attacked a vehicle on a road in Hampton Falls, bit a 62-year-old woman and her dogs on a porch in Kensington and then attacked a family walking on a trail in Exeter on Monday. Source