'A new start': Ottawa couple wins years-long struggle to bring son to Canada

After nearly three years, an Ottawa couple will soon be able to bring their young son to live with them in Canada after the federal government granted him a temporary resident permit.

See Full Article

Bhavna Bajaj and her husband, Aman Sood, have been working to bring their four-and-a-half year old son, Daksh, to Canada since they arrived in the country in 2013.

The two have been separated from him since they immigrated as permanent residents, and have been unable to bring him to live with them in their Ottawa home.

An online petition was launched to support their case, and, last Tuesday, Bajaj hand-delivered the petition to Immigration Minister John McCallum herself.

To her surprise, McCallum called her the next day to tell her that the government would be granting their son a temporary resident permit, meaning he could soon join them in this country. The minister also told her that the government would work on granting him permanent residency, she said.

Bajaj said she was stunned by the call.

"I had brain freeze for a few minutes," she told CTVNews.ca. "As a mother, I have been trying this for nearly three years, and to get it in one day from the immigration minister … it's like a whole new life has started."

The case stems from January, 2013, when the couple arrived in Canada as permanent residents from India.

When they had first applied to immigrate to Canada in 2011, Bajaj was pregnant with a child in England. As the file was being processed, she gave birth to a boy, who the couple named Daksh.

When she told her independent immigration consultant in England that she now had a child, they told her she could go to Canada first and apply to sponsor her son afterwards.

She and her husband decided to move first, thinking they would apply to bring their son over once they were working and were more settled. She said that they were following advice from the immigration consultant, and did not know that they were breaking a Citizenship and Immigration Canada rule.

While she recognizes that she and her husband have missed much of the first few years of her son's life, she's thinking only about their future together.

"I know, as a mother and a father, we have missed some of his precious moments. But I think it's a new start," she said. "I don't want to think about that; I just want to think about his future."

Bajaj thanked all the people who signed the petition and supported her case, as well as the immigration minister and prime minister for giving her renewed "hope."

As for Daksh, she said he's excitedly preparing for his new life in Canada.

"He's packing his bags. He's telling me 'I'm going to bring this toy and this toy,'" she said, laughing. "I told him, 'I'm not sure about the toys.'"



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Lawyer for accused in Amber Alert case doesn't think man would have known kid was in SUV

    Canada News CTV News
    NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. -- A legal aid lawyer for a Saskatchewan man charged in a case that sparked an Amber Alert earlier this month says he doesn't believe the accused would deliberately abduct a child. Source
  • UN rushes aid to hunger-stricken Yemeni district

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- The United Nations and individual donors are rushing food to a desperate corner of northern Yemen where starving villagers were found to be living off leaves. Aid officials are searching for ways to ensure aid reaches those in need amid alarm that the country's hunger crisis is worsening beyond the relief effort's already strained capabilities. Source
  • Quebec man sentenced to prison in New York for marijuana smuggling

    Canada News CTV News
    ALBANY, N.Y. -- A 41-year old Canadian man has been sentenced to more than 11 years in prison for conspiring to smuggle thousands of pounds of marijuana into the United States through the Akwesasne Mohawk Indian Reservation in northern New York. Source
  • Caregiver charged with attempted murder in newborn stabbings

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A 52-year-old caregiver was charged in the knife attack on five people, including three newborn babies, at a home that was apparently being used as an unlicensed nursery for new mothers and their children. Source
  • Could legislation give air travellers more legroom?

    Canada News CTV News
    Some Canadians are hoping the federal government will follow the lead of U.S. lawmakers who want to require a minimum amount of legroom on airplanes. A bill currently working its way through Congress would give the U.S. Source
  • New York Review of Books admits to 'failures' in handling of Ghomeshi essay

    Canada News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The New York Review of Books is acknowledging its "failures in the presentation and editing" of a much-maligned essay by disgraced former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. A statement released by the esteemed literary outlet says Ghomeshi's piece, "Reflections from a Hashtag," was shown to only one male editor and that most members of the staff were excluded from the editorial process. Source
  • 3rd tornado confirmed to have hit eastern Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    Environment Canada has confirmed that a third tornado touched down in Calabogie, Ont., on Friday, the same day that two other twisters tore through Ottawa-Gatineau. The tornado touched down shortly after 4:15 p.m. and tracked roughly 15 kilometres east to White Lake, the weather agency said. Source
  • Kavanaugh says he won't let 'false accusations' push him out

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh declared in a televised interview Monday that he never sexually assaulted anyone in high school or at any other time in his life. Kavanaugh and his wife, Ashley, sat down for an interview with Fox News Channel's "The Story with Martha MacCallum" after a second woman accused him of sexual misconduct. Source
  • Volunteers share skills and supplies with Ottawa region storm victims

    Canada News CBC News
    Talented carpenters, arborists, cooks, drivers, therapists and babysitters are offering their services and supplies to those affected by the tornadoes that struck the Ottawa-Gatineau region on Sept. 21. Eli El-Chantiry, the city councillor for the Dunrobin area, said it was a pleasant surprise Monday morning when about 70 volunteers showed up at the West Carleton Secondary School to help out. Source
  • Killer nurse 'cried for help,' surviving victim tells inquiry

    Canada News CTV News
    A woman who was nearly killed by an Ontario nurse who murdered eight people gave an emotional statement at a public inquiry Monday in St. Thomas, Ont. Beverly Bertram, who survived one of Elizabeth Wettlaufer's attacks in August 2016, said that more attention needs to be paid not only to those in care, but also to people like Wettlaufer. Source