B.C. man launches lawsuit claiming ownership of $50 million lottery jackpot

VANCOUVER -- A British Columbia man is taking the province's lottery agency to court, saying he is the rightful winner of a $50 million jackpot handed out earlier this month.

See Full Article

George Wilson-Tagoe filed a notice of civil claim in B.C. Supreme court this week, saying that he purchased the winning ticket from a gas station on his way to work on March 11, 2014.

He said he scanned the ticket, noticed an unusual pattern, and then lost it, possibly throwing it in the trash with old tickets.

"I looked everywhere for the ticket. Couldn't find it," he is quoted in the court documents.

Wilson-Tagoe said he called the B.C. Lottery Corporation and told them what happened.

The allegations contained in the lawsuit have not been proven in court

Angela Koulyras, a spokeswoman for BCLC, said she could not comment on the specifics of the case, but that the agency will be filing a defence against the allegations.

The agency awarded the massive prize to Friedrich Mayrhofer on Dec. 15, nearly two years after the March 2014 Lotto Max draw.

Mayrhofer said earlier this month that the delay in coming forward was due to his family being private and concerned they wouldn't be able to handle the money.

He could not be immediately reached about the legal action against the lottery corporation.

The BCLC received 739 inquiries about the winning ticket and reviewed every claim thoroughly before handing over the $50 million prize to the people verified as the rightful ticket owners, Koulyras said.

"Throughout this process BCLC was guided by maintaining the integrity of the lottery system, which we uphold by ensuring prizes are paid to the right people," she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Uber admits to underpaying NYC drivers by millions of dollars

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Uber has admitted to underpaying its New York City drivers tens of millions of dollars for the past 2 1/2 years. The ride-hailing company on Tuesday said each affected driver would get a refund of about $900, which includes interest. Source
  • N.S. boy clothes the homeless to cope with father's tragic death

    Canada News CTV News
    Ken Gordon was known for dropping everything to help anyone who needed it. The 54-year-old was killed at the side of a Nova Scotia highway while checking the cargo in the back of his truck in March. Source
  • Montreal schizophrenia patients face their demons through virtual reality

    Canada News CBC News
    A pilot project at Montreal's Philippe-Pinel Institute has patients with schizophrenia confronting voices that torment them by way of a virtual reality experience. The project, developed by psychiatrist and researcher Alexandre Dumais, allows patients to create computer-generated avatars that look and talk like the demons they face inside their heads. Source
  • OPP officer charged with criminal harassment and 2 counts sexual assault

    Canada News CTV News
    SMITHS FALLS, Ont. - An eastern Ontario provincial police is facing charges in an ongoing domestic investigation. They say the investigation stems from incidents that are alleged to have occurred while the officer was off duty. Source
  • Online threat against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau leads to arrest of Lethbridge woman

    Canada News CBC News
    A Lethbridge, Alta. woman is facing charges after allegedly posting threats online against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, wife of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The RCMP's Integrated National Security Enforcement Team based in Alberta — K-INSET — was alerted to the threats made against the Canadian government on May 11 and an arrest was made the next day. Source
  • Thunder Bay, Ont., police chief charged with breach of trust, obstructing justice

    Canada News CTV News
    ORILLIA, Ont. -- The police chief of a northwestern Ontario city is facing charges following a five-month investigation into alleged criminal wrongdoing. Ontario Provincial Police say Jean Paul Levesque, 53, of Thunder Bay, Ont. Source
  • Two men in Indonesia caned dozens of times for having gay sex [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BANDA ACEH, INDONESIA - Two men in Indonesia’s Aceh province were publicly caned dozens of times Tuesday for consensual gay sex, a punishment that intensifies an anti-gay backlash in the world’s most populous Muslim country and which rights advocates denounced as “medieval torture. Source
  • Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi had ‘face of hate’ [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Is Donald in the doghouse? Melania appears to reject hand...again

    World News Toronto Sun
    Call it ‘swat-gate’ or whatever you’d like, but the Internet is abuzz after first lady Melania Trump has appeared to reject her husband’s hand for the second time in as many days. On Monday, as President Donald Trump walked the red carpet following a speech from the tarmac at Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, Israeli news organization Haaretz pointed out that Melania appeared to ‘swat’ away the president’s hand as he reached out towards hers. Source
  • Video of fight with Syrian, Canadian students sparks protest at Alberta school

    Canada News CTV News
    RED DEER, Alta. -- Educators and RCMP are trying to keep the peace at a central Alberta school after someone posted a video on social media of a fight between a small group of Syrian and Canadian students. Source