'Heartwarming' video of helpful bus driver goes viral

An Ottawa bus driver caught on video helping commuters following the city's first major winter storm is being recognized for his kind gesture.

See Full Article

An Ottawa resident captured the video on Tuesday as she was waiting for her bus.

"It was something that I don't see every day," Adriesca Julot told CTVNews.ca in a telephone interview from Ottawa on Wednesday. "It was very heartwarming."

In the video, the coatless driver disembarks from the vehicle and offers a hand to every commuter boarding the bus.

Julot posted the video to her Facebook page on Tuesday where she wrote that the driver's kind gesture had restored her faith in humanity.

Faith restored in humanity. This bus driver in Ottawa gets out his bus to help his passengers on board. it was an incredible thing to witness. We need more individuals like this gentleman in this world.#BeGreat #Ottawarians #Humanity #FinestFind this man! Let him know he has done great! #Like #Share

Posted by Adriesca Julot on Tuesday, December 29, 2015

As of Wednesday afternoon, the video has been viewed more than 400,000 times and shared more than 11,000 times.

OC Transpo has since announced that the driver, who has yet to be publically identified, will receive an official commendation.

@Ami02 Hello, we've identified him and he'll be receiving an official commendation!

— OC Transpo (@OC_Transpo) December 30, 2015

Julot said commuters were already facing long delays on Tuesday after the first winter storm of the season dropped more than 20 centimetres of snow on the city.

When she first noticed the driver come off the bus, she thought he would help an elderly woman who was first in line to board. But she was surprised when he helped each passenger waiting at the Rideau Street stop.

Julot said she wishes she had started filming the video sooner, but admits she was taken aback by the driver's kindness.

"I was so stuck in the moment," she said.

The 18-year-old said she's astonishedby the feedback she's received from the video, but notes, "all the credit" should go to the driver.

"He's an inspiration," she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Autopsy: California's 'I-5 Strangler' was strangled himself

    World News CTV News
    IONE, CALIF -- A California serial killer who authorities say strangled and raped at least seven women was fatally choked himself in a state prison, officials said Wednesday. Roger Reece Kibbe, 81, known as the "I-5 Strangler" in the 1970s and 1980s, was spotted unresponsive Sunday in his cell at Mule Creek State Prison southeast of Sacramento -- his 40-year-old cellmate standing nearby. Source
  • U.K. police rule out criminal inquiry into 1995 interview with Diana, Princess of Wales

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British police said on Thursday they had ruled out a criminal investigation into the famous 1995 BBC interview with the late Diana, Princess of Wales after complaints from her brother that she had been tricked into taking part with the use of forged documents. Source
  • WHO says most African countries to begin vaccination drives by end of March

    World News CBC News
    Most African countries will kick-start their COVID-19 vaccination programs by the end of March as efforts to procure doses for the continent's 1.3 billion people gather pace, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday. The world's poorest continent faces logistical and financial obstacles to securing all the vaccines it needs, but the WHO-led COVAX facility has begun to bear fruit. Source
  • Analysts see Canada's new push for permanent residents as a short-term solution

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Canada's recent move to offer permanent residency to more foreigners living and working in the country is a short-term solution to the economic problems spurred by a pandemic-related immigration slowdown, analysts say, while critics argue the strategy excludes too many vulnerable people. Source
  • Brutal crackdown widely filmed but Myanmar protests carry on

    World News CTV News
    Footage of Myanmar security forces chasing down demonstrators protesting a coup, shooting a civilian at point-blank range and savagely beating others have revealed the extent of a brutal crackdown that saw 38 people shot and killed in a single day. Source
  • 1,500 of nearly 1.1M COVID-19 vaccine doses wasted in Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario wasted 1,500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine during its three-month long inoculation campaign, CTV News Toronto has learned, despite an effort to avoid vaccine wastage. Data provided by the Ministry of Health shows approximately 1,100 of 871,800 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine (0.1 per cent) and 400 of 220,200 doses of the Moderna vaccine (0.2 per cent) went to waste between Dec. Source
  • 17,000 earthquakes hit Iceland in the past week. An eruption could be imminent

    World News CTV News
    Even for a volcanic island accustomed to the occasional tremor, this has been an unusual week for Iceland. According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, around 17,000 earthquakes have hit the southwestern region of Reykjanes over the past week. Source
  • Chaos as freed Nigerian schoolgirls reunited with families

    World News CTV News
    JANGEBE, NIGERIA -- Hundreds of Nigerian girls abducted last week from a boarding school in the country's northwest have been returned to their families amid chaos as security forces opened fire on a gathering outside the school where the reunions were held Wednesday. Source
  • Feds on high alert Thursday after warnings about potential threats to U.S. Capitol

    World News CTV News
    Federal law enforcement is on high alert Thursday in the wake of an intelligence bulletin issued earlier this week about a group of violent militia extremists having discussed plans to take control of the U.S. Capitol and remove Democratic lawmakers on or about March 4 -- a date when some conspiracy theorists believe former U.S. Source
  • Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip has had a successful heart procedure

    World News CBC News
    Prince Philip has had a successful heart procedure at a London hospital, Buckingham Palace said Thursday. The palace says the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, "underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew's Hospital. Source