Do angry Uber users have a case against 'surge pricing'?

A couple of Montreal-area women are so upset about the cost of New Year’s Uber rides that they say they are considering legal action.

See Full Article

CTV Edmonton reported Sunday on Matthew Lindsey’s $1,115 charge for a 60-minute ride that covered 63 kilometres. It was the result of a “surge pricing” multiplier of 8.9 times was added to his $125 base fare. (The company has since refunded half of the money.)

Lindsay wasn’t the only one shocked by an Uber charge after a New Year’s celebration.

Catherine Pap wrote on Facebook that her first Uber ride, taken on Jan. 1, cost $97. That was about three times what she expected to pay, and she’s looking for other people who might want to join a possible class action lawsuit.

Cassandra Zakaib said she likes the idea of going after the company. Her New Year’s Day ride in Montreal cost $320, minus a 25 per cent refund she got after complaining.

“I really think that, together, this public outcry should be heard,” Zakaib said.

Veronica Iafrancesco, who said she and a fellow passenger were charged $625 for a 40-kilometre cab ride in Montreal, was also upset by her bill. “We might have well just rented a room or something,” she said.

Although Uber rides often cost less than taxi trips, the company’s “surge” pricing can lead to big bills when drivers are busy.

Surge pricing kicks in when the number of available cars falls below a certain threshold. Once the surge starts, the app warns users that the normal rate will be multiplied by a certain amount.

Users who don’t accept the surge pricing can opt to be notified when “surge” prices end and the fares return to normal.

Not only are users warned in the app, but the company sent out an email on New Year’s Eve reminding them that prices would be higher than usual.

“To avoid the highest fares, catch a ride just after midnight or have your app notify you when Surge Pricing drops,” the email said.

Uber issued a statement defending its surge pricing, adding it helps ensure “you can always push a button and get a ride within minutes -- even on the busiest night of the year.”

Surge pricing also led to some eye-popping bills over Halloween weekend in Toronto, when four women who were driven from a downtown nightclub to a Toronto suburb faced a $446 charge.

With a report from CTV Montreal



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Lawyer for accused in Amber Alert case doesn't think man would have known kid was in SUV

    Canada News CTV News
    NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. -- A legal aid lawyer for a Saskatchewan man charged in a case that sparked an Amber Alert earlier this month says he doesn't believe the accused would deliberately abduct a child. Source
  • UN rushes aid to hunger-stricken Yemeni district

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- The United Nations and individual donors are rushing food to a desperate corner of northern Yemen where starving villagers were found to be living off leaves. Aid officials are searching for ways to ensure aid reaches those in need amid alarm that the country's hunger crisis is worsening beyond the relief effort's already strained capabilities. Source
  • Quebec man sentenced to prison in New York for marijuana smuggling

    Canada News CTV News
    ALBANY, N.Y. -- A 41-year old Canadian man has been sentenced to more than 11 years in prison for conspiring to smuggle thousands of pounds of marijuana into the United States through the Akwesasne Mohawk Indian Reservation in northern New York. Source
  • Caregiver charged with attempted murder in newborn stabbings

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A 52-year-old caregiver was charged in the knife attack on five people, including three newborn babies, at a home that was apparently being used as an unlicensed nursery for new mothers and their children. Source
  • Could legislation give air travellers more legroom?

    Canada News CTV News
    Some Canadians are hoping the federal government will follow the lead of U.S. lawmakers who want to require a minimum amount of legroom on airplanes. A bill currently working its way through Congress would give the U.S. Source
  • New York Review of Books admits to 'failures' in handling of Ghomeshi essay

    Canada News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The New York Review of Books is acknowledging its "failures in the presentation and editing" of a much-maligned essay by disgraced former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. A statement released by the esteemed literary outlet says Ghomeshi's piece, "Reflections from a Hashtag," was shown to only one male editor and that most members of the staff were excluded from the editorial process. Source
  • 3rd tornado confirmed to have hit eastern Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    Environment Canada has confirmed that a third tornado touched down in Calabogie, Ont., on Friday, the same day that two other twisters tore through Ottawa-Gatineau. The tornado touched down shortly after 4:15 p.m. and tracked roughly 15 kilometres east to White Lake, the weather agency said. Source
  • Kavanaugh says he won't let 'false accusations' push him out

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh declared in a televised interview Monday that he never sexually assaulted anyone in high school or at any other time in his life. Kavanaugh and his wife, Ashley, sat down for an interview with Fox News Channel's "The Story with Martha MacCallum" after a second woman accused him of sexual misconduct. Source
  • Volunteers share skills and supplies with Ottawa region storm victims

    Canada News CBC News
    Talented carpenters, arborists, cooks, drivers, therapists and babysitters are offering their services and supplies to those affected by the tornadoes that struck the Ottawa-Gatineau region on Sept. 21. Eli El-Chantiry, the city councillor for the Dunrobin area, said it was a pleasant surprise Monday morning when about 70 volunteers showed up at the West Carleton Secondary School to help out. Source
  • Killer nurse 'cried for help,' surviving victim tells inquiry

    Canada News CTV News
    A woman who was nearly killed by an Ontario nurse who murdered eight people gave an emotional statement at a public inquiry Monday in St. Thomas, Ont. Beverly Bertram, who survived one of Elizabeth Wettlaufer's attacks in August 2016, said that more attention needs to be paid not only to those in care, but also to people like Wettlaufer. Source