On-demand snow removal service launching in Maritimes

HALIFAX -- A New Brunswick man wants Atlantic Canadians to give their backs a break from shovelling this winter with a new on-demand snow removal service.

See Full Article

Sean Griffith is launching an Uber-like snow removal service in the coming weeks in Moncton and Saint John, N.B., and Halifax, with plans to roll out the business soon after in Fredericton, Truro, N.S., Charlottetown and St. John's, N.L.

Griffith said the idea for Plow Me Out came after last year's brutal winter in the Maritimes, which saw record breaking snowfall amounts.

"Last year, people in this region got to the point where we just couldn't shovel anymore," said Griffith with a laugh.

"After moving into our first house, we realized that we get a lot of snow and shovelling it ourselves really isn't working. But we still weren't ready to commit to a yearly contract and we tried to find somebody who could do it on a one-off basis, but didn't have much luck."

Griffith said people will create an account on their website or through the Plow Me Out app and will answer a few questions about their driveway, which will render a quote.

Once the snow clearing is requested, a notification goes out to an array of snow contractors in the area, he said.

Customers will also be able to pay online through Plow Me Out from the comfort of their couch.

He said the request can be made from anywhere, so travellers won't have to dig their way into their homes when they return.

Griffith said many plow operators have been receptive to the idea as it drums up new business and makes requesting a plow more accessible.

"The service was developed from a customer perspective but also a snow plow operator's perspective," said Griffith, who co-founded the business with Joe Simms of Halifax. "A lot of companies like the idea because we're delivering business directly to them."

Griffith said eventually, he hopes to expand his business countrywide.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Niagara police say woman was bound and left to die in burning home; offer reward

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. CATHARINES, Ont. -- Niagara regional police are offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the 2010 death of a 74-year-old who was tied up and left to die in her burning home. Source
  • Scammers told man case containing lottery winnings could explode, police say

    Canada News CTV News
    PETERBOROUGH, Ont. -- Provincial police say they had to close their Peterborough, Ont., detachment for several hours after a man brought in a briefcase he thought contained an explosive device. OPP say the man arrived at the detachment late Wednesday morning, saying he'd received a call about winning a lottery in the United States. Source
  • Members of two Hells Angels support gangs arrested in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. -- Charges have been laid against two members of separate outlaw motorcycle gangs that police say are among about two dozen support clubs for the Hells Angels in Alberta. The Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team says two Fort McMurray men were arrested in the city last Wednesday following a drug trafficking investigation. Source
  • Compromise proposed in dispute over police presence in Vancouver Pride Parade

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Pride Society has responded to demands that police be banned from marching in the city's annual Pride Parade with the suggestion that officers show up in fewer numbers and leave their uniforms at home. Source
  • Fritz Koenig, sculptor whose art withstood 9/11 attack, dies

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Fritz Koenig, a German sculptor whose work "The Sphere" became a symbol of resilience after the 9/11 attacks in New York, has died. He was 92. Koenig, who was already a well-known artist thanks to his distinctive large statues and sculptures, created the ball-shaped bronze over a four-year period starting in 1967. Source
  • Police investigating after 7-year-old hands out pills on Quebec school bus

    Canada News CBC News
    Quebec provincial police are investigating after a seven-year-old boy handed out pills on a school bus this week, telling other children the pills were candy. Police said the child attends La Passerelle elementary school in Saint-Paul, on the outskirts of Joliette in the Lanaudière region northeast of Montreal. Source
  • Will we be able to cope with possible deluge of migrants fleeing U.S. for Canada?

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA - As desperate asylum seekers continue to flee the Trump administration's immigration crackdown by crossing into Canada, concern is growing here over whether the country will be able to cope if the number of migrants keeps growing. Source
  • Jail for man who bit off part of fellow mourner's nose at drunken wake

    Canada News CTV News
    PICTOU, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia man convicted of biting off part of a fellow mourner's nose in a drunken brawl at a wake has been sentenced to six months in jail. Randall Edwin MacLean was convicted of aggravated assault last October. Source
  • 'A feral cat is better off dead'; Hunter blasted over his war on felines

    World News Toronto Sun
    Sam Wood has been a proponent of hunting and killing invasive species, such as wild hogs, that can threaten the native ecosystems for years. His Facebook page is filled with photos showing the 48-year-old outdoorsman taking down sparrows and starlings, pigeons and rats. Source
  • Innocent grandma sucker-punched by deli thief dies of injuries

    World News Toronto Sun
    An elderly woman who was sucker punched by a career criminal while standing outside a New York deli has died, four months after the attack. Eve Gentillon, 69, succumbed to her injuries Friday in Queens Hospital. Her cause of death was a result of “traumatic brain injury caused by blunt force trauma,” according to the New York Post. Source