Fundraiser set up for B.C. twin sisters injured in vicious dog attack

A GoFundMe page has been set up for twin sisters in Richmond, B.C., who were viciously attacked by their family dog this week.

See Full Article

Twenty-one-year-old Jessi and Kati Mather, along with Jessi’s three-year-old son, were walking the dog Wednesday when it attacked.

Jessi’s son was unharmed, but the Rottweiler-husky cross bit Kati Mather 100 times, and her sister was also seriously injured.

They were finally released from hospital Friday. The GoFundMe campaign is hoping to raise $2,000 for the sisters as they recover from their injuries.

Ally Gomez, a friend of the sisters, set up the GoFundMe page and hopes to raise $2,000 for the victims to help them recover.

Gomez said the sisters got the dog when he was seven weeks old, and had him for three years before Wednesday’s attack.

“The dog had been pulling, trying to get away from them I guess,” she said. “They were just casually walking the dog. (One of the sisters) tugged at him a little bit, he turned around and just attacked them.”

Gomez said the sisters are in shock over the attack, and felt like “they were being ripped apart like a chew toy.”

Retired letter carrier Ken Brodie, 73, witnessed the attack and was also bitten while attempting to pull the dog from one of the victims.

“She was lying down on the ground and the dog just kept on coming at her, just ripping, ripping,” he said.

A police officer arrived and shot the dog, which survived and was sent to a city shelter, where authorities will decide whether to euthanize it.

With a report from CTV Vancouver’s Jon Woodward



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Murray Sinclair to retire from Senate

    Canada News CBC News
    Sen. Murray Sinclair is retiring from the Senate to work on mentoring young lawyers in Indigenous law and to write his memoirs. "Since working on the [Truth and Reconciliation Commission], we have seen a shift in how our country understands and speaks of residential schools and Indigenous issues in Canada," Sinclair said in a media statement. Source
  • Waterloo-based gun wholesaler accused of alleged $48-million fraud

    Canada News CTV News
    WATERLOO -- Waterloo firearms seller Trigger Wholesale, Inc. is facing allegations that it is millions of dollars in debt, and that its directors and officers were behind what its creditor calls “a massive fraud.” Trigger is an importer/exporter and wholesale distributer of firearms that it says works with federally licensed dealers, retailers, law enforcement and government and military agencies across Canada. Source
  • Her classroom is a school change room. Here's how she's making online teaching work

    Canada News CBC News
    There are no windows in Robyn O'Drowsky's classroom. Her walls would usually be plastered with posters and kids' art. Instead, she's staring at drab off-white brick, a few lockers and more coat hooks than she has coats. Source
  • Taiwan lawmakers throw pig guts, punches in parliament debate on U.S. pork

    World News CBC News
    Lawmakers in Taiwan got into a fist fight and threw pig guts at each other Friday over a soon-to-be enacted policy that would allow imports of U.S. pork and beef. Premier Su Tseng-chang was due to give a regularly scheduled policy report to lawmakers on Friday morning about the pork policy when opposition party lawmakers from the Nationalist party, also known as the KMT, blocked his attempt to speak by dumping bags of pig organs. Source
  • 2 detained for speaking Spanish settle border patrol lawsuit

    World News CTV News
    HELENA, MONT. -- Two women who were detained in northern Montana by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents for speaking Spanish while shopping at a convenience store have reached an undisclosed monetary settlement in their lawsuit against the agency, the ACLU of Montana announced Tuesday. Source
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns against consuming meat bottled by P.E.I. man

    Canada News CTV News
    CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. -- The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued a warning against consuming beef and chicken that was bottled by a Prince Edward Island man and sold through classified ads in provincial newspapers. The agency says the meat products made by Robert Waite of Tignish, P.E.I. Source
  • 2 women detained in U.S. for speaking Spanish settle border patrol lawsuit

    World News CTV News
    HELENA, MONT. -- Two women who were detained in northern Montana by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents for speaking Spanish while shopping at a convenience store have reached an undisclosed monetary settlement in their lawsuit against the agency, the ACLU of Montana announced Tuesday. Source
  • Women in B.C. have fared worse than men during the pandemic, study finds

    Canada News CBC News
    At the onset of the pandemic in March, 60 per cent more jobs were lost by women than men in the province, according to a new report by the B.C. Women's Health Foundation. The study found that women have been negatively affected by COVID-19 to a disproportionate degree, as they are more likely to work public-facing positions and were forced to take on increased responsibilities as the pandemic deepened. Source
  • Rogers says plans for Blue Jays' stadium on hold amid pandemic despite report of possible demolition

    Canada News CBC News
    Rogers Communications Inc. says it was exploring the future of its Toronto stadium prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the virus has caused it to put those plans on hold. The telecommunications company and owner of the Blue Jays baseball team says its primary focus this year is keeping staff safe and maintaining operations, and it has no update on the status of the Rogers Centre stadium. Source
  • Toronto BBQ restaurant owner who opened despite COVID-19 lockdown granted bail

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The owner of a Toronto barbecue restaurant that openly defied public health restrictions has been granted bail. Adam Skelly, 33, declared on social media Monday night that he would open his BBQ restaurant in Etobocike to in-person dining despite provincial lockdown orders for Toronto and Peel Region. Source