Mohamed Fahmy seeks to reclaim his Egyptian citizenship

TORONTO — A Canadian journalist who spent much of the last two years jailed in Egypt said Monday his lawyer has requested Egyptian authorities restore the citizenship he renounced in order to win his release.

See Full Article

Mohamed Fahmy, a former Al-Jazeera journalist who was released in September after receiving a pardon Egypt's president, was a dual citizen but renounced his Egyptian citizenship late last year after being asked to do as a condition of his release. He said he never wanted to do that.

Fahmy was arrested in 2013 with two Al-Jazeera English colleagues. In a case widely condemned by rights groups, he was sentenced to three years in prison in a retrial this year for airing what a court described as "false news" and coverage biased in favor of the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood. After he renounced the citizenship, Fahmy underwent trial and was sentenced to prison for three years and only released through a pardon in late September.

Fahmy now lives in Canada but owns property in Egypt and said reclaiming citizenship is a matter of principle.

"I want to go and report there one day," he said. "It's still part of my being. It would really be annoying to get a visa to go back to Egypt."

His lawyer submitted the request to the Ministry of Interior on Monday. He said Egyptian law states that the minister of interior and the president of Egypt are both authorized to grant the citizenship.

Fahmy is currently an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia but said he is itching to report again.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Suicide bomber blows himself up as Saudis foil Mecca plot

    World News CBC News
    A suicide bomber blew himself up near the Grand Mosque in Mecca as police disrupted a plot to target the holiest site in Islam just as the fasting month of Ramadan ends, Saudi security forces said Saturday. Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $10M Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - No winning ticket was sold for the $10 million jackpot in Friday night's Lotto Max draw. That means the jackpot for the next draw on June 30 will grow to approximately $15 million. Source
  • Death toll in Pakistan attacks climbs to 73

    World News CTV News
    PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- The death toll from twin blasts in the northwestern town of Parachinar climbed to 55 overnight, bringing the overall death toll from three separate attacks in Pakistan on Friday to 73, with several others in critical condition, officials said. Source
  • Sand sculpture festival brings movie characters to Belgian beach

    World News CBC News
    A beach in Belgium is featuring larger-than-life super heroes, cartoon characters and Cinderella's castle. It's part of the Ostend Sand Sculpture Festival. A team of 32 artists worked with 7,000 tonnes of sand for more than five weeks to create the sculptures. Source
  • Death toll from Pakistan attacks climbs to 73

    World News CBC News
    The death toll from twin blasts in the northwestern town of Parachinar climbed to 55 overnight, bringing the overall death toll from three separate attacks in Pakistan on Friday to 73, with several others in critical condition, officials said. Source
  • The most popular political Facebook group in Ontario targets Kathleen Wynne

    Canada News CBC News
    A new political force in Ontario is exploding on social media, with defeating Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals in the 2018 election as its key goal. It's called Ontario Proud, and its Facebook page has amassed nearly 145,000 followers — more than the provincial Liberals, PCs and NDP combined. Source
  • These Indigenous artists say there's more to life than being 'left on the reserve'

    Canada News CBC News
    Montana Summers hasn't been dancing all that long, but he's ready to play to a packed 9,000-seat venue — in front of one of his favourite childhood pop stars. Summers, 19, has been tapped to perform alongside a handful of young dancers at the July 16 opening ceremony for the North American Indigenous Games in Toronto. Source
  • 100 people feared buried in China landslide

    World News CBC News
    A county government in southwestern China says around 100 people from 40 homes are feared buried by a landslide that crashed into their homes. The government of Mao county in Sichuan province says the landslide from a mountain fell onto the village of Xinmo at about 6 a.m. Source
  • 120 people feared buried in China landslide

    World News CBC News
    A county government in southwestern China says around 100 people from 40 homes are feared buried by a landslide that crashed into their homes. The government of Mao county in Sichuan province says the landslide from a mountain fell onto the village of Xinmo at about 6 a.m. Source
  • Wainwright-based military member charged with child porn offences

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Wainwright-based soldier is charged with child pornography related offences after a joint investigation by the province’s Internet Child Exploitation unit and the U.S. Homeland Security Investigations. It’s alleged the man attempted to arrange to meet up with a Texas girl for sex, says a Friday news release from the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams. Source